Fuze does not detect sd card

Hi. Sorry if this has already been covered elswhere, but I couldn’t find the relevant post.

What it is, is that I have bought a new PNY 8gb micro sd card for my 4gb Sanza Fuze.

The Fuze does not detect the new card, but it works perfectly in my Nokia 5220 phone, and my laptop pc and Integral card reader both detect the card.

I have several sd cards (many of which are SanDisk brand!) and my Fuze has never had any trouble reading any of them (including the other PNY brand cards I own.)

When I got my new card, I formatted it straight away and then started putting mp3 music files on it. I have also freed up some memory on the Fuze itself and have installed the latest firmware. The card is currently only about half full.

Strange that it should work with every device I have except my Saza Fuze… What could the problem be?

Did you Format it to FAT32 in Windows?

Mmm…might have. Is that a problem? (I used the default setting.)

The default setting should be FAT32, which is the right setting. But I suggest you back up what’s on the card and format it again anyway. Don’t use Quickformat.

It may not help, but it’s worth a try. 

Thanks for that. I formatted the card again in FAT32 but it still does not work with the Fuze (but still works with everything else.)

Curiously also, I can write to the card via the Fuze’s card slot, but the Fuze can’t read what it’s just written. Strange.

rheis wrote:

Thanks for that. I formatted the card again in FAT32 but it still does not work with the Fuze (but still works with everything else.)

Curiously also, I can write to the card via the Fuze’s card slot, but the Fuze can’t read what it’s just written. Strange.

What exactly do you mean when you say the Fuze can’t read what it’s just written? Are you saying the Artist, Album, Track, etc. info is not displayed in the lists on the Fuze? Do you have an Unknown entry in any of these lists? If so, the files are there and it’s an ID3 tag issue.

The Fuze just doesn’t register the card at all. When I put the card in the slot (or disconnect the USB cable) the player goes into “refreshing your media” mode but either freezes until I take the card out or ignores the card completely and all it shows is what I have put on the Fuze’s own memory.