Anyone using a Headphone amp with their Clip?

I’m really enjoying my Clip so far.  Just got a pair of Phonak PFE’s and the sound is amazing.  While I am happy with the bass response and the quality of the bass I’m getting, I would prefer a tad more volume and bass presence.  I find with the Phonaks, I have to have the volume about 70% (maybe from 31 years of playing in a band, who knows?).  It’s fine with a $40 pair of Phillips IEM I have, which sound very good, too, just not stunningly good as the Phonaks.  After reading several reviews, I went ahead and bought an Fiio E5 headphone amp online.

@rlight wrote:
I’m really enjoying my Clip so far.  Just got a pair of Phonak PFE’s and the sound is amazing.  While I am happy with the bass response and the quality of the bass I’m getting, I would prefer a tad more volume and bass presence.  I find with the Phonaks, I have to have the volume about 70% (maybe from 31 years of playing in a band, who knows?).  It’s fine with a $40 pair of Phillips IEM I have, which sound very good, too, just not stunningly good as the Phonaks.  After reading several reviews, I went ahead and bought an Fiio E5 headphone amp online.

I have both an E3 and an E5, which I use with 2 out of my 3 top headphones, and for the money, they are nice little devices indeed. The nice thing you’ll find with the E5 is that the bass boost is switchable…nice to have the option for different types of music, etc. Another nice thing…if you have a wall charger for your Clip, it will work on the E5 too. 

X2 on the Fiio E5 with the Sansa Clip. Bass boost on with Etymotic ER6i and bass boost off with Sennheiser PX 100. Sounds great IMO - makes a tiny but fine-sounding work, bike, and hike rig :slight_smile:

Edit: spelling

Message Edited by oxide on 03-19-2009 01:02 PM

A very nice “extra” with the E5:  it can serve as a volume remote control for the Clip, when the Clip is in your pocket and the E5 clipped to your shirt or pants.  Very handy!

@miikerman wrote:
A very nice “extra” with the E5:  it can serve as a volume remote control for the Clip, when the Clip is in your pocket and the E5 clipped to your shirt or pants.  Very handy!

I’m keeping that in mind as an option if my Clip’s clip breaks…right now I carry the E3 in the shirt pocket with the Clip clipped to the top of the shirt pocket , and use the E5 at home, rocking out with the Fuze.

Another vote for the Clip + E5 FiiO combo here.  I got my E5 on Monday, and this thing is great.  The bass boost is way better than using the Clip’s EQ settings.

So far the only negative about it is that once the battery starts to go, you can’t replace the battery.  And I thought I read somewhere that the battery only lasts for 200 charges?

I probably would (sooner or later) if I coulf find one locally for a reasonable price. Let’s just say I’m not a fan of mail order. I’ll never understand why it’s so hard to find better headphones and related gear in brick and mortar stores. Especially now when pretty much every kid has an iPod that’s practically begging for better headphones (and the requisite amplification). I know you can order stuff online. You could order your groceries online for that matter but there’s a point where it’s just ridiculous. Some people don’t like shopping online.

Dealextreme.com for the FiiO E5–has a proven track record for deliveries and low prices.

@warrior1986 wrote:

Another vote for the Clip + E5 FiiO combo here.  I got my E5 on Monday, and this thing is great.  The bass boost is way better than using the Clip’s EQ settings.

So far the only negative about it is that once the battery starts to go, you can’t replace the battery.  And I thought I read somewhere that the battery only lasts for 200 charges?

You could get an E3 too…it runs off AAA’s. I have rechargeable AAA’s, so I can use it as often  as I wish. And even down the road if the E5’s battery life started to dwindle, it would still be perfectly usable plugged in as a “desktop” amp for while you surf the Net. 

@marvin_martian wrote:

@warrior1986 wrote:

You could get an E3 too…it runs off AAA’s. I have rechargeable AAA’s, so I can use it as often  as I wish. And even down the road if the E5’s battery life started to dwindle, it would still be perfectly usable plugged in as a “desktop” amp for while you surf the Net. 

Well, Marvin, I hope you are satisfied!!!:smileyvery-happy:  After using another brand of headphone amp, and hearing you sing the praises of the FiiO’s, I bit the bullet this morning and ordered an e5. 

Just an excuse… I wanted to get another HA anyway.  

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@warrior1986 wrote:

Well, Marvin, I hope you are satisfied!!!:smileyvery-happy:  After using another brand of headphone amp, and hearing you sing the praises of the FiiO’s, I bit the bullet this morning and ordered an e5. 

Which one do you already have?

Edit…I think I remember…a Boostaroo?

I wondered about them since the one I saw online was a splitter/amplifier, and I didn’t see myself needing the splitter aspect. How well does it work?

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 03-21-2009 08:01 AM

@marvin_martian wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@warrior1986 wrote:

I use the original “boostaroo” the most.  I does the job, but I like the fact you don’t have to change batteries and the form factor of the e5…

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@warrior1986 wrote:

I use the original “boostaroo” the most.  I does the job, but I like the fact you don’t have to change batteries and the form factor of the e5…

Does it have a volume control?The E3 does not, so when using that, I rely on the Clip/Fuze volume. The E5 does. I set my player’s volume at 80-85%, then rely on the E5’s volume. I think you’ll enjoy the switchable bass boost too. 

Yep… I know I’ll like it.  The boostaroo (original) has a slider on-off switch and that’s it as far as controls.  The volume and bass boost are nice features to have.

E5 = best ~$20 addition you can make to your portable listening gear.

…Adding, I sure wish someone would combine a small form factor amp with a small form factor player into one unit … with 16gb or even 32gb of storage. Clearly, the E5’s minimal size shows that a decent amp could be added and housed within a very reasonably-sized, portable player.

Sansa Clip/Fuze + E5-type amp in one unit = SanDisk’s bestselling player ever…

…Unless Fiio beats SanDisk to it.

Message Edited by Robisan on 03-23-2009 12:50 AM

My E5 arrived yesterday in gread condition from head-fi.  The difference is definitely NOT dramatic, but subtle.  The bass boost is nice.  It does not alter significantly the fact that with my Phonaks, I have to have the volume on the Clip up around 70%, though there is a subtle difference in being able to lower the volume on the Clip slightly.  The E5 adds a richness to the sound, that is not present with the Clip by itself.  Don’t get me wrong.  The Clip sounds wonderful by itself.  The E5 adds a bit more fullness to the sound.  I’m using the custom EQ setting with a flatter “V” curve.  At this point after less than an hour of listening, I’d give it a thumbs up.

Pros:  - small size - can clip together the Clip and the E5

- nice accesories - both long and short 1/8 to 1/8 cables included

- easy to use - “on”, “volume” and “bass boost to flat” buttons

- cool looking

- it actually works - gives a fullness the the Clip’s sound

- bass boost is a nice addition, especially for phones like my Phonaks

- rechargeable lithium battery - charges via USB port - cable included

Cons:  - “trigger” on/off switch - even though it says to hold the “on” button to turn off, it’s a very short lag time and very easy to turn off, or to get bumped in a carry case and turn on

- if it really is a con, the difference in SQ is not dramatic - probably says a lot about the excellent SQ of the Clip

- hard to tell where you are on the E5 volume-wise

I received my FiiO E5 yesterday and I think it will be a welcome, but not necessarily an exclusive addition to my clips and fuzes.  The cuteness factor of the thing is 10 out a possible 10; and after a short audition process, it seems to do everything it claims well.

I don’t think it will replace my Boostaroo, but will be a nice addition to my headphone amp collection.

Only time will tell with the FiiO…and how often it will require a charge, but the great thing about the Boostaroo is how long the 2 standard AA batteries last for me.  I average listening to my devices approximately 4 hours daily (mainly at night since I’m an extremely light sleeper) and the Boostaroo is always “on” when the DMP is being played.  I rarely have to change the batteries.  Eventually, usually in about 6 months of daily usage, the batteries have to be replaced.

I think I’m going to like the FiiO E5 just fine; it just will serve a different application than the boostaroo.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I received my FiiO E5 yesterday and I think it will be a welcome, but not necessarily an exclusive addition to my clips and fuzes.  The cuteness factor of the thing is 10 out a possible 10; and after a short audition process, it seems to do everything it claims well.

I don’t think it will replace my Boostaroo, but will be a nice addition to my headphone amp collection.

Only time will tell with the FiiO…and how often it will require a charge, but the great thing about the Boostaroo is how long the 2 standard AA batteries last for me.  I average listening to my devices approximately 4 hours daily (mainly at night since I’m an extremely light sleeper) and the Boostaroo is always “on” when the DMP is being played.  I rarely have to change the batteries.  Eventually, usually in about 6 months of daily usage, the batteries have to be replaced.

I think I’m going to like the FiiO E5 just fine; it just will serve a different application than the boostaroo.

You can’t have too many toys :smiley:

I’ve never tried timing mine between charges, I just once in a while hook the Clip’s wall-wart to it. I think the official rating is 20 hours, but I don’t know if that is flat mode, or bass mode, or what volume level they measured at. 

@marvin_martian wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

You can’t have too many toys :smiley:

I’ve never tried timing mine between charges, I just once in a while hook the Clip’s wall-wart to it. I think the official rating is 20 hours, but I don’t know if that is flat mode, or bass mode, or what volume level they measured at. 

That’s still pretty long per charge…if it comes close to that I’ll be happy.

I tested the FiiO a bit more this afternoon, and I do believe that it does improve the soundstage a bit from the stock clip or fuze, which the boostaroo does NOT do…

And I do like the bass and volume controls better…

The more I play with it, the better I like it. :smiley:

I usually fly solo with my Clip, but I’ve fed it into my iBasso D2 Boa (which I usually use with my 8GB Zen) a few times, but really can’t remember much… I just bought the 8gb Clip for use by itself with either CX300’s or Phonak PFE’s and gotta say I’m happy with it as is  :smiley: