What's the life expectancy of a Fuze?

If you’ve had a Fuze “die”, how old was it and what was the cause of death?  By “die” I mean become unusable, whatever the reason.

If you have an “old” Fuze that’s still working fine, how old is it?

Thanks,

Bob

Assuming no defects the lifespan is limited by the battery so you’re looking at between 3 and 5 years until battery performance is so bad you can’t use it for more than a few minutes. I doubt even the most enthusiastic playlist junkie music fashion victim will manage to make so many writes that the storage quits but it’s possible. Quite likely is that one of the wheel buttons or headphone jack will fail before you get to the end of the battery’s life. I have no idea how long this type of screen is supposed to last but similar ones I own have lasted fine, 5 or 6 years and counting, and have seen out the original batteries (iRiver H140 % H340).

MY red Fuze lasted 1 year and 3 months. when I had 6 months with my red Fuze I wen’t and bought another one for Just in case. I have now had my blue for 9 months!

My Fuze is over two years old and still working fine. The Fuze came out in March 2008, so no one has a Fuze that is more than two and a half years old. The most common cause of a Fuze dying seems to be people being

being rough with their Fuze and breaking the headphone jack. I only plug right angle plugs into my Fuze. If I want to use a headphone with a straight plug, I use a Y adapter cord with a right angle plug, plugging the right angle plug into the player, and the straight plug into the jack on the Y cord.

I guess with players like the Fuze with a built in battery, one should expect on average around 30 months of useful life. After that, consider the extra time as a gift. For those who are very careful with their player, it might last longer, however battery life will diminish over time even if it isn’t used much. To prolog battery life, store the player at cool temperatures, Never leave a player in a hot parked car. If it isn’t going to be used for a long time, store it with the battery having around 50% of a charge to have minimum battery capacity loss over time.

Mine has survived over the two-year mark with daily use. It’s in a silicone skin case.

Its worst problem is that pressing the far left side of the wheel–or squeezing the left side of the unit in a pocket–sometimes loosens the microSD card and causes it to refresh unnecessarily. And about once every 5 months I have to format it because the software acts up.

Headphone jack (with right-angle plug) and battery are fine.

The little nub on the on-off switch has snapped off, so it’s a fingernail or the headphone plug to turn the Fuze on.

I got a replacement Fuze earlier this year, but I haven’t needed it yet.

All in all, pretty impressive.

Mine is about 1.5 years old at this point, pretty much daily use, and shows no real sign of any issues. The wheel can be a bit gritty feeling on the left side, but overall, no problems to report. I do keep it in a fairly heavy DIO jacket that is part of an armband setup for exercsing, that may have cushioned it from a few falls it has taken.

I’ve had mine for 2-1/2 years, silver 8GB in a hard case, used pretty much daily and still going.

I’ve had my Fuze for almost a year and haven’t had any problems.  I listen to audiobooks for 1-2 hrs. almost every day.

My headphone jack is going a little nuts, the wheel is slightly squeaky on the left side or at the bottom at some times, and when my screen protector fell off, it became very scratched.  I have a silicon case for it.

Performance-wise, it is working the same way it did the day I got it (except the earphone jack).

I’ve had headphone/headset jacks break on too many other devices, rendering the device they were in nearly useless.  So one of the first things I did after getting my Fuze was to buy a 1/8" stereo adapter with a 90° bend in it.  The adapter stays plugged into the Fuze at all times.  When I plug in & disconnect earbuds, or the patch cord to my car’s stereo, it’s the $3 adapter that gets the wear and tear, not the Fuze itself.   I can easily replace the adapter.  I can’t replace the Fuze’s audio jack.

That’s a good idea, plugging in a short 90 degree extension cord so the Fuze jack is left alone.  Our oldest Fuze is about a year old now.  My wife used it daily.  Then she got a newer one and I inherited the older one.  It’s got a screen saver and a leatherette case, plus I keep it in a little tote bag when hauling it back and forth to work.  At work, I listen to the hand-me-down Fuze a lot while driving bulldozers on a coal pile.  Between the vibration and the dust, it’s not a friendly place for delicate electronic devices.

My wife ran the battery down to nothing numerous times on the first one, and we can see a big difference between the old Fuze and new Fuze.  I’ve picked up two external batteries at our local Staples that were packaged as generic chargers/extenders for cell phones. 

So with the Fuze in one chest pocket, the external battery in the other chest pocket, the Westone noise-isolating ear buds, the cables connecting everything, and the ear muffs to keep out the racket the bulldozer makes I probably look a little bit like someone with whom you should avoid eye contact. 

But the Fuze appears to be holding up well.  I’ll often recharge it at break by jacking into one of the PC’s.  I’m a little bit concerned about how the 90 degree Westone connector and the Sansa cable bang against each other when I have an external battery connected.

Telkwa wrote:

So with the Fuze in one chest pocket, the external battery in the other chest pocket , the Westone noise-isolating ear buds, the cables connecting everything, and the ear muffs to keep out the racket the bulldozer makes I probably look a little bit like someone with whom you should avoid eye contact. 

But the Fuze appears to be holding up well.  I’ll often recharge it at break by jacking into one of the PC’s.  I’m a little bit concerned about how the 90 degree Westone connector and the Sansa cable bang against each other when I have an external battery connected.

You shouldn’t have (or need) to do this unless you’re working an awfully long shift. The Fuze, even an older one should last at least 8 hours (and probably much longer) before needing re-charging.

im having trouble getting musicc from nqapster and installing it into the fuze. what do i do?

Well, you could post your question in some vaguely related thread. You could put “Napster” into the search box.

First thing I would do is try switching USB mode. If it’s Auto Detect, try MTP and MSC. If it’s MTP or MSC, try the other one.