Great headphones or earphones $20-$50

Well, thanks to Christmas gift cards, I made a purchase relevant to this thread. hint…from JVC

Marvin, how do you like the HAS600? Keep in mind that JVC headphones need plenty of burn in to sound good. The HAS600 in particular needs it. I actually prefer the HAS160 to the HAS600, however the HAS600 is fun as an extra bass headphone. I love the neutrality and detail of the HAS160. Lately I have been reaching for the HAS160 most often when I want to listen to music, even though I have several headphones that are much more expensive.

@jk98 wrote:

Marvin, how do you like the HAS600? Keep in mind that JVC headphones need plenty of burn in to sound good. The HAS600 in particular needs it. I actually prefer the HAS160 to the HAS600, however the HAS600 is fun as an extra bass headphone. I love the neutrality and detail of the HAS160. Lately I have been reaching for the HAS160 most often when I want to listen to music, even though I have several headphones that are much more expensive.

So you actually have the HAS600 also? I didn’t realize that. I haven’t received mine yet…they should be here Thursday or Friday.

I’ll test them out, and if I think a little burning in would help, I’ll dig out the ZuneHD and let them run overnight with that on shuffle.

For burn in I usually play the headphone somewhat louder than the volume I usually listen at, but not loud enough so it distorts. I try to choose music that is bass heavy and also has plenty of treble, so the headphone gets a good workout. Don’t be alarmed if the sound isn’t great out of the box. After about 5 hours it will sound noticeable better, but decent burn in for the HAS600 may take at least 25+ hours.

I was the one who suggested that you get the HAS600. I hope you like it. It is a bit too warm for my taste, but the extra bass is fun. I guess getting the extra bass without the warmth might mean getting an expensive headphone. I wonder how the HAS600 compares to the Sony XB500. Imo the XB500 looks extreme. It is too large.

@jk98 wrote:

For burn in I usually play the headphone somewhat louder than the volume I usually listen at, but not loud enough so it distorts. I try to choose music that is bass heavy and also has plenty of treble, so the headphone gets a good workout. Don’t be alarmed if the sound isn’t great out of the box. After about 5 hours it will sound noticeable better, but decent burn in for the HAS600 may take at least 25+ hours.

I was the one who suggested that you get the HAS600. I hope you like it. It is a bit too warm for my taste, but the extra bass is fun. I guess getting the extra bass without the warmth might mean getting an expensive headphone. I wonder how the HAS600 compares to the Sony XB500. Imo the XB500 looks extreme. It is too large.

I’m not worried about their sound. I would expect them to have more bass than the Flats that I had before, given that they are bigger and circumaural. If they’re not just right, after a week or so of regular use, then I have access to excellent equalizers on  3 out of the 4 players I use regularly.

I tried the XB500 in a store once, hooked up to one of those displays…it was a godawful muddy boomy mess. Now I have no way of knowing what was powering it, or if they had any type of EQ or tone control dialed in…but based on that I would never buy one. And they do look ridiculous on one’s head…(see below)

Interesting photo. Is that Alex Borstein from Family Guy?

I thought it was Rosie O’Donnell.

:stuck_out_tongue:

@jk98 wrote:

Interesting photo. Is that Alex Borstein from Family Guy?

I just did a Google Image search for “Sony XB500” and looked for a pic of somebody wearing them…and that’s what I found…lol.

Marvin, that combination looks very nice. it would look even nicer though on a pretty woman.

How do you like the HAS600? It is an interesting headphone. I keep wondering how it compares to the HAS4x and Sony XB500.

@jk98 wrote:

Marvin, that combination looks very nice. it would look even nicer though on a pretty woman.

How do you like the HAS600? It is an interesting headphone. I keep wondering how it compares to the HAS4x and Sony XB500.

I couldn’t be more pleased. It’s got a nice amount of bass to it, yet everything else still sounds clear. It is fully circumaural for me, although I suspect someone with really big outer ears could have trouble squeezing them in. Also, they seem solidly put together…unlike my Pioneer headphones, that make all kinds of creaking noises if I even move. And blessedly, there’s that little bit of padding on the headband, which my Audio Technica ATH-FC700’s could really use…(I keep my hair buzzed fairly short)

Sounds good. The JVC HAS4x is said to sound great and probably has more bass than the HAS600, although many hate how it looks. Why did they make it look so bad? To appeal to teenagers?

