Official Request - Volume Lock

I looked but did not find. Is this forum the proper place to make requests for future firmware updates (do they even look here for suggestions). If not please point me in the right direction.

My Request:

I almost bought a Nano over a Fuze for my son’s birthday. My daughter has a Nano and it has a volume lock feature which requires a four-digit code to unlock. I have a Fuze so I know it doesn’t have this feature. I love this feature for the Nano so as to keep my kids from blowing out their hearing. Is Sanza considering something similar? I would really like to set a max volume level for my son’s Fuze. 

They might take the request, and they might not. But this is the right place! This feature will probably not be in the next firmware because they’re already done with it, and it’s in Q & A testing; But maybe the one after that.

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully they keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks

blkhwk91b 

There is a Volume limiter available for the Fuze. 

Under Settings>System Settings>Volume>  select “Normal”.  This will limit the max volume.  Its not password protected,  but you can tell your kids not to mess with the settings.

@sansafix, I’ve been wondering this: my e200 had the volume option, but my Fuze doesn’t! I have The latest American firmware, so why is it not there?

@blkhwk91b, you’re welcome! Sansa is one of the only companies that have added features from the forum (sometimes), so it’s possible!

Message Edited by gabe565 on 08-18-2008 02:54 PM

Message Edited by gabe565 on 08-18-2008 02:54 PM

Scroll down on the System settings screen, its there after Brightness.

Hold on, let me go get my Fuze and check

Yep, there it is, I’m not sure why I didn’t see it! Thanks

Message Edited by gabe565 on 08-18-2008 02:56 PM

I’m supportive of the idea for a lockable volume limiter, perhaps one that is toggled from the PC side, as it’s nice to be able to limit the kids’ tendency to blast their ears.

The problem is that once you have a code in the works, imagine the headaches involved as users forget the code, or a clever teen enters a code before the parent does, blocking the feature.  “I dunno, Dad, I’ve never touched that!” 

I’ll ship the support staff a case of Tylenol before adding such a problem to the works.

I guess it falls into the most important three (four)  words, often forgotten today:  you’re the parents.  I know, it’s a dirty job, but somebody’s got to do it.  Keep your ears peeled for the sound of a wailing earbud, or have a look at that volume display randomly.  They’ll get the picture.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@sansafix wrote:

There is a Volume limiter available for the Fuze. 

Under Settings>System Settings>Volume>  select “Normal”.  This will limit the max volume.  Its not password protected,  but you can tell your kids not to mess with the settings.

I am aware of the two settings but there is no way to “lock” in to the Normal one. My son is smart enough to figure out the settings on the Fuze.

To the other poster, please don’t turn this into a philosophical debate about parenting. I am well aware it is not Sandisk’s responsibility to raise my kid (ridiculous insinuation). I am, however, wise enough to know that kids will be kids, that’s why I’m here inquiring. If hearing loss wasn’t such a paramount and permanent thing, I wouldn’t care.

Nothing wrong with asking for the option in my humble opinion.