Sansa Clip + clock/time?

I was messing in the system settings and I noticed you can set the time/date. Is there a shortcut to show the clock/time?

No.

But there really should be, via a press of the center button–a suggestion that has been made.

Miikerman wrote:
But there really should be, via a press of the center button–a suggestion that has been made.

2nd that.

Maybe a long press of the center button. That way you can still step through the frequency analyzer and next song screens if you want with a short press.

The frequency analyzer is worthless. It reminds me of the blue ring light on the Clip. Why not get rid of that, and have a press of the center button while playing show the clock time and the track duration, or perhaps first show the next track, then with a second press show the clock time and track duration?

I agree that the center button press screens need to be (1) expanded, and (2) re-thought.  I do like the idea of both short press and long press screens, and even a double-press screen, if possible.

Personally, based on importance, I possibly would use a single press for current track info., a double-press for next track info., and a long press for a clock.  But I’d also fit the graphic screen in there somewhere, for those who like the eye-candy.

What is the “next song screen”?  Is it supposed to come from the center button?  I don’t know how to get it.

How do you make a suggestion to someone who can really do something about it?

melman wrote:
What is the “next song screen”?  Is it supposed to come from the center button?  I don’t know how to get it.

While a song is playing, press the center button. You’ll see the frequency analyzer. A 2nd press brings up the song that’s qued up next. Handy if you’re playing in Shuffle mode. :wink:

melman wrote:

We already have. Or at least as much as we can, by posting our thoughts on this forum. There are SanDisk people who frequent the forum. While they may not be in a position to make a decision on such things, they can and do pass along suggestions to those empowered.

Some nice changes enhancments and bug fixes have resulted from posts here. One may not always get a direct response, but trust me these posts do get read and if and whenever possible, action is taken.

Another good idea is to post in the Product Feature Suggestions board. :smiley:

melman wrote:

We already have. Or at least as much as we can, by posting our thoughts on this forum. There are SanDisk people who frequent the forum. While they may not be in a position to make a decision on such things, they can and do pass along suggestions to those empowered.

Some nice changes, enhancments and bug fixes have resulted from posts here. One may not always get a direct response, but trust me these posts do get read and if and whenever possible, action is taken.

Another good idea is to post in the Product Feature Suggestions board. :smiley:

Tapeworm wrote: 

While a song is playing, press the center button. You’ll see the frequency analyzer. A 2nd press brings up the song that’s qued up next. Handy if you’re playing in Shuffle mode. :wink:

This doesn’t exist in Podcast mode, and that’s the only mode I use.  Another oversight?

melman wrote:

Tapeworm wrote: 

This doesn’t exist in Podcast mode, and that’s the only mode I use.  Another oversight?

Well, you might have said that in the 1st place. Most people use these players for music, so that is the natural asssumption when a question like this is asked.

I guess SanDisk figured ‘next song’ info would not be necessary when listening to podcasts.

melman wrote:

Tapeworm wrote: 

Well, you might have said that in the 1st place. Most people use these players for music, so that is the natural asssumption when a question like this is asked or explained.

I guess SanDisk figured ‘next song’ info would not be necessary when listening to podcasts.

Sorry, next time I’ll know to ask about things I don’t even know about.

:slight_smile:

Nah, go ahead and ask away!  No worries.  In podcast mode, like audiobooks, the Clip behaves a little differently.  In either mode, you have a bookmark. 

If the genre of your podcast was entered correctly as “podcast”, the player will store your 'cast files together.  (Podcasters are notorious for messing the details up on occasion.) The interface behaves slightly differently in this mode, as you’ve found.  The tradeoff is the cool resume function, variable speed, etc.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

So, what’s the point of entering the time? 

It doesn’t seem to have a timer, either.  I’d like a way to keep up with my exercise time.  MP3s sound too crappy for any other use. 

Perhaps of use for/by DRM-protected content?

"So, what’s the point of entering the time? "

Well, if your cellphone battery has died, you broke your watch and there’s no clock on the wall, and there is no one else anywhere near you with a watch or cellphone, and it’s too cloudy to read a sundial, you could always click through Settings to see what time it is. Otherwise…

I don’t have either one, but apparently the Clip Zip and Clip Sport have timer functions. 

You might also try installing Rockbox, the alternate firmware from www.rockbox.org . It probably has options to show the clock time and  a timer function.