Clip+ dirs: ##music# and ##port# - can I safely delete them to save space?

Hi!

I’m Rockbox user mostly on C+ and I’ve noticed that on my Clip+ there are 2 dirs called:

##music# - takes only 5x KB
##port# - this one occupies 209 MB (!)
(there are 2 big files inside, Object.dat is 177 MB and sample.hds is 32 MB)

and 4 files in root dir (all dated 1980-01-01):

DID.bin - 114 Bytes
Upgrade.fin - 8 Bytes
Mtable.sys - almost 2 MB
Sys_conf.sys - 320 Bytes

My Question is: can I *safely* delete at least some of them, provided I’m using Rockbox mostly/only? I assume they come from Official Firmware, and Rockbox does not need them at all. I’d like to delete especially these 2 dirs, like ##port# which takes over 200 MB.

So, what can I delete, and what not?

Thanks!

The ##music# & ##port# folders are created by Rockbox. I wouldn’t delete them.

The Mtable.sys & (I believe) Sys_conf.sys files are OF created. You could probably delete them, but if you ever boot into the OF they will be re-created anyway.

Personaly, I would leave them all alone. They are there for reasons. If you really need more memory space buy a Micro SD card (or a bigger one).

in turn, on Rockbox forum, I got the reply that ##music# & ##port# folders are not needed by RB and can be safely deleted. So who’s right?

Tapeworm’s point about adding a microsd card is valid. I just delete that stuff for aesthetic value, reducing clutter, especially since I will never use the original firmware again.

Marvin_Martian:

why did you leave just this one particular file, DID.bin? Is it important for Rockbox? Or for some other reason?

@juhaz wrote:

in turn, on Rockbox forum, I got the reply that ##music# & ##port# folders are not needed by RB and can be safely deleted. So who’s right?

If the Rockbox folks say it’s OK to delete them, I would go with what they said. They’re the ones to developed it and are in a position to know.

You’re still only saving 209mb though; maybe enough for 1 or 2 more albums (in .mp3 format) but if your player is that full you need to think abut getting a bigger memory card as I suggested earlier. They really aren’t that expensive these days.

@juhaz wrote:

Marvin_Martian:

why did you leave just this one particular file, DID.bin? Is it important for Rockbox? Or for some other reason?

I don’t even now what it is. It’s been over a year since I Rockboxed these two players and to be honest,  I don’t remember what I deleted at the time.