8GB Clip+ freezing on flower logo and not recognized by PC.

Yesterday moring I was trying to load music onto my 8GB clip+ and halfway through transferring, I got an error message saying the drive cannot be located.  I looked at the device list and saw that the SD card was listed but the clip+ had ejected itself. I then unplugged the clip+ and it froze on the “Connected” screen so I held down the power button for 15-20 seconds and reset it. Now, it turns on, gets to the flower logo, turns off, then turns back on and freezes at the flower logo. I let the battery drain and plugged it back into the PC but it just hangs up on the flower logo and is never recognized on my PC.

Are there any solutions to this problem? I don’t think there is a bad song file because they play fine on my computer, my old mac, and it played fine on my ipod. All of my music tags are correct, too.

This is the second Clip+ I’ve had do this to me and it’s getting really frustrating… These things aren’t reliable at all. :cry:

@jjj0n4th4n wrote:

I don’t think there is a bad song file because they play fine on my computer, my old mac, and it played fine on my ipod. All of my music tags are correct, too.

This is the second Clip+ I’ve had do this to me and it’s getting really frustrating… These things aren’t reliable at all. :cry:

Really? You’ve got the same problem with the same files on 2 brand-new players and you don’t think it’s a problem with the files? There certainly is something that’s not reliable, but it’s not the players . . . it’s your logic.

Just because they play OK on your computer, your mac and your pod doesn’t mean they’re not creating the issue you’re having with your Clip+. It’s a totally different animal than the other three.

@tapeworm wrote:

Really? You’ve got the same problem with the same files on 2 brand-new players and you don’t think it’s a problem with the files? There certainly is something that’s not reliable, but it’s not the players . . . it’s your logic.

Just because they play OK on your computer, your mac and your pod doesn’t mean they’re not creating the issue you’re having with your Clip+. It’s a totally different animal than the other three.

Insults already? Well, that sure is uncalled for.

Anyway, no, it wasn’t the same files. The songs I was loading on to the clip+ when it broke were actually playing fine on the first clip+, but thanks for the suggestion.

Does anyone else have any possible fixes, besides “Tapeworm”? He seems a tad grumpy. :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks in advance!

@jjj0n4th4n wrote:

Yesterday moring I was trying to load music onto my 8GB clip+ and halfway through transferring, I got an error message saying the drive cannot be located.  I looked at the device list and saw that the SD card was listed but the clip+ had ejected itself. I then unplugged the clip+ and it froze on the “Connected” screen so I held down the power button for 15-20 seconds and reset it. Now, it turns on, gets to the flower logo, turns off, then turns back on and freezes at the flower logo. I let the battery drain and plugged it back into the PC but it just hangs up on the flower logo and is never recognized on my PC.

Are there any solutions to this problem? I don’t think there is a bad song file because they play fine on my computer, my old mac, and it played fine on my ipod. All of my music tags are correct, too.

Are you getting the same problem when you load the same songs to the internal memory? Have you tried formatting the card? How are you transferring the songs to the SD card?

I was actually adding the songs to the clip+ internal memory when it stopped working. I did format the clip+ and SD card when I first got them and I have been just dragging and dropping the music folders to the SD card in MSC mode. I am unable to get the clip+ past the flower logo to attempt another format.

@jjj0n4th4n wrote:

I’m sorry you read it that way. That was not my intention. Had you said in the 1st place that it was different files, I would not have drawn that conclusion. You simply said, "This is the second Clip+ I’ve had do this to me . . . ".

@jjj0n4th4n wrote:

Sorry you read it that way. That wasn’t my intention. You simply said, “This is the second Clip+ I’ve had do this to me . . .”  

My magic mirror seems to be out of order at the moment.

@jjj0n4th4n wrote:

I was actually adding the songs to the clip+ internal memory when it stopped working. I did format the clip+ and SD card when I first got them and I have been just dragging and dropping the music folders to the SD card in MSC mode. I am unable to get the clip+ past the flower logo to attempt another format.

Try running an error-check on the clip+.  I suggest removing the card first.  If that completes, then reinstall the firmware manually and see if that fixes things.

Another suggstion is to use a different usb port, in case that may be the cause of the trouble.