Holy Grail for photographers? ALMOST (part 1)

I’ve been looking for some time for a reliable solid state field backup device for SD cards for my professional photography. I just learned of of the Wireless Media Drive ((along with the Wireless Flash Drive) and thought the solution was at hand. I now see that this device cannot currently support direct downloading of SD cards and is intended more as a media hub. The hardware is there for evrything on my wish list (I think…),

I don’t know which if any of these things are possible, but this is my wishlist:

• The device would handle standalone SD card incremental backup (only download new files since last backup.) Second best would be to enable backups through an iOS app, but for working photographers it would be great to just insert the card, press a button and get back to work. I can’t find the manual to download, but it appears there is a hardware button on the device. Would it possible to assign the download function to this button?
  • Any file type could be downloaded, espeically RAW files of all flavors. RAW file are very large, so this might be too slow via wi-fi, hence the direct card download request.
  • Enableiwireless backup (also incremental) from wi-fi capable SD cards such as the Eye-Fi.
  • Secondary backup of photo files on drive to DropBox or elsewhere in cloud (is this already possible?)
  • Expand drive capacity to 128GB (I know it will be pricey, professionals will pay it.)

PLEASE come up with with a firmware update to make tat least some of hese things possible. If you so, I think you will find a large market among professional and enthusiast photographers. Especiall if the implimentation is simple.

Thoughts?

I can see how these requests could be very useful for photographers. That said I do not think you will see many of these features implemented. This product seems to be designed and marketed as a media server type device. 

@pshambroom wrote:

I’ve been looking for some time for a reliable solid state field backup device for SD cards for my professional photography. I just learned of of the Wireless Media Drive ((along with the Wireless Flash Drive) and thought the solution was at hand. I now see that this device cannot currently support direct downloading of SD cards and is intended more as a media hub. The hardware is there for evrything on my wish list (I think…),

I don’t know which if any of these things are possible, but this is my wishlist:

• The device would handle standalone SD card incremental backup (only download new files since last backup.) Second best would be to enable backups through an iOS app, but for working photographers it would be great to just insert the card, press a button and get back to work. I can’t find the manual to download, but it appears there is a hardware button on the device. Would it possible to assign the download function to this button?
  • Any file type could be downloaded, espeically RAW files of all flavors. RAW file are very large, so this might be too slow via wi-fi, hence the direct card download request.
  • Enableiwireless backup (also incremental) from wi-fi capable SD cards such as the Eye-Fi.
  • Secondary backup of photo files on drive to DropBox or elsewhere in cloud (is this already possible?)
  • Expand drive capacity to 128GB (I know it will be pricey, professionals will pay it.)

PLEASE come up with with a firmware update to make tat least some of hese things possible. If you so, I think you will find a large market among professional and enthusiast photographers. Especiall if the implimentation is simple.

Thoughts?

Since there is no display, this device is only accessible via an iPAD or Android device app. ON/OFF are the only mechanical controls. You need something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/681428-REG/Digital_Foci_P19_500_PST_251_Photo_Safe_II.html

I don’t trust incremental backups. All of my cameras have the option to create a directory each day. Copy yesterday’s and today’s photo directories each time you use the backup and you will have all your pictures backed up…

I too would like the WMD to be able to accept direct uploads to the WMD internal memory from an SD card. I am a casual user so large capacity and speed are secondary. I like that I can share my pictures on my tablet while I am still on vacation.