FW status update?

Sansafix - any chance of an update on the status of the new FW?  It’s been about 6 weeks since you posted it would be available in about a month.  Do you still expect it any time now, or have additional delays pushed it back again?  I know you can’t give a date, but I’m sure everyone would really appreciate an update on the progress.

They’re working out a few glitches, no doubt.  The priority is a wee bit lower, I would think, as the Fuze firmware in its current build is the most stable one I’ve worked with.

Back in February, we were anticipating the Clip firmware build, check it out for details. 

I’m sure the release of the latest Fuze build isn’t too far off in the future.  I’d place my bets on OGG / FLAC minutiae being a factor.  Oh, and don’t get all worked up in a lather over FLAC.  Good things come to those who wait.

Now get those earbuds back on!!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I agree it’s stable, but there are a few significant issues, so I really hope the priority isn’t too low.

I’m mainly suffering with the current navigation.  I have an 8GB Fuze and have been holding off getting an 8GB MicroSDHC because the player is pretty much unnavigable already (endless scrolling) and doubling the content would only make it worse.  It’s really only usable in Play All/Shuffle mode or with playlists.  I’m dying for wraparound, accelerated scrolling and some kind of alphabet index/filter.  Also, the performance issues with m3u playlists and the track limit on pla playlists are pretty severe (both have been fixed on the Clip).  These problems severely limit the usability of the Fuze for people with large libraries. So yes, it’s stable, but I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking the issues deserve some urgency.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my Fuze in general, but these few issues are becoming quite frustrating.

As much as I’d like to see FLAC/Ogg support, I wish they had addressed some of these core fixes/enhancements in a minor patch release before tackling major new features.

I need accelerated scrolling, wrap-around, or something! I have 500 or so. I know that’s not as many as a lot of people, but with only 500 songs, it takes abou 20-30 seconds to get all the waythrough the Artist list!

That would have been nice if they had released only a small fix, but they haven’t.

I hope the update comes soon!

@gabe565 wrote:

I need accelerated scrolling, wrap-around, or something! I have 500 or so. I know that’s not as many as a lot of people, but with only 500 songs, it takes abou 20-30 seconds to get all the waythrough the Artist list!

That would have been nice if they had released only a small fix, but they haven’t.

I hope the update comes soon!

I’ve got about about 1700 songs from about 500 albums and 300 artists.   So it’s basically impossible to use any of the browse modes.

“I’ve got about about 1700 songs from about 500 albums and 300 artists. So it’s basically impossible to use any of the browse modes.”

You could figure out creative ways to use the Audiobooks and podcasts folders. If for example you have rock, classical, and jazz music on your player, you could move all the classical music to the audiobooks folder, and all the jazz music to the podcast folder. Then you might for example have 3 music collections each with around 100-200 albums. This would be easier to navigate than having everything together. The real solution though is a new firmware that allows browsing by folders or by ID3 tags.

Lets hope they get a move on and release this FW soon, I have 1600 songs and its impossible to find anything quickly, forget the OGG/Flac ■■■■ thos are nice to have and not essentials.

As previously mentioned core problems need to be fixed the things that clearly whoever tested the software didnt do a very good job.

I love the fuze but the FW update should of been released by now even if it was one fix it would have been a start.

Im sure they will fix most things, and I do hope they include an ID tag editor.

I have around 500 Albums, and it is hard to navigate. Wait, Impossible to navigate. Something needs to be done, like a “Go to X”. X meaning a letter of the alphabet thats the first letter of the wanted album/song/artist/whatever. That would indeed be useful. So, I am hoping and willing and waiting to see if Sansa Addresses this issue. I wonder what people who have the View do? Scroll Endlessly?

Mark

Message Edited by markjones12345 on 09-16-2008 04:34 AM

The wraparound scroll is the Fuze’s Achilles heel, and it will be addressed.  My workaround until then is to narrow the search via Genre, Album, or Artist modes.  This shrinks the list considerably.

Working with the various Sansas, each model has its unique differences.  For example, the Clip has a three-line OLED display.  Selecting “songs”, it scrolls through them at a dizzying pace, but the first letters of the listings are stable enough for a quick alphabetical search.

The e200 scroll wheel rockets through the songs list in either direction, plus the upper and lower quad buttons allow a fixed rate scroll.

The upcoming FW release will make for some happy thumbs.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

and when is this new FW release?

Do we have a list of the propoes fixes/features?

Masybe someone could explain to me why organizing your music by genre is such a problem? This is what i do and i currently have well over 1,000 songs.It seems the logical way to go.  

"Masybe someone could explain to me why organizing your music by genre is such a problem? This is what i do and i currently have well over 1,000 songs.It seems the logical way to go.   "

It might be useful, but if someone has all rock music for example, then they would need to concoct custom genre designations for all their albums, then edit all the genre tags for all their files. That is not so hard using mp3Tag. It is a workaround though, and not the optimal solution. The optimal solution is allowing navigation by folders or by tags.

@shmince wrote:
 Masybe someone could explain to me why organizing your music by genre is such a problem? This is what i do and i currently have well over 1,000 songs.It seems the logical way to go.  

For it to really limit the scope of browsing, you’d have to have a lot of genres.  But the more genres you have, the harder it’s going to be to remember what genre to use to find a given album/song.

Also, I prefer to use relatively high level genres (Rock, Electronic, etc.).  So I’d still have hundreds of songs in each genre.  Add in an 8GB MicroSDHC and I could easilly have a 1000 songs in one genre.

So it might be a useful workaround for some people, but it’s certainly not a solution.

@jk98 wrote:

The optimal solution is allowing navigation by folders or by tags.

I don’t disagree on the usefullness of folder browsing, but I don’t think it’s really a solution either.  Depending on how your folders are organized, you could still have a serious navigation problem.  We really need accelerated, wraparound scrolling and an alphabetic index/filter where you could select a letter and jump to that letter in the list (or filter the list to items begining with that letter).  This would work for both tag and folder browsing modes.

I agree that organizing songs by genre is only a workaround but,it’s one i can live with.I’m running with 16gb’s on this puppy right now and i’m nearly maxed out.I’m using many different genres at present but, remembering which songs or albums go in which genres is not (for whatever reason) an issue for me.I can certainly see though  that were i to, for instance, try to cram every song i’ve ever heard onto my Fuze this method might become a bit unwieldy.  

Message Edited by shmince on 09-17-2008 02:57 PM