Clip+ "No Song" ... Aaaaarrrggghhhh!!!

Ok. I’m rapidly losing what’s left of my tiny little freakin mind!!

I’ve just bought a 2gb Clip+ (a replacement after returning one bought last week for the same issue, thinking it was defective) and have spent, literally, ten cumulative hours over the past weekend just to get it to play transferred music off my 32gb Samsung SDHC but just keep on getting this ‘No Song’ message!! Even though the music’s all there on disc and shows up when connected to PC :frowning:

I’m fairly computer/mp3 savvy and have been through so many forums (including here) to resolve this unbelievably infuriating bug. I’ve tried:

• Re-setting the device
  • Re-formatting (on device, via WMP, using ‘SD Formatter’)
  • Checking the ID3 tags are present and in the correct format (deleting and re-saving using ‘Mp3Tag’)

… and countless other convoluted solutions kindly offered up on various sites.

At one point last night I scremed out in joy (no, really I did) as I could see and play a transferred folder, only for the ‘No Song’ to re-appear after connecting to PC again to transfer more tracks!! WTF?! Where’d the music go?!

IT. JUST. DOESN’T. WORK!!!

I SO want this thing to work as it should. The bang for buck SQ is awesome, the size is just right but the friggin thing just ain’t as easy to use as it’s been made out to be (drag and drop my arse).

… and why, after five or so years of countless customers having the same issue is there not a definitive solution provided by Sandisk???

Folks, please, someone, save me from going insane …

First, it’s only necessary to format once, using built in is as good as any, or use windows explorer. Second, set the device to MSC mode unless you are dealing with protected music. Transfer the mp3 files to music folder on the clip or to the root of the micro card if you are using one. Post back what happens.

@red_rooster wrote:

… and why, _ after five or so years of countless customers having the same issue _ is there not a definitive solution provided by Sandisk???

1. The Clip+ has only been out for 3 years.

1. The original Clip has only been out for approx. 4 1/2 years.
  1. I’m not aware of “countless” customers having this issue. Where are you seeing this? The few that come here usually have not read the user’s manual and have no idea what they are doing, or how the player (or mp3 players in general) works.

Are you sure the songs you are attempting to put on the player are a “supported” format (.mp3, .wma, .flac, .ogg)?

Thanks for the response Dave and Tapeworm.

The USB mode is always ‘MSC’.

The files are in the root directory on the SD card.

None of the files are DRM protected.

All files are either mp3’s or FLAC.

I’ve tried holding down the power button to reset the Clip but nothing happens, even after holding it depressed for a couple of minutes, no restart screen or anything. I even ripped a CD using WMP and transferred it straight across onto the Clip and that also fails to register.

Tapeworm, as for my comment regarding others with the same experience, I meant to say with other Sandisk players too, not exclusively the Clip+ … stick “Sansa” and “No Song” into Google and see what you get.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice but unfortunately it’s still buggerred … :( 

Some 32GB cards, especially some class 10 ones have compatability issues with Sandisk players. Perhaps you should try using a Sandisk class 4 card in your player.

“The files are in the root directory on the SD card.”

You tried  putting a huge number of files directly in the root? I think the player has a limit to the items it can recognize in the root(perhaps 255?). Try arranging the files in a reasonable structure, perhaps a folder for each artist, then a subfolder for each album.

Hi JK, I’ve tried dropping the tracks into the root dir on the SD card and also into a ‘Music’ folder.

I’m also not transferring a huge number of files, just an album or two. Last night I transferred a single track into ‘Music’ folder on the SD card and at one point got it to work … Eureka! I thought … prematurely, coz when I re-connected to the PC and transferred just one more track (equivalent ID3 tags) and dis-connected, I lost BOTH tracks to this bloody ‘No Song’ state, even the first one that momentarily worked!

So … it won’t transfer anything and when it does it loses it upon the next transfer! :frowning:

As for the 32gb SD card, it’s a brand new Samsung class 10 card, I’m not aware of anyone having problems with it.

Why has every other MP3 players I’ve ever owned (or read about) NEVER had such diabolocal transfer issues - I don’t think I have a faulty unit as many others have had the same experience. It’s bricked straight out of the box!

Yes, there have been several reports of issues with Class 10 cards. These cards are not designed to be used with mp3 players, but cameras and video (including HD) applications. Another thought . . . are you using MTP or MSC mode to ransfer the files? MTP mode is sometimes wonky; it’s best to use MSC.

Yes, there have been several reports of issues with Class 10 cards. These cards are not designed to be used with mp3 players, but cameras and video (including HD) applications.

Is your firmware up to date? 01.02.18? I think there may be something in the 01.02.16 firmware to deal with higher density memory cards. The Clip+ was designed before there were class 10 cards. Sandisk tests their players with Sandisk cards. Some other brands usually work as well if they are class 4 or slower. There were several posts of compatibility issues using Samsung 32GB class 10 cards in the Clip+.