Increase playback time?

I currently have the majority of my music files with the Clip Zip in MP3 format.

Problem is, many are 250 - 320 bits, and this player is HORRIBLE with higher bitrates. 

I had the Fuze, which broke, so I bought this one. To my dismay, the battery life is noticably shorter. I probably get 5 hours AT MOST with my MP3 files.

So I’m thinking of converting them to something else like AAC or WMA. I do have a few that are WMA, with lower bit rates, and the audio quality doesn’t seem much different.

What I’m going for is longer battery life without trying to sacrifice a whole heck of a lot of sound quality. If I want to convert, what would be the best file type? Or, would the Lame MP3 encoder be a better idea? I love this MP3 player, and the SD slot makes it so much better, but the battery life kills everything. I’ve had Philips cheap MP3 players and they can pull off MUCH BETTER battery life than anything Sandisk puts out. It’s sad. I was happy with my Go Gear Vibe until it broke. Not looking to spend any more money of MP3 players.

The help is MUCH appreciated! 

Thanks. - Jay

sounds like a defective battery.

WIth higher variable bit rate MP3 files, I still get over 10 hours battery life . . . .

Oho!  The CZ plays variable rate MP3s?   My old e280 could only handle constant rate MP3s.

Yep, MP3 variable bit rate files play just fine. To the original poster with the battery time issue, if you still are within the player’s warranty period, you should contact SanDisk for a player warranty replacement.

@makaiguy wrote:

Oho!  The CZ plays variable rate MP3s?   My old e280 could only handle constant rate MP3s.

My Clip Zips and my e280v1 all play VBR MP3…of course, they all have Rockbox installed. (never used the e280 original firmware)