[List] Features we need the most

This is an attempt to summarize the features we need the most.
It is based on the requests both here and ABI/Head-Fi. Please post your opinions & comments.

The firmware seems to be actively developed, and there is a chance we both can get what we want: sales for SanDisk, most requested features for us.

Hopefully this would be some point of reference for the devs.

In my opinion implementing these features would eliminate the immediate need for Rockbox in most cases.
Even more — as there are few aspects of the original firmware that are better — such as auto bookmarking and the 1st level menu, that could make it a better choice if the features were implemented.

Realistic

Sound: [Change] Lower the minimal volume (w/o affecting the maximum)  
Usability: [Change] Charge via USB w/o connecting if a certain button (f.e. Pause) is held  
Usability: [Option] Disable database usage (menu entries, refreshing, etc)   
Sound: [Option] Make sound processing (EQ, RG, etc) available for Audiobooks & Podcasts  
Sound: [Option] L/R channels balance  
UI: [Option] Show clock

Somewhat realistic

Sound: [Option] Parametric EQ  
Sound: [Option] Binaural processing (f.e. Crossfeed)  
UI: [Option] Hide the slotRadio entry

Unrealistic

UI: [Option] Custom wps.ini

@notgod wrote:

In my opinion implementing these features would eliminate the immediate need for Rockbox in most cases.

Even more — as there are few aspects of the original firmware that are better — such as auto bookmarking and the 1st level menu, that could make it a better choice if the features were implemented.

Nice list, but I can’t help but reply to this part of your post.

I absolutely love Rockbox on my Clip+, more than on either of my other Rockboxed players. Particularly on the tiny screen of the Clip+ it makes a lot of sense.

Pretty much all you are asking for is part of Rockbox as it is, and particularly bookmarking works brilliantly in Rockbox. Also developement at Sandisk is nowhere near as active and I’m not convinced they do much with requests or suggestion on forums. Of course Rockbox for the Clip+ is by no means complete and not ready for inexperienced users, but given the recent changes I have good hopes it will be soon.

I also doubt there’s much of a correlation between the “little” features you suggest and (extra) sales.

Good luck with your list though. The suggestions you compiled do make sense and would make the Clip+ (and/or other current Sansa players like the Fuze) distinctly better.

Message Edited by 7o9 on 05-22-2010 08:10 AM

notgod wrote:

This is an attempt to summarize the features we need the most.
It is based on the requests both here and ABI/Head-Fi. Please post your opinions & comments.

The firmware seems to be actively developed, and there is a chance we both can get what we want: sales for SanDisk, most requested features for us.

Hopefully this would be some point of reference for the devs.

Realistic

Sound: [Change] Lower the minimal volume (w/o affecting the maximum)
Usability: [Change] Charge via USB w/o connecting if a certain button (f.e. Pause) is held
Usability: [Option] Disable database usage (menu entries, refreshing, etc)
Sound: [Option] Make sound processing (EQ, RG, etc) available for Audiobooks & Podcasts
Sound: [Option] L/R channels balance
UI: [Option] Show clock

Your Sound request regarding the minimal volume, was only an issue with the FM radio, and this was fixed.

And the EQ and ReplayGain already does work on podcasts.:wink:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 05-22-2010 11:28 AM

Rockbox is great, but this doesn’t mean the OF shouldn’t be good as well. And I do find the OF auto bookmarking more convinient.

It’s obvious the firmware is being developed at some level (updates are frequent), and since no company ignores constructive customers feedback, maybe it’s time to try to summarize what we want the most to tip them in the right direction. The correlation between the features and sales is rather direct…

They sure have their own list, but it’s mm… the customers who buy them.

I did check like gazillion posts before posting the list, but could have missed something, please add if you feel so.

P.S. I did not mention the pitch issue because the devs have their own position on it, and because it was already dissussed to death. Was trying to be constructive here.

P.P.S. The low volume issue is only partly fixed. Still too loud for bedtime audiobooks, not terrible like iPod, but it would be great to have the scale wider.

Seconded, and nice summary–thanks for your effort!

I agree that the OF should be good and can be better.

The frequent updates to the firmware have been as good as meaningless to me as far as the Clip+ go.

Now it seems the Sansa players since the original Fuze have shared major parts of the firmware and new things have been added over time (like FLAC/OGG support, fake folder browsing and support for more files as SDHC cards get higher capacity) but nothing major was added/improved since the Clip+'s release.

Perhaps there are a lot of important fixes that they don’t mention on the changelog, but things like lowering the max volume, better performance for certain mono files and updated french translations mean very little to me.

The improved French translation and mono Flacs (sips tea) — are actually the reasons why I have posted this features request list. For some reason it felt like the perfect time to compare our lists…

Some of the recent updates were in fact very useful — such as the gapless Lame improvements, the first min volume hotfix and few other bug fixes. So their list is not all wrong, just probably not fully synced with us.

3 updates in a row means they do have the devs on the firmware. So whatever is the chance, it is better to let them know what the customers want than to sit and wait for the marketing rain. Chances are the current dev team is able to do it, and we can go and praise SanDisk in reviews even more.

The way SanDisk communicate is much better than other manufaturers imo. I’ve tried to communicate with few other manufacturers, and it was like talking to stars. So I don’t buy them anymore. Here I can sometimes see the response right in the changelog.

These totally doable features would make it the best player on the market, and I don’t see why SanDisk wouldn’t want that.

Regarding bookmarking , I’d think that the addition of a bookmark function in the music submenu would be the hot ticket.  The only sticky part is accessing those bookmarks later.  Would it bother you if, when you replay that track, the option “resume from bookmark” be bothersome?  Perhaps, the song could have a “bookmarked” icon if one is stored…

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a small, low-priority one:  fix the Clip/Windows 7 Device Stage interface so that the Device Stage screen accurately shows the Clip battery charge level.  The last time I accessed the Device Stage, this wasn’t working (something others have noted here as well). 

Also, is the battery charge level indicator on the Clip+ now fixed?

I want it to run on a single AA or AA battery, give 40+ hours life, have AM & FM HD capabilities, variable speed playback with automatic pitch correction, an option to disable tag browsing, a mic jack, line in, and advanced recording features with user-selectable mp3 or wma recording, selectable bitrate, and a low power monochrome display that stays on all the time . . .

Oh wait! I’m channeling JK98! :dizzy_face:

Miikerman wrote:

Here’s a small, low-priority one:  fix the Clip/Windows 7 Device Stage interface so that the Device Stage screen accurately shows the Clip battery charge level.  The last time I accessed the Device Stage, this wasn’t working (something others have noted here as well). 

Also, is the battery charge level indicator on the Clip+ now fixed?

My Devices and Printers doesn’t show battery charge level anywhere…maybe because I am in MSC mode?

Marvin_Martian wrote:

My Devices and Printers doesn’t show battery charge level anywhere…maybe because I am in MSC mode?

Yep–I believe you need to be in MTP mode for the Device Stage screen to appear (Device Stage is the new Win7 feature that can provide enhanced information about a device).  

Miikerman wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Yep–I believe you need to be in MTP mode for the Device Stage screen to appear (Device Stage is the new Win7 feature that can provide enhanced information about a device).  

I guess I won’t ever see the Device Stage for my Clip+ then.:wink: