Clip hardware

Hello,

I read there is revision 1 and 2 hardware. Are there any main differences between design, battery life or any major features?

When was revision 2 released? Is it still possible that somewhere they sell me revision 1 (and I can’t check the firmware)?

On the page http://www.sansa.com/players/sansa_clip the photo shows the black clip with even red and orange display backgroud colors. Are these also available besides the usual blue backgroud color?

Thanks! 

@market wrote:

Hello,

I read there is revision 1 and 2 hardware. Are there any main differences between design, battery life or any major features?

When was revision 2 released? Is it still possible that somewhere they sell me revision 1 (and I can’t check the firmware)?

On the page http://www.sansa.com/players/sansa_clip the photo shows the black clip with even red and orange display backgroud colors. Are these also available besides the usual blue backgroud color?

Thanks! 

1. The v1 and v2 have somewhat different internal hardware, but they’re externally and functionally identical. I can’t tell any difference in battery life between my v1 and v2, both with the latest firmware (sometimes firmware can affect battery life, so older v. newer firmware may make a difference in other people’s cases.)

2. I don’t know when v2’s went on sale. And unfortunately, if it’s in a sealed package there’s no way to tell which revision you’re getting.

3. Both of my Clips (1 GB and 8 GB) have a blue display, except for the battery indicator which is yellow. They’re both black though, so other color models may have different color displays. I have a dark pink one on the way, I’ll let you know what color the display is when it arrives.

As far as I am aware, only the blue display (with yellow “accent” ) is available. 

Message Edited by Miikerman on 06-24-2009 01:45 PM

@miikerman wrote:
As far as I am aware, only the blue display (with yellow “accent” ) is available. 
Message Edited by Miikerman on 06-24-2009 01:45 PM

x2

My colorful Clip arrived today. Display is the same blue and yellow. I think maybe the matching palettes for differently-colored Clips was a preproduction idea that was scrapped.

Thank you guys for the info!

New question: what is the main difference between US, European and perhaps Asian(?) firmwares? The hardware is identycal and I can put on any firmware I wish?

Can you recommend me a good US store which ships worldwide, but not in pachage, but as regular mail (under 2 kg you can ship anything as mail). Most shops’ shipping prices are almost more expensive than the player itself.

The firmware differences of which I’m aware:  radio frequencies; and the EU firmware limits the volume.  And yes, you can choose your firmware. 

For shipping the means you want, might be best to buy from an individual on eBay.  At least, that’s an avenue.