Windows 7 Explorer not showing drive while it shows in computer management

I have faced this problem for months. With a Windows 7 laptop computer on a 64 bit processor, I have experienced persistent issues reading content on a Sandisk Cruzer 16 GB USB drive. On some occasions I was lucky to access my files within minutes however on a number of occasions I have been frustrated ejecting it then loading it again. After reading this chain of messages I uninstalled Samsung Kies then attempted to read files on my USB drive but it did not work. I even changed the drive letter for the USB drive to S from E, in vain. After uninstalling Sony Play Memories software which I had installed some months back, the problem appears to have been fixed. All my USB drives with a capacity of 8 GB or 16 GB made by Sandisk get recognized quickly and the files are read with no problem. I don’t think I could have guessed that this media software from Sony interferes with the driver for the USB drive from Sandisk. I must thank this person who discovered it. A stroke of genius, perhaps ?

1 Like

I can confirm that removing Samsung Kies fixes drive issue. I was unable to new 32GB Cruzer Glide on a Win8 machine. I was able to see drive installed and drive itself blinking.

I will post on Samsung Kies forums as well. I have a GS3 and use it quite a bit. I think that Samsung and Sandisk are partners in manufactering and should have figured this out ages ago.

Hi all,

Just registered to share some importand info! My Cruzer fit 32GB didn’t show on my windows 7 x64 system anymore when I formatted. Have been poking around my running services and discovered the problem: HTCMonitorSevice, it gets installed with HTCSync to detect your HTC phone and runs in the background. The drive showed up after stopping the service. Hope this helps!

Stopping Kies is also the solution for me (a few hours lost with this one, definitively more than the cost of the drive)

I have W7 and Kies 2.5.0.12094_28 (which is not the latest …)

Cruzer Slice 16 GB

SDCZ37-016G

BL1206ZMTB

TAD-SDCZ37(B)

D33724

Facing the same problem with 32Gig Sandisk Cruzer, Windows 7 64 bit. I can confirm that stopping the Sony PC Companion service (PCCService.exe) fixed the problem. HTH

What happens if the drive is plugged in and you restart the Sony PC Companion service?

I am having this problem with my SanDisk Cruzer 32Gb and I don’t believe I have Kies or Kies Agent running on my computer, I have never downloaded them nor see them running in task manager.  Any idea what could be causing my problem?

Any idea what could be causing my problem?”

Sony Play Memories app and Sony PC Companion service in addition to the Kies TrayAgent app have all been reported as causing the problem.

_ Sony Play Memories  app and  Sony PC Companion  service in addition to the  Kies TrayAgent  app have all been reported as causing the problem._

I don’t have any of these three applications or services running on my machine though

Neither do I, there has to be something else…

ANybody who has samsung kies program in computer and sandisk flashdisk… they donot work togather. in start menu of your windows (mine is w7 home) write “msconfig” and enter.

then a window will appear. there, you go to statup and uncheck everything about KIes. this is the startup programs to start automatically when win starts. it will as to resatr. do it.

then next time your sandisk will not be recognised. dont care. without touching sandisk, shut down computer and turn on again. every thing will be fine.

I read it smwhere and applied 4 myslef now everything works.

Kies? you have to start manually when you need.

I have 2:

Blade: BI1209240858

Edge: BI1207ZQRB

This issue only happens with these 2 units, I tested several others including a 4/8GB Patriot Rally2, 4GB LaCie, 1GB Cruzer Crossfire, and a couple of generic brands and they all worked fine.

Thanks!

Amazing! Your tip worked big time here on my HP running on OS Windows XP. Kies was indeed preventing my SanDisk Ultra 64GB to function properly. I killed all KIES processes and BOOM, all my files showed up. Thanks again. Raphael.

Also the KIES issue here; have now disabled auto-startup using msconfig, that solves the issue.

My Cruzer Blade (16GB) has code BL1106VXV8

Hope Samsung and/or SanDisk soon figure out a fix, I have always considered both as quality brands, if so many people suffer from this problem (both products are very popular) then they cannot ignore it.

Found this topic while searching the same problem you guys faced … cant detect files in my sandisk cruzer fit 32gb … couldnt find Kies or Sony software in my computer … BUT the only software that i installed recently was VMware vSphere Client. Uninstalling it prompt if i wanted to stop the service ‘USB Arbitruation Service’. Once it was gone, there my files were … Windows 7 even prompt me to fix the USB drive,  went away with it … every was fine after that …

check it out too guys … VMware vSphere Client … uninstall it … =S

Using Samsing Kies, v2.5.1.12123_2 on Win 7 Pro (x64), HP ProBook 4530s

USB devices are

1. SanDisk Cruzer 32GB (SDCZ36-032G, BM1107OGNB)
  2. SanDisk Cruzer Glide 64GB (SDCZ60-064G, D33724)

Same issue, start the Kies app and Cruzer’s are no longer populated in My Computer. Changed drive letters, removed/unistalled USB root hub in device manager, rebooted machine, reconnected cruzer…still not recognized. Stopped the Kies tree in task manager/processes, plugged Cruzer in and now recognized.

same issue but for me i killed kies process still when i connect the sandisk cruzer fit 32gb it takes like 2-3mins to get detected only then rest of the process of file copy, format etc also takes ages, same computer if i connect a lexar drive works like a charm for the past 5 years. first time i got a sandisk and all i get is conflicts and issues, plz fix this with some firmware upgrade as i need to use kies as well as this drive and if it aint going to work then plz reply so i can return it and get a lexar

I know of nothing planned at this point.

VMware was the culprit for me.

VMware attempts to make local drives available to the virtual guest OS.  I suspect that the VMware drive sharing process is not compatible with the larger-format SanDisk USB drives. 

I have the 32G Cruzer Fit, and it was doing the “green bar forever, shows no files” thing.  As soon as I turned off my virtual machine, my SanDisk USB drive came right back in Explorer.  I didn’t even have to stop the VMware app, just the VM, itself.  Maybe I could experiment with disabling individual settings within the VM profile, but that would take a lot of time that I don’t have right now.  Suffice it to say that in order to use my SanDisk USB drive, I have to turn off my VMware VM.

I am also having a problem with 16GB Cruzer Blade but don’t have any Sony software.  My laptop is an HP with Windows 7 Home and for the first time I have not been able to access anything on the blade.  It works on other computers though.  Is there anything in the HP software that their laptops seem to come loaded up with, that clashes?  (I am also using Norton 360 - could there be a clash there?)  The Cruzer Blade shows as being present and working correctly in Device Manager, but I cannot access at all through Windows Explorer.  I have tried all the fixes shown on this forum, but nothing has worked!  Please help.