Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

@tapeworm wrote:

@apurvmj wrote:

pls provide option of ‘refresh database now’ or something like this

thanks.

There’s no need for this.The player will automatically refresh its database when it’s unplugged from the computer if anything has changed (added or deleted content).

Not mine! :stuck_out_tongue:

@ tapeworm

But I use Rockbox while transfering the media files and when switch to stock FW it doesn’t show-up there.

Thats why

As I said, it will refresh the database automatically in the OF (original firmware) so there’s no need for this option. It doesn’t work like Rockbox.

@apurvmj wrote:

@ tapeworm

But I use Rockbox while transfering the media files and when switch to stock FW it doesn’t show-up there.

Thats why

Those files might not be compatible with the stock FW.

Actualy they are.

They are simple mp3 songs.

When I connect CZ in OF and remove it, it performs regular update task & show-up all the newly added songs again.

But I need to do it just for sake to get these songs to work with OF.

‘Refresh now’ would have been very handy.

So essentially you’re suggesting or asking for Sandisk’s firmware to work like Rockbox’s in respect to the database refresh, right?

Not saying it won’t happen at some point, but don’t hold your breath.

The ClipZip will refresh its music database when a communictions session ends, under one of two conditions.

In MSC mode, the device will refresh upon disconnect.

In MTP mode, the device will refresh only if there has been a file transfer or file access during the last session.

I do like the Rockbox manual “refresh” command, it’s handy.  From the original firmware standpoint, normal operation usually handles the task well.  I do like the idea of making the database refresh switchable (quite handy for MSC users who routinely charge using the USB port), but having it switchable could cause confusion with users that leave it enabled.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@neutron_bob wrote:

The ClipZip will refresh its music database when a communictions session ends, under one of two conditions.

In MSC mode, the device will refresh upon disconnect.

In MTP mode, the device will refresh only if there has been a file transfer or file access during the last session.

I don’t use MTP mode, but I can assure you in MSC mode, the device does not refresh upon disconnect . . . unless there has been a file transfer or access during the last session.

Indeed, if you plug in using MSC mode, to charge the device, there will be no refresh.  The subtle difference happens based upon the PC’s access.  In MTP, I can navigate within folders and observe the file tree.  Upon disconnect, the device does not refresh.

With the device in MSC mode, after pulling the file tree, even if no files are accessed, the device will do a database refresh. 

Hey, the quick test came in handy.  I found a collection of backup photo files on the microSD card, an MSC transfer.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Please give us an quick update to ClipZip firmware 01.01.18A because it has serious compatability issues not just with cards NOT made by SanDisk but with SanDisk’s own Class 4 cards MADE by SanDisk.  Specifically, it disables using any external memory for Playlists created in both Windows Media Player and Rhapsody.  MTP, MSC, remove and reinsert card, nothing can be done about it.  01.01.18A won’t even allow us to backtrack and load older 01.01.12 firmware on the ClipZip.  Sansa claims their players are creatred for compatibility with Rhapsody.  Don’t believe it.  Once we’ve loaded 01.01.18A, we’ve effectively trashed use of external memory for Playlists created in WMP and Rhapsody and we might as well forget about that external card slot in our ClipZips.

Another request to show total time and total time remaining for a track. I listen to a lot of audio books with 60+ minute files, so this is pretty important. My old Clip+ did this before it died, and I’m tempted to return my Zip and get another MP3 player unless this feature is implemented.

For audiobooks and podcasts , the Clip Zip already does this!  All you have to do is change the genre to audiobook or podcast respectively, or manually place the files in the podcast or audiobook folders.

If the genre is set correctly on these files, upon transfer to the device, the player automatically "steals’ the files from the music folder and places them in the correct folders for you.  You will findthem by navigating to Books, then select Audiobooks or Podcasts on the player.

The time elapsed / time remaining diaplay will show instead of the song rating line.  You will also have an automatic bookmark saved for each file.  Give it a try!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Is there an update on the .m3u playlist situation for 01.01.18?  Or any non-WMP playlist for that matter? 

@silentpope wrote:

Is there an update on the .m3u playlist situation for 01.01.18?  Or any non-WMP playlist for that matter? 

Not yet.

Please fix the new firmware for the appearence of THAI language in  my opinion.

Clip Zip Bugs and Features Request.

Bugs:

Fix Playlist Bug.

Fix Playlist Limit of 1000 Entries.

Features:

Support JPG Progressiv. Most JPG Pictures are Progressiv and must be Converted for Clip Zip.

Support Custom EQ presents.

Support EQ present set to album and set to Track. Each Track and Album can diverent EQ Presents stored.

Improve Replay Gain. Force Track Gain when Album Gain not available Option.

Support for SDXC cards.

On play: Time and remaining Time Display.

Thanks for the heads up. I still would like to see this on all music, as it is going to be a bit of a pain to edit the metadata on all of my audio books. If the UI to show the time already exists for select files, why not use it for everything?

@crescentmage wrote:

If the UI to show the time already exists for select files, why not use it for everything?

Good question . . . one we’ve been asking for the last 8 months.

@tapeworm wrote:

@crescentmage wrote:

If the UI to show the time already exists for select files, why not use it for everything?

Nope…I gave up long ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@crescentmage wrote:

Nope…I gave up long ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

A question, until answered is still a question.

There, that’s my Zen moment for the day. :stuck_out_tongue: