Accessories

Going back to the original thread content:

FM transmitter:

I a cheap one from Radio Shack.  Belkin I think.  Around $14 so I can’t be too upset.

It is “OK”.

Pros:  Cheap.  Works.  I get mp3 to play in the car.

Cons:

FM signals always fading in and out.  Changing the preset transmitting frequency every 10-20 miles sometimes.  I never use it around town, only on long road trips where you are going to be sitting for hours and don’t want to lug a 5 pound case with 15 CDs.

Sound quality is actually not horrible once you get a clear station.

On this cheap ■■■■■■, there is a High and Low frequency range.  Then there is a frequency selector that give you 3 stations to broadcast on.  (yes, you are actually broadcasting a miniscule FM signal, whose range extends, at best, the width of your car)

You set Low or High and then select the particular frequency that you’ll be broadcasting on.  When the conditions change, you’ll need to adjust this.  You ALSO need to adjust your car stereo radio of course.  They both need to be on the same frequency.  In the changeover, there are loud buzzes and what-not.  Sometimes you lose track of the coordination of the radio frequency and the fm transmitter frequency.   This really isn’t the primary task; you’re supposed to be responsibly piloting a 2-ton hunk of metal, plastic and glass neck-to-neck with other drivers at 65 mph.  Not elegant.

Plus, with this little device, there’s a central unit, a little smaller than a hocky puck, a curly-cord that runs to the cigarette lighter/12v DC power and the little cord that plugs into the mp3 player.  Even though the thing MUST be plugged into the vehicle 12v power, it still needs batteries (2 AAA) in the device and the device still needs to be turned on.  Now you have this hockey puck, and a button to push to activate it, these microscopic switches to change frequency (difficult when driving- and forget about actually being able to see this at night).  There’s a cord to the lighter, a cord to the mp3…and it does not charge the mp3 player of course.  Only the audio plugis plugged into the mp3 player.

And yes, you do have to crank the mp3 volume all the way.  Most importantly, the cheap fm transmitter has a narrow frequency range and the bass is severely attenuated.  Use your Custom EQ settings to bump the bass up or kick the bass on the car stereo way up.

It is far less than ideal.  Ok.  So, given all that, if you have a ten hour road trip, the $14 and hassle may be worth it.  Otherwise, for me, not.

Many new cars are now equipped with stereos that have 3.5mm audio line input jacks.  Finally!  (maybe GM/Delco has 78 rpm gramophone inputs. I don’t know…but Sub, Toy and Hon are doing this now)

If I HAD to solve this issue, I’d get a new car stereo unit and go that way.  A single CD stereo or one with radio only had to be pretty cheap (plus installation of course)

The MAXIMO transmitter got some fairly good reviews on amazon.

I remember seeing one brand for the Sansa e200 series that mounted the player on a cute stand of some sort (one goes in the cup holder!) , powered it and hooked up the audio…seemed pretty slick.  But cost a lot more than $14.

Message Edited by blackdog-sansa on 11-26-2008 12:48 PM

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

I remember seeing one brand for the Sansa e200 series that mounted the player on a cute stand of some sort (one goes in the cup holder!) , powered it and hooked up the audio…seemed pretty slick.  But cost a lot more than $14.

Macally, for about $60:

http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=49

It looks like it docks with the 30-pin-equipped players, and uses the 3.5mm (when did it stop being 1/8"?) jack on anything else.

3.5mm is 1/8", but we’re slowly adopting the metric system for alot of things, so that’s all that is.

@cruiserdude wrote:
3.5mm is 1/8", but we’re slowly adopting the metric system for alot of things, so that’s all that is.

Sorry, should have put a sarcasm tag or smiley in there.

After 35 years dealing with this stuff, it’s hard to change habits.:smiley:

@hulksmashnow wrote:

Meritline.com has 8GB Kingston MicroSDHC cards for $18.99 shipped.  My brother got me one for an early Christmas present.  It’s cool to now have a 12GB Fuze!

All the best.

HulkSmashNow…You are the man… Thanks for the info. I just ordered 2 of these…Even got free shipping. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

Check out this site… www.newegg.com

They have the 8gb Kingston for only 17.99 and they also have the 4gb Fuze for only $48.00.

Prices good today for Black Friday…

Oh BTW… Kingston not good for video…:smileyvery-happy:

McSansa

@mcsansa wrote:

@hulksmashnow wrote:

Meritline.com has 8GB Kingston MicroSDHC cards for $18.99 shipped.  My brother got me one for an early Christmas present.  It’s cool to now have a 12GB Fuze!

All the best.

HulkSmashNow…You are the man… Thanks for the info. I just ordered 2 of these…Even got free shipping. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

Appreciate the kind words.  Enjoy those microSD cards.  And Happy Holidays to you and yours, too!

1. Silicon Case - I bought a plastic case from an Amazon seller. I’ve dropped my Fuze twice already with no problems. About $9 (including shipping).

2. Memory Cards - Sandisk 4GB: Walmart ( about $15 if shipped, $10 in-store ) or Amazon Sellers About $10 (including shipping)

3. Screen Protector/Belt clip - belt clip is included with the case I bought above (screen is covered by case) 

4. I just bought a Colby FM Transmitter from Amazon, because it’s got good reviews and it’s not expensive. I haven’t used it yet, it’s still being shipped. About $17 (before shipping).