SanDisk SecureAccess (Password and encryption software)

SanDisk® SecureAccess™ software is a fast, simple way to store and protect critical and sensitive files on any SanDisk® USB flash drive.  

Access to your private vault is protected by a personal password, and your files are automatically encrypted - so even if you share your SanDisk® USB flash drive or it becomes lost or stolen, access to your files are safe.

SanDisk SecureAccess Download

I like the sound of this.  Can you provide more info?  Does it require it’s own partition/drive on the device, aka U3?  Does it require Windows admin rights to use? etc.

it does not use a separate partition. here are the faqs it should answer most of your questions.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/list/kw/secureaccess/r_id/101834/search/1

Every time I run Sandisk Secure Access, I Get - X ERROR  -    Please run Sandisk Secure Access from a Sandisk external device.

I am having the same problem.  I am running on Mac - and it is also saying “run from external device”

you need to copy the .dmg (for mac) or .exe (for pc) file to the flash drive and run it from there. if it is on your computer you will see this error. 

I am trying Sandisk Secure Access, but am not sure it does what I need.  It appears to work if I only access the locked files on the same PC that the Secure Access manager is installed.  However, I need to be able to walk to any PC, pop my USB Drive in and access the locked files by a password prompt - without having to install something on every PC.

Plus, I don’t want everything locked down on my drive, just personal folders.

Is this possible or am I missing something? 

Thanks!

Mike

if you are on a shared computer or computer where the SA manager is not installed all you have to do is open the drive and double click RunSecureAccess.exe this will launch the app and you can enter your password. 

That works… thanks!

On another note, I am also noticing that accessing the locked files takes forever.  For example, to copy one folder into the fault that is 560MB in size it took twenty minutes.  To copy similar files out of the vault takes quite a bit of time also.  I am sure it is the encryption that is taking so long, but It is not very efficient.

Is there a reason why it is so slow, and is there a way to just lock and unlock the vault so that I can work with files normally as I would any other file on the USB drive?

Mike

unfortunately no. files stored in the vault cannot be edited. 

Yes I know they can’t be edited and that is okay.  But moving them in and out of the vault for use takes a very long time because of the encryption.  It makes for very ineffecient work.  I had one file that I needed on another PC that was approx. 500MB in size.  It took over twenty minutes to copy into the Vault on the USB Drive and another twenty minutes to copy out on the other PC.

Is there another solution that just locks the files and allows them to be moved more efficiently?

Thanks,

Mike

Trucrypt and Tucan might be easier for you to use.  Though .5GB files are rarely fast on USB sticks.

http://truecrypt.org

http://tucaneando.com/features.html

Portable versions of both apps are available on http://portableapps.com/ .

Is there any way to get rid of the warning messages that the files cannot be edited? It’s getting annoying after 30 alerts or so…

Maybe a setting in the XML file?

Thx

Hi

Software is OK, but have problem with encrypted file. Files is in My vaults— My vault—Files—0000 folder, and my kid delete enc. files, and now when I start SDSA softwere I have list my files but no files, and I cant delete name of the files, why??

Why I cant protect My vaults folder ?? If is not protected everyone can delete my enc. files!?!

unfortunately the files are not protected against accidental deletion. if you cant delete the file names from the software just delete the app and reinstall it. 

Can you explain how the security mechanism works? I have read that some secure thumb drives work in this manner:

• User enters password into PC app

• App checks password hash against hash on thumb drive to verify password

• If successful, the app sends a control code to the thumb drive to allow decryption

• Encryption is via a generic AES key, not a key derived from the user password

• The device is therefore vulnerable to being hacked via use of a USB sniffer / injection of control code

Are any of the SanDisk devices vulnerable to this? Is the encryption key seeded with the user password, and therefore unique to the device, or is a generic key used?

Thanks.

I dont like this feature, Most Common People do not need a vault, for whatever they are saving,

It would be nice to just be able to copy and paste, or drag and drop, or add files.

More Passwords and codes and junk, I have enough already and its wearin me out/

Why don’t you uninstall it then?

I am running Win7 64Bit.  I have 16GB Blade with SecureAccess.  I can log in and screen pops up to copy files, but I cannot copy any files into the vault.  Works okay on my WinXP laptop and when I come back to Win7 I can see the files and read them. But I still cannot drop or copy files into the vault.  What is solution?

what happens if you use the add files button and browse to the files you want to add?