Two Zipclips and new computer

I installed and loaded my zips with (now) my old computer. Bought a new computer yesterday. Can i install my zips into my new computer without causing any damage to them ?. I still load my music off of my old computer with WMP. which is now off line. I will need to use my new computer for firmware updates which is my only one that is online now. Is it safe?   ( Kinda new to all of this)  Thank you, in advance!

You don’t actually install your Clip Zips to the new (or any) computer. You simply plug them into a USB port like any other accessory orperipheral. They don’t care whether they’re plugged into the old one or the new one.

The only fly-in-the-ointment that there could be is if you were using WMP on your old computer to ‘sync’ your music to the players. If so, when you plug them into the new computer WMP won’t be able to find those music files and following its prime directive will sync the players to the new computer’s library. In other words, it will delete everything on the players if those files are not on the computer.

You don’t actually install your Clip Zips to the new (or any) computer. You simply plug them into a USB port like any other accessory or peripheral. They don’t care whether they’re plugged into the old one or the new one.

The only fly-in-the-ointment that there could be is if you were using WMP on your old computer to ‘sync’ your music to the players. If so, when you plug them into the new computer WMP won’t be able to find those music files and following its prime directive will sync the players to the new computer’s library. In other words, it will delete everything on the players if those files are not on the computer.

If this is the case you have 2 choices, copy all your music files to the new computer via a USB cable from one to the other so WMP will see them and not delete the files from your players or don’t sync in the first place; just copy and paste the files you want from your computer to your players and leave WMP out of the equation altogether.

Thanks, Ido have all my music on a sandisk flash drive, so i will move those files to new computer.

Recommended, in my mind, that you set the Clip’s USB mode, under its System settings, to MSC mode–this just works better, oftentimes, than the other choice–MTP mode (which is needed for DRM’ed files, in case you have those).  Best to avoid the Auto USB mode, in which the player can switch between USB modes, which sometimes serves to confuse matters. 

Do note that the free music SanDisk puts on the player originally is put on under MTP mode.  If you are keeping that music, and to keep things consistent, best to connect to your computer under USB MTP mode; copy the music to your computer; delete the music on your Clip; disconnect the Clip and reset to USB MSC mode; and then connect up and transfer the music back to the player under MSC mode.  That way. all your files will be consistent and transferred under MSC mode.  Why is this important?  Your computer can only see and show the files on the Clip that were transferred to it under the mode the Clip then is connected to your computer under.  Hence, a reason to avoid using both USB modes. 

“Two zipclips and a new computer”

Is that the updated lyric to the Beck song “Where It’s At” (“two turntables and a microphone”)?  :smileyvery-happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfmNxKLDG4

It very well could be… Maybe i got something here!

The trick is to use the same USB mode on both computers, so you can see all of your files.

Using Windows Media Player is just fine with multiple computers, just don’t use the Auto Sync function, Sync manually.  I swap my favorites between the PCs I use, dumping and reloading various Sansas while working with them.

Windows Media Player remembers the device, which comes in quite handy.

Now I have that Beck song running through my head, fun video!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: