Can't add anything to microSD card

Hi, I have a 1 GB microSD card that I used on a cellphone and decided to use it on the Fuze. I reformatted it, put it in the slot, and when I went to add songs, the external memory shows this:

Space used:100% (it shows a red color)

Space free: 0 bytes

Total size: 0 bytes

I’ve tried reformatting the card a bunch of times in different ways:

FAT (Default)

32 kilobytes

FAT32

32 kilobytes

FAT32

4096 kilobytes

and the external memory still shows the same stuff. Am I doing something wrong? Help is much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Same problem here.  I got the card inserted (thanks, Black Rectangle) and my computer recognizes the card (shows 0 files) but whenever I try to add files (attempting to add flac files), I get the message that I’m attempting to put more mb than is available on the card (it’s a 4 gb card).  I’ve also tried putting on a single MP3 file, same results.  It’s a brand new Sandisk brand card, I’m using Media Jukebox.   

Message Edited by RickH on 11-28-2009 01:09 PM

FAT32 should be the right format. Are you formatting it from the computer in MSC mode? (under Settings/System Settings/USB mode) Can you try formatting it in a reader? 

I don’t know anything about Media Jukebox, but let’s get it out of the way for a moment.

Put the Fuze in MSC mode (with the microSD in). Now it works as a flash drive–no software needed to “manage” it. Connect, open the microSD (the next drive after Sansa Fuze, probably says Removable Disc) in Explorer and drag over a file. Does that work? 

If not, have you tried formatting the card? (Assuming it’s empty–you know formatting will erase everything.) Right-click on the microSD   and Format…to FAT32. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 11-28-2009 10:38 AM

I changed the player’s setting to MSC and When I click on the removable drive for the sd card, it doesn’t allow me to check the properties - in fact, I get the hourglass and it just sits there. 

Here’s something that may help us figure this out:  I switched the setting to MTP and when I click on Properties for the sd card, it shows the File System as “Generic Hiearchical”.  How do I change to FAT32?   It also shows the card as being completely full but there are no files on it. 

Message Edited by RickH on 11-28-2009 02:16 PM

Message Edited by RickH on 11-28-2009 02:18 PM

Black Rectangle, thanks.  My wife had a reader and she formatted the card, everything’s working as it should.  She is more familiar with messing with these cards with cameras and such. 

I’ve been trying to format the card using a reader. I just tried formatting it while the card’s in the Fuze (MSC mode) and at first it seemed to work. I was able to add .mp3 files, but when I disconnected, the songs didn’t show up in the player. I checked the player’s Info, and it shows this:

SD Card: 0 MB

Free: 0 MB

I plugged the Fuze back into the computer and when I tried accessing the card’s drive, it says I need to format it before I can use it.

"I changed the player’s setting to MSC and When I click on the removable drive for the sd card, it doesn’t allow me to check the properties - in fact, I get the hourglass and it just sits there. "

Change the player back to MTP. Use Windows Explorer to delete the mtp files from the card. It seems like Windows media player synced with your player in mtp mode and filed up the player. Disconnect the player, switch the USB mode to MSC.

asdasd

@ilkerburak wrote:

I’ve been trying to format the card using a reader. I just tried formatting it while the card’s in the Fuze (MSC mode) and at first it seemed to work. I was able to add .mp3 files, but when I disconnected, the songs didn’t show up in the player. I checked the player’s Info, and it shows this:

SD Card: 0 MB

Free: 0 MB

I plugged the Fuze back into the computer and when I tried accessing the card’s drive, it says I need to format it before I can use it.

Same problem… How can we solve it ? Thanks…

Make sure the player is set to MSC mode if you want to format the card with Windows format utility. Otherwise, you could use the SD Formatter by the SD Association.

solved thanks

The Fuze has two USB modes, MSC and MTP. The computer only sees one at a time. So if you filled it up in MTP mode, but you are connecting in MSC, then you could get that result.

Format the card again and try that specific  card in your cellphone.  It could just be a bad card.

asdasd

i also tried another card 2 gb again NO NAME but this card worked like a charm in the 6303 but again on fuze 0 mb… this can’t be a problem related with the card or formatting or mtp etc. FUZE is DEAD !!

@black_rectangle wrote:

The Fuze has two USB modes, MSC and MTP. The computer only sees one at a time. So if you filled it up in MTP mode, but you are connecting in MSC, then you could get that result.

Format the card again and try that specific  card in your cellphone.  It could just be a bad card.

I have found that memory cards are the exception from the rule. IDK why, but I add a file in MTP mode, and I can read it in MSC. If I add a file in MSC mode, I can read it in MTP mode. BUT that only works with the memory card.

How old is your Fuze? If your Fuze is still under a year old, maybe you can have Sandisk give you a replacement, since all Fuze players come with a one-year warranty. That’s assuming that you are willing to do so, however.

If it’s dead, it’s dead. You have a one-year warranty.

My v1 is now about 26 months old and gets a lot of use–but not a lot of in-and-out with the card slot. Maybe I’m lucky. Maybe you’re unlucky.The Fuze is a low-priced, cheaply made unit that happens to sound surprisingly good. I don’t expect it to last forever.