Junk files, how do I delete them?

A lot of my podcasts are junk files that start with “._” and the filename of the podcast but contain no actual information.  All of these files are lumped together in the “Unknown” podcast category on my Fuze and despite several attempts to attach identifying info, there is none.

I use an iBook at home and a Windows Vista PC at work.  I’d love to know how to at least delete the useless files and attribute identifying information to the files in the “Unknown” category.

TIA

go to your fuze on the computer and go to podcast and delete the files

k1dub wrote:

A lot of my podcasts are junk files that start with “._” and the filename of the podcast but contain no actual information.  All of these files are lumped together in the “Unknown” podcast category on my Fuze and despite several attempts to attach identifying info, there is none.

I use an iBook at home and a Windows Vista PC at work.  I’d love to know how to at least delete the useless files and attribute identifying information to the files in the “Unknown” category.

TIA

These are ‘ghost’ files put on by your beloved iBook. Do a search here; it is well documented that Apple OS’s do this. There’s even a link in one of the posts I remember seeing to an app that will clean all these out for you. Or you can do it one at a time if you prefer.

Your Unknown files need tags–the electronic labels that mp3 files support. Podcasters can be lax about this.

You can right-click in Windows and go into Properties/Summary/Advanced and add it. 

Or make life easier and get mp3tag, freeware from http://www.mp3tag.de/en/  When installing, allow it to add itself to context menus.

Under Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg set the default to Write ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1, most readable to the Fuze.  Make sure you save it. 

Then right-click on the podcast, highlight it in mp3tag and add the information. Make the Genre Podcast so the Fuze will group it separately from music.

You should also run your mp3 albums through mp3tag–highlight all the files and click on Tools. Use the Auto-Numbering Wizard with Leading Zeros (so the track numbers are 01, 02 rather than 1/12, 2/12). That will also save the tags as ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 03-14-2010 07:11 AM

Thanks, I downloaded MP3Tag and all the ghosted files made themselves visible so I could easily delete them.

I appreciate it!

Are you want to delete junk files… try Krojam Cleaner program.It is a great cleaner program.