E260 version?

Hello,

Bought an e260 used and am unsure as to the version. The FAQ’s on the main site were less that illuminating. I’m looking forward

to enjoying this clunker.

Here is the version.txt file that was ont the thing.

A little help would be lovely!

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D Base Code: 05.51-S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D ODM Ver.: S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D OEM Ver.: S301.01.11A-D Build Type: -D Build Date: 2006.07.14 Build Number: (Build 169.31)      

Wow, that’s a v2 model with the original firmware; where on earth did you find this jewel?

Only problem is, SanDisk forgot to put the option to switch the USB mode into the original firmware, so you must update it (you’d want to anyway). Go to this post and follow the manual installation instructions for  Mac and Linux users (even though you may have Windows); this tells you how to ‘force’ MSC mode so you can update the firmware. The links to the different geographical firmware versions are in this post as well. Download the appropriate one, and follow the instructions.

Congratulations on a great find; that’s an awesome player. Ain’t nothin’ built like that in SanDisk’s line anymore. :smiley:

Thank you for your response Tapeworm!

Thanks for enlightening me.

The thing came in the mail today without even the tiniest scratch with the USB/docking cable complete with what looks like the original twist tie. Consider it available unaltered for a day. I just want some tunes.

After that it will enter my not so gently used personal hardware maw.

It seems like this messaging board’s auto-notify function, isn. You can reach me at mustash7@gmail.com

I was wondering why it was acting in a manner contrary to the user’s manual that I downloaded and suspected it was a firmware issue. The Sandisk site pointed out that firmware was not interchangeable.

I guess. based on your post that the auto-update firmware utility would not work.

Please don’t hate me :) 

I imprinted on my first AT based PC a century ago and paid over $3000 for a a monochrome monitor and a dot matrix 9 wire. It was generic and I will spare you other gristly details.

Thanks again!

@mustash7 wrote:

I was wondering why it was acting in a manner contrary to the user’s manual that I downloaded and suspected it was a firmware issue. The Sandisk site pointed out that firmware was not interchangeable.

I guess. based on your post that the auto-update firmware utility would not work.

You might have downloaded the wrong manual, or as I said SanDisk boo-booed when realeasing the v2 model without the USB switchable model. There is a v1 and v2 version of the e200 series. Although they operate pretty much the same, they have a different processor and also require different firmware for each. So no, they are not interchangeable.

The main difference between the two is the fact that the v2 is SDHC compliant, meaning it can natively read external memory cards greater than 2GB. The v1 can only read SD (2GB and under) unless you install 3rd-party firmware called Rockbox. That however, is a subject for a different post and doesn’t really affect you anyway.

I suggested using the manual installation method for 2 reasons:

1.) The player has to be in MSC mode in order to update the firmware. The player comes from the factory in Auto mode, which defaults to MTP. Without the USB option in the Settings menu, there is no way to update it with the Updater.

2.) Since this player is long discontinued, there won’t be any more firmware updates for it, so even if you could use the Updater this time, there won’t be any need for it ever again. An it is a nagging resource hog on your computer, slowing it down and ‘phoning home’ every time you plug your player in trying to see if there’s a newer update to download.

1 Like

Yup. Wrong manual for sure although very similar. I will do as you suggest. Is there a limit on the SDHC size? I read somewhere that some manner of data cannot be accessed from the SDHC Can’t remember what. I will use this primarily as an MP3 player but it would be nice to have a bit more room in any event.

Thanks Again!

Hi,

I went to the hyperlinked post you suggested.

The instructions said to

• turn the unit off
  • engage the hold switch
  • press & hold the left button
  • plug it in and wait for it to be recognized.

When I do that the Sansa screen and wheel lites up The screen is basically black and reads “system shutdown” and somehthing about hold.

It is not recognized. It recognizes fine when the little fella is on and goes into transfer mode.

Am I missing something here?    :neutral_face:

Try it again. It helps to have a Windows Explorer window already open. As the directions say, start with the device off. You must already have the USB end of the cable plugged into your computer.

Slide the HOLD switch towards the headphone jack. Press and hold the REW |<< button (9 o’clock position). Now with this button pressed, plug the other end of the cable into the bottom of the player. Continue holding the button until you see 2 new drives pop up in Windows Explorer. Once it does that, you can release the button.

The 1st drive is the player; the 2nd is the memory card slot. The 1st drive is where you are going to drop the firmware file (after it’s extracted from the .zip file).

Tried it again Guy. Even unplugged my MagicJack which shows up as a drive.

Same thiing…Screen & wheel light up. Screen then says keys locked (or some such) System Shutdown.

■■■■■■ goes dead.

I held down the << key for a full minute anyway.

No joy although everything shows up in explorer with the thing on including the

Everything done as you instructed. The only thing that was different was that I got an “updating database” message next time I fired it up.

