.oga vs. .ogg ---- .oga not recognizable by Sansa Clip 2gb

The title kind of speaks for itself.  I just got a Sansa Clip 2gb.  I use Linux, so my CD ripper rips to the ogg format of .oga.  I put these files in the music folder, and the player does not recognize them.  This is the case even after upgrading to the latest firmware.  Am I missing something?  Isn’t .oga the same the as .ogg, but it just specifies that the .ogg files is audio only?

Thanks!:robotmad:

Sansa Clip only plays ogg vorbis data.

While .ogg is for Vorbis only, .oga is for OGG container audio (Vorbis, Speex, FLAC, Squish or oggpcm audio streams).

That’s why files must have .ogg expansion for the Clip to recognize them. 

You can rename .oga to .ogg and the Clip will play it but it’s a hassle.  Xiph.org (you could say the developers) has made a request that .ogg files containing audio (Vorbis) be encoded with the file extension .oga and video (Theora) be encoded with the file extension .ogv (their wiki http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME\_Types\_and\_File\_Extensions).  I believe that Sansa should update the firmware to let the Clip recognize and play .oga files just like .ogg since it will be better for users and the new Linux distros are complying with Xiph.org and applying .oga extension to ripped music.

@notbitmonk wrote:
You can rename .oga to .ogg and the Clip will play it but it’s a hassle.  Xiph.org (you could say the developers) has made a request that .ogg files containing audio (Vorbis) be encoded with the file extension .oga and video (Theora) be encoded with the file extension .ogv (their wiki http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME\_Types\_and\_File\_Extensions).  I believe that Sansa should update the firmware to let the Clip recognize and play .oga files just like .ogg since it will be better for users and the new Linux distros are complying with Xiph.org and applying .oga extension to ripped music.

So how recent is this?  I use oggenc on a linux box and it is still generating the .ogg extension.

Ubuntu 8.10 with the software Audio CD Extractor.

Hi - want to vote for this feature, too.  Hope we can see support for *.OGA files in a future firmware release.  It is part of the Vorbis standard.

Also, hope to see FLAC-in-Ogg supported with tags, too, and again also supporting *.OGA file extensions there.

Thanks for an otherwise awesome media player.

Please forgive me for reposting this question in this thread, but I thought the Unix folks might be able to help.

In order to use the latest “fine tuned” version of Ogg Vorbis to encode music for my Clip, I downloaded the:

Mac OS/X binaries

Users of Mac OS/X can download the following pack of tools:

These seem to be Unix files. I understand that Mac o.s. X is based on Unix.  
When I double click on them, they open up in a terminal window.

I have not done anything in a terminal window since I abandoned DOS/Windows a million years ago.

Are there any links to websites/forums with directions on how to use these Unix binary tools on a Mac?

Is it supposed to be self explanatory?

Is there a way to run this as a normal Mac GUI app instead of in a terminal window?

Thanks in advance, to anyone who can help with this.

Happy trails…

PS I would like to see suport for *.OGA files in a future firmware release.  It is part of the Vorbis standard.

Also, hope to see FLAC-in-Ogg supported with tags.

Yes, I had this same problem with Ubuntu 8.10. In my experience, it was the only Linux Distribution that defaulted to .oga. I am using the release canditate for Ubuntu 9.04 (to be released in seven days) and it has switched back to .ogg as default. This is not an overly lasting issue, then. You can also change the default file extentsion in Rhythmbox before you encode.

As for changing the extensions after they have been created, I have no idea how to fix that. I’m sure there’s an application out there if you search Synaptic or Google, though. I know there’s a ton of great id3 tag editors in 8.10’s repository; you might want to see if any of them let you edit the enditings en masse.

@wavysclip wrote:

Please forgive me for reposting this question in this thread, but I thought the Unix folks might be able to help.

In order to use the latest “fine tuned” version of Ogg Vorbis to encode music for my Clip, I downloaded the:

Mac OS/X binaries

Users of Mac OS/X can download the following pack of tools:

These seem to be Unix files. I understand that Mac o.s. X is based on Unix.  
When I double click on them, they open up in a terminal window.

I have not done anything in a terminal window since I abandoned DOS/Windows a million years ago.

Are there any links to websites/forums with directions on how to use these Unix binary tools on a Mac?

Is it supposed to be self explanatory?

Is there a way to run this as a normal Mac GUI app instead of in a terminal window?

Thanks in advance, to anyone who can help with this.

Happy trails…

PS I would like to see suport for *.OGA files in a future firmware release.  It is part of the Vorbis standard.

Also, hope to see FLAC-in-Ogg supported with tags.

Sorry for double posting.

If you’re looking for a GUI app for OGG encoding, you’re barking up the wrong tree; the terminal app isn’t so easy to use unless you want to learn how to use it, what arguments to type behind it, etc. If you’re determined to use that file without learning something, then find a good GUI music app that uses that terminal file to encode. For example, on Windows, Exact Audio Copy uses LAME MP3 terminal applications to make its MP3 files.

Unfortunately, I know little to nothing about Macs and their audio players. Hopefully a few google searches will find what you desire.

(I’ll tell you a secret, though - unless you’re a really well-to-do audiophile who lives and breathes the Hydrogen Audio forums, you don’t need that binary. A common ogg encoder in any usual audio player/encoder does fine with average, 160 kbps encoding. So if you find an audio player that doesn’t use that exact file, don’t fret all too hard - your ogg files will work perfectly either way.)

Aberinkulas wrote: 

(I’ll tell you a secret, though - unless you’re a really well-to-do audiophile who lives and breathes the Hydrogen Audio forums, you don’t need that binary. A common ogg encoder in any usual audio player/encoder does fine with average, 160 kbps encoding. 

???  aoTuV doesn’t cost anything, so where does “well-to-do” come from?  Wealth = taste?

donp,

I think He means, expensive play back equipment, i.e. head phones/amp n speakers.

Aberinkulus,

Thanks much for the reply,

That’s pretty much the information I was looking for.

I do listen with some excellent gear at times and wanted to “max out the performance”.:wink:

The Clip really is a very fine music player. With proper encoding and good head phones or speakers, you can hear a lot of detail.

My plan is to eventually mirror my entire FLAC music  collection onto a second drive encoded in Vorbis (for my laptop and clip), so I’m trying to find the best quality/compression compromise and the most practical work flow using the latest tools available.

Then I will apply it to the whole collection.

I’m satisfied that, for the time being, one of the Mac programs Toast, Ogg Drop or Switch will produce satisfactory results with Ogg Vorbis quality set to 6.

(I’ll do test encodings with each program and examine the file info of each result, to see which program is using the latest codec)

I’ll take a closer look at the Hydrogen Audio forums and the command line option later (for old times sake).

Thanks again for the advice and 

Happy Trails…

Message Edited by wavysclip on 04-20-2009 02:17 AM