clip+ doesn't play music when charging in car

hello all

I just bought a new clip+ and I’m having some problems with it:

when it is charging with my car usb charger it doesn’t send sound to my speaker, only static

when I unplug the usb charger, it plays just normal

I tried using 2 different chargers and always same problem

when I plug the audio cable only halfway in I do get a sound while it’s charging but only one speaker

so basically, no sound while charging…

please help, thanks in advance!

edit:

fixed!

solution:

buy a ground loop isolator (cheap ones can be found on ebay) and but it between the audio cable and aux-in

I bought a simple one with a male and female 3,5mm audio jack,works perfect!

Message Edited by Qrt on 02-24-2010 10:44 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem. I am really disappointed. This means that the player will go in the trash when the battery died ?

This is not really green. I hope a firmware can fix that.

@glodius wrote:

Hi,

I have the same problem. I am really disappointed. This means that the player will go in the trash when the battery died ?

This is not really green. I hope a firmware can fix that.

What’s got to do with the thread?

Sorry my poor English skills made me misinterpreted the subject ;(

lol!

(Unless you’re fully charging every day, the battery likely will last for you 3-5 years plus.  Although I understand your concern, significantly enhanced players should be around by that point …)

so what’s the estimated lifespan if it’s fully charged often?

Average lifespan if used regularly is probably 2-3 years. With very heavy usage, average lifespan might only be

a year or so. There is a good chance that something else on player will break before the battery becomes completely dead. It is annoying though when the battery can hold only around 50% of its original capacity. This is when auxilary battery packs become especially useful.

aww, so all clip+ players have this problem?

do you know of any other mp3 players can play music and charge at the same time?

must have a micro sdcard slot…

The Clip+ should be able to charge while it is playing, except when connected to a pc. The noise that you hear may be due to noise from the car’s electronics. Have you tried using a power only cable to connect the car USb adapter to the player?

The Clip also will play while charging via computer, if you use a power-only cable or attach the cable loosely so that the data pins do not connect.

Thanks for information, I can fully enjoy my Sansa Clip + now :). I was scandalmonger.

For the initial problem (that I understand now…). I’m thinking on a too high amperage that which disrupts the device.

Higher amperage won’t cause bad effects, it might enable the player to charge faster though. Does the cable being used have a ferrite bead? Perhaps that might help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

“Average lifespan if used regularly is probably 2-3 years.”

Bad news

“With very heavy usage, average lifespan might only be a year or so.”

Even worse news.

“There is a good chance that something else on player will break before the battery becomes completely dead.”

That’s not exactly sweetening the deal.

Did I lay out $50 for a device with a 1-3 year lifespan with daily use? Is this typical of these micro-players?

jsmaye wrote:

Bad news

Even worse news.

“There is a good chance that something else on player will break before the battery becomes completely dead.”

Did I lay out $50 for a device with a 1-3 year lifespan with daily use? Is this typical of these micro-players?

My Fuze and my original Clip are still working just fine for their current owners, and they were bought in September and October of '08.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@jsmaye wrote:

Bad news

Even worse news.

My Fuze and my original Clip are still working just fine for their current owners, and they were bought in September and October of '08.

But that’s still within the 1-3 year lifespan mentioned above.

To clarify, when I asked if this lifespan was indicative of these micro-players, I meant in general, not specifically the Clip/Clip+.

“But that’s still within the 1-3 year lifespan mentioned above. To clarify, when I asked if this lifespan was indicative of these micro-players, I meant in general, not specifically the Clip/Clip+.”

What do you expect for around $50? Even much more expensive players, those $150-300 probably don’t last much longer. Players are designed for features and performance, not longevity. Here’s a question. Assuming it is possible to build a player with double the average lifespan, and a two year warranty instead of just one year, how many people would be willing to pay 50% extra to buy it? Since technology is advancing so fast, most probably wouldn’t want to pay the higher price.

The issue of a built in battery is a bit different, as its capacity is decaying over time, so it isn’t just a matter of the player working or not working, but of dealing with decreased battery life over time.

Twenty years ago, Walkman tape players with radio built in and Dolby noise reduction were at least $65. Adjusting for inflation, that is equivalent to $113 in today’s dollars. Now compare the difference in sound quality and functionality of the two. Walkman tape players probably lasted on average something like just one year.

Ten years ago, a good portable CD player with radio was at least $80. That is equivalent to $104 in today’s dollars. While portable CD players did typically last much longer than tape players, they were bulky and not so convenient to carry around. An mp3 player with 4 GB of storage and good sound quality for under $50 today is

a great deal in comparison. Of course the CD player used AA batteries, and many early flash memory based mp3 players used a AAA or AA battery. 

For the price, I would be more than happy with a year of use (although I do have a 2 year warranty :smiley: ).  I think I upgraded the original clip every 6 months (when the higher capacities came out).  The idea of not buying another player for 2-3 years is something I find disturbing… but I am a compulsive shopper.

“The idea of not buying another player for 2-3 years is something I find disturbing… but I am a compulsive shopper.”

You don’t marry a player, so you can have more than one.I have a few mp3 players. I like the idea of giving away a  player when I grow  tired of it. I gave away a portable CD player last year(I still have 2 left) and my Slotmusic player. A friend offered to buy my 4 GB Clip after i bought my Clip+(I guess he might have paid $20-25 for it, but I didn’t want to sell it). I still have some old one GB players. Perhaps when I buy another player I might soon give away one of the one GB players?