FYI running Win 7 ultimate on an i5xxx box.

The player seems to operate normally in all respects otherwise.

Screenshot of player contents posted here. http://www.4shared.com/photo/Bf0lj86X/Sansa_Screenshot.html

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Weird! OK, do me a favor . . . go into Settings > Info (on the player) and tell me what the top line says. This will be the firmware version currently on the player, and also confirm what hardware version of player you have.

I’ll do that now but before I forget, I had the device hooked up to the computer. I noticed that many of you tracks disappeared and the balance were converted to WMA files. I tried to eject and it said it was busy. I force the eject and the screen went back to “Connected” When I disconnected it the screen briefly read “Hardware Refresh” (of something like that) Hope I didn’t corrupt the whole thing.

OK it says “Version 01.01.11A”

One more thing:

You said this was a ver 2 but that was based on the version text file posted on my original post.

I’m wondering here. Looking at the back of the player it says “Model e260” That’s it.

Huh…Tried to post another message & it just went away. You may see this twice.

I looked at the back and it said Model e260 (no version# after it) Is that OK?

You actually have a v1 player, not a v2. You can tell from the build date, the cpu model name, and the firmware version.

1 Like

Saratoga is right. I was misreading the info in the version.txt file earlier. That’s why the forced MSC procedure wasn’t working. I suspected that, which is why I asked you to confirm the firmware version.

So the manual pertinent to your player is this one, and the firmware update can be found here. You should already have the capability to switch USB modes to MSC so there should be no issues with updatiing the firmware. Just follow the directions in the firmware post.

1 Like

Appearently YOU can tell Saratoga :wink:

Bugger! I just ordered a 16 Gig micro!

I shoulda known when you got so excited Tapeworm. My luck just doesn’t roll that way. :confounded:

Just got a business laptop (think sturdy enough to drop) complete with biometrics in the mail with the wrong friggin’ charger!

Didn’t I read somewhere that Rockbox (or something) is a workaround? Will it handle 16 Gigs? Is it worth the hassle?

Is the Sandisk Converter software any good? Haven’t tried it.

I’m assuming you guys looked at the txt file loaded on the e260 and I actually need a firmware update.

Anyway Tape & Saratoga, thanks a lot for your time.

Yes, rockbox enables support for SDHC cards.

I wouldn’t fret about getting a version 1 instead of 2. Rockbox can take care of enabling it to read the larger cards (plus a whole lot more). I can remember when the v1 was actually the preferred version until the Rockbox folks cracked the v2 nut.

The v1 e200 series is still an awesome little machine and a rare find these days, built like the proverbial brick  - - - - house and does a couple nice things that the v2 with the different processor doesn’t.

It’s like a

A classic!

1 Like

Forgive me Mr. Tape,

I have some concerns and a couple of questions that you may be able to help me with.

Since before I  attempted to update the what I thought was the correct firmware for V2 the e260 got sort of locked into “writing”.  No file transfer took place with the V2 stuff but immediately before that I played a track from the 260 through my desktop sound system

When I restarted it I got a refreshing database or somthing .

Then when the smoke cleared and we determined that I really had a V1 I went through the ordeal of updating that firmware and the same thing happened. It got stuck in “writing”. Eventually I restarted the 260 with the button. When I pulled the plug it restarted gave me the same message. I’m not sure that the update was successful but it did scramble my tunes. A lot of the tracks disappeared. They came back when I changed the USB settings to MTP. Fact is I didn’t load anything with media player. Just dragged em over.

Here’s the txt file that loaded on the 260 dated today

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D Base Code: 05.51-S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D ODM Ver.: S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D OEM Ver.: S301.01.11A-D Build Type: -D Build Date: 2006.07.14 Build Number: (Build 169.31)     

Can you tell me if the update was successful?

Is there something more sinister going on? Should I format and start from scratch? Am I going to spend a lot of time putting tunes on the 260 only to have to drag it kicking and screaming into the lawn and shoot it?

Whew! naffa dat!

Next question is about Rockbox. Are there different versions? Where is it? Whats right for my V1 e260? I already ordered a 16 Gig card for its little butt before I found out it was a V1.

Is the V1 capable of album art? Where the hell do you put the .jpg’s for it? I read that they should go in the “same folder” but there are folders for Artist, Song etc. The device seems to be able sort and puts the tracks or at least refrences to them in several folders.

OK…I’m done now :manembarrassed:

@mustash7 wrote:

Can you tell me if the update was successful?

No update was applied.  

@mustash7 wrote:

Next question is about Rockbox. Are there different versions? Where is it? 

www.rockbox.org

1 Like

Installed Rockbox. Kinda neat program but the interface sux.

I was just wondering if you knew if just the code to break the SDHC barrier could be loaded without the rest of the program.