Rockbox 3.7 -- finally stable for the clip+

@tapeworm wrote:

@comfortablynumb wrote:

Hey, when do *I* get to be a guru?!?

In about 352 more posts. :stuck_out_tongue:

Check your math. :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe Guru status is acheived when one has 900 posts. If so, my math is correct. Why it’s 900 posts and not 1000, I don’t know.

I know that it was a long time ago when you hit Guru, but I coulda sworn that I hit Guru after clicking “post” on my 801st post. But I thought this was supposed to be secret Guru knowledge!:stuck_out_tongue:

@marvin_martian wrote:

…I coulda sworn that I hit Guru after clicking “post” on my 801st post. But I thought this was supposed to be secret Guru knowledge!:stuck_out_tongue:

How does the rest of us know that you’re actually telling the truth about that number?  Hmmm?

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

…I coulda sworn that I hit Guru after clicking “post” on my 801st post. But I thought this was supposed to be secret Guru knowledge!:stuck_out_tongue:

How does the rest of us know that you’re actually telling the truth about that number?  Hmmm?

I suppose it is possible that I am just a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBjtghitGOM

Interesting video, kinda cool.   Seriously, IIRC, your number sounds right.

Maybe it’s a moving target  :angry:

@comfortablynumb wrote:

Maybe it’s a moving target  :angry:

What is the big deal with it anyways, are you that anxious to have your name appear in red letters ?:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

What is the big deal with it anyways, are you that anxious to have your name appear in red letters ?:wink:

Easy for YOU to say! 

@comfortablynumb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Easy for YOU to say! 

You’ve been a member here for a year longer than I…but it would appear I have been far more active in the forum. I wouldn’t stress over it if I was you…you still show up in blue which is a nicer color than red anyways. :wink:

When the posters here mentioned that the manual is extensive, they weren’t exaggerating.  It’s almost 200 pages long! :dizzy_face:

@mags1230 wrote:

When the posters here mentioned that the manual is extensive, they weren’t exaggerating.  It’s almost 200 pages long! :dizzy_face:

It really is long…the good thing is that you don’t necessarily have to read the whole thing. Just looking at the Contents can help you narrow down what you actually need to read, to answer your questions. For example, I have no interest in audio recording, or playing the games, so I never bothered reading those parts of the manual…but other parts of it have been very helpful to me.

I’m no programmer or rocket scientist, but the majority of my questions I have been able to answer by going back to the manual…the good old “read the fabulous manual”:wink:

Even without the manual, RB is pretty easy to navigate.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Just looking at the Contents can help you narrow down what you actually need to read, to answer your questions.

After taking  a closer look at the Contents, I can see that the License and games sections take up alot of pages.  Those I won’t need to read.  Right now, I’m just interested in getting the increased battery life and in finding a better font/theme.

Two suggestions, Mags: 

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Just looking at the Contents can help you narrow down what you actually need to read, to answer your questions.

After taking  a closer look at the Contents, I can see that the License and games sections take up alot of pages.  Those I won’t need to read.  Right now, I’m just interested in getting the increased battery life and in finding a better font/theme.

1)  You really don’t need to read much more than “Quick Start” and “Browsing and Playing.” 

2)  Don’t try to change fonts or create your own theme until you are thoroughly familiar with the program.  My first time out, I tried to change to a larger and different font, and quickly went from bad to worse, and never could figure out how to “reset.”  Good advice for newbies – and I am DEFINITELY a newbie at rockbox – is browse throught the themes (including the user themes online), pick the one that works best for right now, and tweak it later to make it perfect. 

Only 249 to go! 

Or is it 349? 

(and Marv, LOVE the rtfm smileys!) 

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I only have two themes on my two Clip Pluses…I think they are the best, but of course YMMV.:wink:

http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=1004&target=sansaclipplus

and http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=1112&target=sansaclipplus

Most of the manual covers things like plugins and how to write your own themes that most people don’t need to read unless they want to do something special.  I find that besides getting started, and the install directions, I don’t actually need to read anything else.  The rest I can just search in acrobat if theres something I can’t remember how to do or can’t remember where a setting is located.

Thanks for all the suggestions,  you guys, much appreciated.

More questions from the RB curious because the manual wasn’t clear on this…

Most of my listening is Play All > Shuffle. Can this be done using the database build in RB? Or must you create playlists to use Shuffle? I don’t want to have to create a new ‘play all’ playlist every time I add/subtract files. (I hate playlists. Have no use for them.)

I assume the database build in RB integrates the onboard drive and sd card data into one, tag-derived database, correct? From a playback/usability standpoint, how similar is it to the OF? Obviously the interface/look will be different, but is the effective functionality similar?

Is the database build time faster, slower or about the same as the OF refresh time?

@robisan wrote:

More questions from the RB curious because the manual wasn’t clear on this…

Most of my listening is Play All > Shuffle. Can this be done using the database build in RB? Or must you create playlists to use Shuffle? I don’t want to have to create a new ‘play all’ playlist every time I add/subtract files. (I hate playlists. Have no use for them.)

Yes, you can shuffle all.  Assuming shuffle is enabled in Playback Settings, you then select Database–>All Tracks–>then select which track to start with. You will have to set this up again the next time you add/subtract files, but it only takes a second.

I assume the database build in RB integrates the onboard drive and sd card data into one, tag-derived database, correct? From a playback/usability standpoint, how similar is it to the OF? Obviously the interface/look will be different, but is the effective functionality similar?

Sometimes it may take an extra button push, here and there…but it is well worth it. And the custom EQ is world-class…you can even choose the frequency each of the 5 bands controls. I haven’t used the OF in months.

Is the database build time faster, slower or about the same as the OF refresh time?

I haven’t actually compared, but I think it is faster. The big difference from the OF is that you can select a folder with the file browser and listen to it while the database refreshes.

Thanks Marvin. Having two data/storage sources makes folder-driven play-all functionality difficult, which is why I’m still looking at relying on tag-based file builds.

The EQ is precisely the reason for looking at this, since the file handling and playback functions of the OF meet my needs.

@robisan wrote:

Thanks Marvin. Having two data/storage sources makes folder-driven play-all functionality difficult, which is why I’m still looking at relying on tag-based file builds.

The EQ is precisely the reason for looking at this, since the file handling and playback functions of the OF meet my needs.

Also, it seems that when you disconnect, if you  hold the power button until it shuts down, you can bypass the Sansa database refresh, which for some people takes a long time. I usually don’t bother with it,since I have two Clip+ and a FuzeV2 to listen to,  but it works.