"2GB Clip+ with 16GB microSD" vs. "8GB Clip+ with 8GB microSD"

I can’t find a clip+ user manual on the sansa site, but that is the case for older models with a memory slot.

I have a Clip+ and a Fuze. The Clip+ is just like the Fuze in that voice recording and FM recording is only done on the internal memory.

From Sandisk’s point of view of course you should “go with the largest available internal memory” :slight_smile: Since this player has a card reader, the version with smallest amount of memory is clearly the best option. Beside flexibility and savings (flash memory prices go continually down), I like not having to “wear and tear” internal flash memory which is not replaceable (OK, I know that I exaggerate little bit :), even if it’s MLC flash).

Message Edited by m9zf3n5w on 10-10-2009 06:59 AM

Message Edited by m9zf3n5w on 10-10-2009 07:00 AM

fwiw, I spoke to a SanDisk support rep yesterday and I happened to ask her what class the internal memory of the Clip+ is – she said 2 (that said, she didn’t seem all that knowledgeable).

She also seemed to say that the Clip+ only supported up to class 4 (perhaps meaning that faster class 6 cards would still behave like class 4).

Again, she didn’t seem all that knowledgeable, so I’m not certain this info is correct – but it is at least what she said.

I got my 2GB Clip+ today and tested it with a Sandisk 16GB microSDHC class 2. As expected the writing speed on external microSD is ecactly the same than on internal memory. The only problem i’ve with the microSD is that i can’t record voice/FM on it. But the 2GB internal memory still are enough for about 8 hours to record. So everything is fine and i’m happy with this solution!

And i’ve just realized a new feature of Clip+! When you press the home button while listening to music and then go to browse the database, it starts with the entry that you’ve selected the last time. That makes it a lot easier for me! In the old Clip you always had to browse from the beginning, which is annoying when you’ve a lot of music… Cool!

@m9zf3n5w wrote:

From Sandisk’s point of view of course you should “go with the largest available internal memory” :slight_smile: Since this player has a card reader, the version with smallest amount of memory is clearly the best option. Beside flexibility and savings (flash memory prices go continually down), I like not having to “wear and tear” internal flash memory which is not replaceable (OK, I know that I exaggerate little bit :), even if it’s MLC flash).

Message Edited by m9zf3n5w on 10-10-2009 06:59 AM

Message Edited by m9zf3n5w on 10-10-2009 07:00 AM

I really think you’ll be tossing the player out long before any ‘wear and tear’ on the internal memory becomes noticable.  Flash memory is supposed to be good for at least 100,000 writes last I heard, and it’s getting better all the time.  The battery will die long before the flash will.

Personally, I want the most memory I can afford.  The price diff between 2GB and 8GB isn’t that big in the Clip+, and I’d want to add the biggest memory card I can get so I can carry around the widest selection of music possible.

– Bob

100,000 write cycles for SLC NAND flash, for MLC it is only 10,000. MLC is also much more sensitive to higher temperatures (which causes more leakage in the cells). MLC is actually newer type of memory and you should not assume that newer technologies are automatically better for consumers. Semiconductor manufacturer’s primary objective is to reduce manufacturing costs. Considering the price, I guess MLC found its place in Sansa Clip+ as well :slight_smile:

I did some research on MLC and you’re right, I should not have made that assumption.  The company does what’s good for the company.  I still think your concerns of wearing out the flash are illusary–10,000 writes is still a lot, especially compared to the durability of the battery, buttons, earphone jack, etc–but to each their own.  MP3 players are cheaply made all around and of all the failures I hear about, using up the flash doesn’t seem to be high on that list.

@odd_bob wrote:

I still think your concerns of wearing out the flash are illusary–10,000 writes is still a lot, especially compared to the durability of the battery, buttons, earphone jack, etc–but to each their own.  MP3 players are cheaply made all around and of all the failures I hear about, using up the flash doesn’t seem to be high on that list.

You also have to ask, what makes for a rewrite?  Is it every time you load the whole player, or are there parts of the file system that get written every time you load a single song (likely), or every time you play a song (possibly)?  Everytime you adjust any parameter that is supposed to persist (like volume control)?

That said, good firmware for flash tries to spread the pain (frequency of rewrites) across memory instead of concentrating on the same blocks over and over.

You are right, as I said in the first place, that was exaggeration, I guess no one is going to copy files to a mp3 player all day long. However the price differences between different clip+ versions here in Europe are higher then in US and that’s what prompted my post.

If Amazon ships to Europe, here is a link to a FANTASTIC price on the 8 gig:

http://www.amazon.com/Clip-Plus-MP3-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254181466&sr=1-4

@literaturelover wrote:

If Amazon ships to Europe, here is a link to a FANTASTIC price on the 8 gig:

http://www.amazon.com/Clip-Plus-MP3-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254181466&sr=1-4

whoa, that is a good price ($62.23) – fwiw, I got the 4GB b/c it seemed like the “sweet spot” given that I could still add memory (and I also liked the choice of colors) – but this 8GB’er is pretty sweetly priced!

Amazon’s price has been fluctuating in the $60’s; this seems to be the low-point thus far.  Not bad, given that the Clip+ has only been out less than 2 months in the U.S.