Sansa clip/audio book resume-place question

After I plug the Clip into the computer and add audio books, I don’t seem to be able to resume the audio book I was listening to before. When I go back to the book, it starts at 0 on all parts so unless I happen to remember where I was (which part and which minute/second), I have to search for a while to find my place

I am using Overdrive media console to add audio downloads from the library, and they are put in the music folder which is where I am accessing them. As long as I just pause and don’t change the screen or add audio files, it resumes where I was when I paused it.

How can I always resume the audio book where I left off, even if I do something different with the Clip after pausing - like add additional books? (I’m looking for the “now playing” type feature that I have on my ipod.) thanks

If you would have spent a little effort and did a search for this infomation you would have found this has been asked many time.

You must tag your audio books files to get them to play in correct order (track numbers) and they must be taged as “audiobook” files for genre not SIFI or Fiction.

You then place them in the Audiobooks folder and the clip will remember where each book left off and resume.

Bookmarks only work in the Podcasts and Audiobooks folders. I use NetLibrary. My books also are transferred into the Music folder. I cut and paste the books from the Music to the Podcasts folder.  

Actually I’ve spent about an hour reading the forums before I registered and posted. I have no idea what “tag” means in reference to audio books on mp3 players. By “SIFI” do you mean the genre Science Fiction? On iTunes I know how to change genre, but in Overdrive I just use it to transfer the files to the Clip.The Overdrive help doesn’t even have the word “tag” in it, and as far as I can see, I can only do limited things to these files in Overdrive.

They do play in correct order. Only when I connect to the computer do they lose where they were. iPod has a “now playing” feature that lets me know what I was listening to when I stopped, so I was hoping to find something like that.

I did find one other post that seemed to possibly address the issue after I posted but it did not refer to tags. I guess using the Audiobook folder is actually the answer. I will try to do that for future books. Sorry to post what appears to be a FAQ that I couldn’t find an answer to, but thank you for answering.

ETA: Thanks for the second answer too - my library doesn’t appear to have “netlibrary” as an option. 

Message Edited by mparmer on 05-09-2009 01:56 PM

Libraries use either NetLibrary or Overdrive. For some reason, my books don’t work when I use NetLibrary’s software for transfers. So, I use Windows Media Player (WMP). I think you can change tags using WMP but I don’t bother. It’s so much easier to just cut and paste the file into the Podcasts or Audiobook folder.

@ja0000 wrote:
Libraries use either NetLibrary or Overdrive. For some reason, my books don’t work when I use NetLibrary’s software for transfers. So, I use Windows Media Player (WMP). I think you can change tags using WMP but I don’t bother. It’s so much easier to just cut and paste the file into the Podcasts or Audiobook folder.

This is probably the quickest most painless way to do what you are asking. But the Correct way to do it would be to download a program like Mp3tag, and edit the Id3tag that is the metadata embedded in the file (Its how your clip knows what song it is and what book title and that kinds stuff), setting the Genre to audiobook or speech.

Look here

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/search?board_id=clip&submitted=true&q=Audiobook

Putting the audiobook into the Audiobook folder wasn’t the answer, at least for me. I’ve now learned how to change the download location to the Audiobook folder when downloading books using Overdrive from the public library. However, I still lose my place every time I connect to the computer. In fact, I’m going back to allowing them to download into the Music folder. At least when they downloaded into that folder, I could manually write down my place (46/14) before I connected. Now that my books are in the Audiobooks folder, it always shows my place as being 1/1. I researched audiobook players for 6 months before I bought this one and am so disappointed with this technology. All I wanted was a player that could keep my place, doesn’t seem that much to ask for. Between the way this one loses its place & the impossible fastforwarding & rewinding, I would never recommend this one to anyone. I just keep reading the same unresolved problems posted over and over again for years. I guess the real problem lies in the free audiobooks, hence the lack of interest in the audiobook listeners.

1 Like