Car head unit won't recognize external micro sd

I use my sandisk clip+ in my car head unit connected through the USB.  It sees the internal drive just fine, but recently I added a 2gb external micro sd card and it doesn’t read it (or can’t find it?).  I know the external micro sd is working because the songs load just fine into the sandisk itself, but I just can’t access the external micro sd drive through the car head unit.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

I suspect the head unit only supports one drive (i.e. mass storage device). The Clip+, with microSD card, consists of two (internal + card).

I know my head unit only supports one drive (and the manual makes that clear).

@stuartmw wrote:

I suspect the head unit only supports one drive (i.e. mass storage device). The Clip+, with microSD card, consists of two (internal + card).

I know my head unit only supports one drive (and the manual makes that clear).

Correct.

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the info.  Looks like 8gb will have to do.

Looks like 8gb will have to do.

Or you could do what I do and use a USB stick in your car. In my car the head unit has certain restrictions that my Clip+ doesn’t (files per folder etc) so having two devices isn’t an issue for me.

The Microsoft Sync system in my Ford Fiesta won’t recognize the 32GB card in my Clip+ either.  I use a SanDisk 32GB Cruzer instead, but I had to convert all of my FLAC files to MP3s because it won’t play those, as well.  I’d suggest using a flash drive, too, or a small portable hard drive with all of your music stored on it.

@hulksmashnow wrote:

The Microsoft Sync system in my Ford Fiesta won’t recognize the 32GB card in my Clip+ either.  I use a SanDisk 32GB Cruzer instead, but I had to convert all of my FLAC files to MP3s because it won’t play those, as well.  I’d suggest using a flash drive, too, or a small portable hard drive with all of your music stored on it.

Or the simplest of solutions . . . a memory card (of any size) in a card reader plugged into the USB port on your car’s stereo unit. Much easier, cheaper and not hard to hide when you’re out of the car. If, Heaven forbid someone breaks into your car and steals it, it’s not as expensive to replace as the other options.

@tapeworm wrote:

Or the simplest of solutions . . . a memory card (of any size) in a card reader plugged into the USB port

Actually that’s exactly what I have.Some brands (e.g. Kingston) of microSD(HC) cards can be purchased with a very small USB card reader. In my vehicle the USB slot is in the center console utility box and is therefore hidden. The reader is so small that it doesn’t interferre with anything else in there.

And if I ever need a microSD card for some reason I have one…

Sorry if I’m wrong to resurrect this old thread, but I think the subject is appropriate.  I just got a new Acura TSX with the standard stereo.  At first it would not recognize my sd card.  I loaded up the standard 8gig memory on the clip+ and when I plugged it in this morning it started to play from sd card.  Of course now it does not see the standard internal memory.  I’ve only had the car for 3 days so I still have to figure it all out.  I kind of miss my cassette adapter solution I used in my older Audi.

Your car’s stereo is probably not ‘smart’ enough to see the 2 different drives (interanl and memory card). Most aren’t. Better off using a memory card with a card reader, or the player without a card inserted.

That’s what I assumed, but now I want to figure out how it chooses which one to mount. 

First, it chose the internal memory and started to play a small audiobook which was the only files loaded.

Second, I “deleted” the files, but with Linux that creates a hidden Trash folder which the car found it and started playing.

Third, I hard deleted the Trash folder and with nothing it reported no files.

Fourth, I filled the internal memory with as much as I could and it played from the sd card.

I’ll probably just get a flash drive, but I’ll give it a few more tries.

From what I’ve read in the past, cars tend to read the internal memory.  But this all seems very idiosyncratic to the car and system.

Perhaps just keep both–internal and exernal–memory loaded up and see what the moment brings!   :wink:

Played with it more last night and it now reliably reads from the sd card but not from internal memory.  There seems to be some other quirks but this is all related to the car not the Clip.  So now to check out the car’s forums for information.