Fuze battery won't charge, device not showing up

I’ve had a Fuze for a couple of months now, and have had no problem recharging until today. When I try to recharge in the USB port, it says “Connected,” but the battery isn’t recharging nor is it showing up as a portable device, though putting a flash drive in the same port shows up OK. I checked in Device Manager and the Fuze is there but it has this message: “Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)” I did update the Driver, just for the heck of it, have rebooted the computer a couple of times, etc., etc., to no avail. I have Vista and did today reload Norton 2009, so perhaps that’s the culprit. Any advice would be most welcom.

It may be Norton. I dont have Norton 09 but with my norton i had to modify the protection on the USB supports I dont know how to do it in Norton 09. 

I am querying them, as it’s not jumping out at me how that would be done in Norton’s Computer Settings. So, we’ll see, and thanks for the possible direction to go in.

Not saying this is it, but I remember using Norton years & years ago, and it had compatibility issues and was a PITA way back then. I doubt if much has changed in that regard.

Definitely not the most user-friendly piece of software I’ve ever run across. Wouldn’t have even made the top 10. Maybe a contender for the bottom 10 though. :wink:

In my case it was the USB cable that was unable to maintain a stable connection. The connector on the Fuze end was the problem. You can try to carefully apply some extra force pushing that end into the fuze. If someone you know has a Sansa device with compatible cables try one of those. New cables are pretty inexpensive if thats the reason for your problems

@tapeworm wrote:

Not saying this is it, but I remember using Norton years & years ago, and it had compatibility issues and was a PITA way back then. I doubt if much has changed in that regard.

Definitely not the most user-friendly piece of software I’ve ever run across. Wouldn’t have even made the top 10. Maybe a contender for the bottom 10 though. :wink:

For me bottom 10 in user friendlyness. No. 1 in functionallity. It what I run now (Corporate edition) is the best antivirus and complete protection suite I have ever seen.

@conversionbox wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

For me bottom 10 in user friendlyness. No. 1 in functionallity. It what I run now (Corporate edition) is the best antivirus and complete protection suite I have ever seen.

They (Norton) re-vamped thier entire line for 09.  Functionality is still there, but easier for common user and not near the resource hog it had become the last few years.  I’m running 09 AV and Internet security and and haven’t had one conflct with any hardware or software.

I believe I can rule out Norton 2009 as the culprit for my Sansa Fuze connection recognition problem, as I both turned off the firewall and uninstalled it and then tried charging the player again through the USB port–same nonrecognition of the device by Windows. I also made sure the connector was secure on the Fuze end. The battery is run all the way down, so I can’t see in Settings if it’s an MTP vs. MSC issue, but does the battery being run down all the way also cause a problem itself? Or is it a faulty connector, faulty player (less than 2 months old), or some other mysterious Vista/HP complication–the computer is slightly more than 2 months old, and protocol here doesn’t permit me to tell you what I think of HP’s support, in general. I really appreciate the feedback from y’all.