I bought the JVC Air Cushion earphone. It is not bad for under $20. The fit is great. this is a good earphone to sleep in, as it doesn’t stick out from my ears(I assume that will probably be the case for many people). It seems like the bass and treble are boosted and the midrange recessed. Vocals seem a bit drowned out by the bass and treble. I boosted the midrange quite a bit and brought down the bass and treble slightly with the equilizer, and now it sounds more natural. I usually don’t use the equilizer, however this earphone seems to need it.

@jk98 wrote:

Sounds good. The JVC HAS4x is said to sound great and probably has more bass than the HAS600, although many hate how it looks. Why did they make it look so bad? To appeal to teenagers?

I just looked up that HAS4x, and to me it looks like it is aimed at the kids…the ones who just want  “moar bass”…the ones that have a couple of 15" subs in their tiny car.  I wouldn’t go near them.

I can see what you meant now about the HAS600 and the elevated bass. There have been a few songs where it did seem the mids-to-lower mids were a little recessed in comparison to the bass and the highs…not drastically so, but enough to notice. I’m not going to start tinkering with an EQ setting yet, though…I’ll give them a few more days of use before I do that.

I do think they have opened up a little bit…I don’t believe that burn-in/break in makes a big difference, like some of the head-fi.org crowd would have you believe, but I’ve caught some subtle differences with a few headphones.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

I just looked up that HAS4x, and to me it looks like it is aimed at the kids…the ones who just want  “moar bass”…the ones that have a couple of 15" subs in their tiny car.  I wouldn’t go near them.

I can see what you meant now about the HAS600 and the elevated bass. There have been a few songs where it did seem the mids-to-lower mids were a little recessed in comparison to the bass and the highs…not drastically so, but enough to notice. I’m not going to start tinkering with an EQ setting yet, though…I’ll give them a few more days of use before I do that.

I do think they have opened up a little bit…I don’t believe that burn-in/break in makes a big difference, like some of the head-fi.org crowd would have you believe, but I’ve caught some subtle differences with a few headphones.

I have to alter slightly my impressions of the JVC’s now. I was going to tinker with an EQ setting when I suddenly realized there was already one active, for a different set of headphones that lack bass! So actually, knowing that, I find that with my Zips and EQ disabled, the JVC’s sound very nice!

It would be nice if there would be an indicator on the what’s playing display that shows which equilizer setting is being used.

@jk98 wrote:

It would be nice if there would be an indicator on the what’s playing display that shows which equilizer setting is being used.

That would be tricky, given the size of the screen, I think.   I don’t think you’ll see it in the factory firmware ever, and even in Rockbox it would have to be an awfully small icon that would be difficult to see.

I got the Koss KTXPRO 1 headphones thrown in for free as part of a trade recently, and to me they sound better than the PortaPro or the KSC75. They are basically the KSC75 drivers in a headband, which is great…unfortunately, the headband is meant for smaller heads. I walked past a mirro with them on and realized they were stretching to accomodate my head…lol.

The biggest annoyance though is the huge volume controller in the headphone cord…even bigger than the one in the KSC75’s, if I remember right. So I’ll use them mostly around the house, where I can adjust the volume if someone tries talking to me.

My JVC HAS600 has become much less bassy and almost neutral sounding after extensive burn in. The same thing is happening with my JVC HAS650. I bought the HAS600 first. Between the two, the HAS650 has more detail and is much more compact, being just a bit larger than the $10 or so JVC HAS160 which I love. i like both the HAS600 and HAS650, however if you can get the HAS650 for not much more than the HAS600, then go for the 650. For not much more than the HAS650 is the JVC HAM750, which has more bass than either of those, and is even a bit more efficient than the HAS650.

The new version of the Koss KTXpro1 imo is not as good as the old version. The old version was all black, and if my memory is correct, had a larger head band than the new version. I hope Koss comes out with an improved version of the KTXpro1, or else starts selling the KSC75 drivers with the Sportapro headband(perhaps calling it Sportapro II?) I put this combination together myself(the KSC75 driver enclosures snap into place on the Sportapro headband).

A new addition to this thread…the Cortex CHP-2500. Here’s the discussions from my other main forum, where I learned about them…

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67021

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68125