APE Support

IF Sandisk is going to implement APE support?

lyolic wrote:

I doubt it. FLAC is plenty good enough, and more commonly used.

lyolic wrote:

Clint was a big APE supporter for a while . . .

“Right turn, Clyde!”

But I’m not sure SanDisk is so inclined.

:smileyvery-happy:

The clip+ CPU isn’t fast enough for a lot of APE files, but you can probably play the lower compression levels on it if you run Rockbox.

@saratoga wrote:
The clip+ CPU isn’t fast enough for a lot of APE files, but you can probably play the lower compression levels on it if you run Rockbox.

If smb already tested it on Rockbox? Does it really has problems with some compression levels

c3000 works.  c4000 might work, at least for some files.

APE’s a pretty terrible format though.  Probably best to use something better. 

I’ve found tests only for Clip…

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SoundCodecMonkeysAudio#FootNotes

If Clip+ is quicker?

Yes its a somewhat quicker, hence c4000 might work.

Why APE??? With some players like the Clip+ and a memory card in it being able to hold up to 60X as  much music as they have battery power to play, how about developing formats that are easier to decode than mp3, and give longer battery life than with mp3?

@jk98 wrote:
Why APE???

Because I don’t like converting. There is a huge number of APE files om web.

lyolic wrote:

@jk98 wrote:
Why APE???

I highly doubt that SanDisk will support APE…converting is not a big deal , unless you have a slow computer with limited storage space.:wink:

@lyolic wrote:

@jk98 wrote:
Why APE???

I must say all the legal non-DRM download places I’ve seen tend to be either MP3 or OGG, I don’t think I’ve seen APE as an option on any of them?

Marvin_Martian wrote:

I highly doubt that SanDisk will support APE…converting is not a big deal , unless you have a slow computer with limited storage space.:wink:

not big… but it is a deal :stuck_out_tongue: I’m too lasy :slight_smile:

And Rockbox supports  APE :stuck_out_tongue:

lyolic wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

not big… but it is a deal :stuck_out_tongue: I’m too lasy :slight_smile:

And Rockbox supports  APE :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re too lazy to convert your files, but willing to put Rockbox on a player when it isn’t ready? Have fun  with that then.:stuck_out_tongue:

You’re too lazy to convert your files, but willing to put Rockbox on a player when it isn’t ready? Have fun  with that then.:stuck_out_tongue:

No problems at all. You can use “Rockbox utility” to install it :slight_smile:

lyolic wrote:

No problems at all. You can use “Rockbox utility” to install it :slight_smile:

Perhaps you should read this…

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showpost.php?p=462218&postcount=180

Given the battery hit, I’m not sure using APE in rockbox is the best idea anyway.  APE was meant for desktop CPUs, and even with our highly optimized decoder it still requires a considerable amount of energy to play.