Deleting 'songs' on Sansae270

Just purchased a new Sansa e270 player. After loading some Albums on it and checking if it worked correctly I discovered there are already songs on the player that I had not put there. Unit was sealed when received. Assume these are pre-installed by Manufacturer - not my taste - wanted to delete them but no ‘remove song’ or delete buttom available for these items. Any idea how I can get rid of these unwanted items? Chat room does not help - claims I have a ‘legacy player’ (whatever that means)

Hey, I’m a “legacy” device, judging by age, I guess.  The e270 had no “delete song” function in the user interface.  To remove a song, you have to delete the file from the computer side.

The e200 version-2 devices, and the Clip / Fuze, all have a delete function.

The original content, the sample tracks, were installed using MTP mode (where the device is controlled as a media player).  When you connect in MSC mode, the Sansa is seen as a flash drive.  All files that were transferred in the other mode are “invisible” in MSC mode.

The e270 doesn’t have an onboard “format” function either.  If you format the device from the PC, the original (loaded in MTP) songs are erased.  If you have Windows Media Player 10 or later installed, you can connect and address the memory in MTP mode to erase these songs directly.

To change modes, on the device, Settings > USB Mode > MSC / MTP.

Don’t worry about calling for advice regarding your “legacy” device, it’s a great machine, and there are plenty of “old dogs” here that will be more than happy to help you with any questions you may have.  Quite a few of us still have version 1 e200s, and they’re running fine.  Many Sansa fans have progressed to the newer machines, but there’s simply no substitute for the solid e200.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Don’t worry about calling for advice regarding your “legacy” device, it’s a great machine, and there are plenty of “old dogs” here that will be more than happy to help you with any questions you may have.  Quite a few of us still have version 1 e200s, and they’re running fine.  Many Sansa fans have progressed to the newer machines, but there’s simply no substitute for the solid e200.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

From 1 ‘legacy’ device to another . . .Amen, brother!

I plan on having one buried with me. It will probably still be going strong, even when I’m 6 ft. under.

Thanks Bob - I will find someone that has Window Media Player 10 installed and try to get rid of these songs that way,

Since I am not a computer guru all that stuff is new to me: Thanks:wink:

Gretchen

@4gretl wrote:

Thanks Bob - I will find someone that has Window Media Player 10 installed and try to get rid of these songs that way,

Since I am not a computer guru all that stuff is new to me: Thanks:wink:

Gretchen

Or simply set your player to MTP mode, connect to your computer, open up Windows Explorer and delete them that way. WMP isn’t necessary.

Ah, but there’s the rub, WiMP10 has the MTP pipeline.  Of course, Tape’s right, you can simply open Windows Explorer (My Computer) in MTP mode, saving the confusion of using Windows Media Player, since MTP runs in the background.

If you have an earlier WiMP, you can open that, then click Help > Check For Updates and upgrade.

Oh, and enjoy your solid e270, these guys are the Boeing B52 of Sansas.  Later, you can even upgrade to Rockbox like Tapeworm has.

Bob  :wink:

Hurray - it worked - Thanks Tapeworm and Bob. I am getting better at using this unit. Have a great holiday.

Gretchen:smileyvery-happy: