Booting from a Blade...

Afternoon, all.

Now then; before I go any further, I just want to state that I’m well aware that SanDisk says they don’t support booting an OS from their flash drives.

That said, I’m a Linux user…who has been successfully been using Cruzer ‘Blades’ to boot Linux OS’s from for a couple of years; and they work very well. Until today…

I always use either 8 GB or 16 GB ‘Blades’. I purchsed two new 8 GB sticks yesterday…and this where the problems started. My sticks always run from a 7-port powered hub; no issues there. To boot an OS, it follows that I need to have the stick plugged in, and powered on, for the boot process to find it, detect it, and then to boot from it, yes?

With these two new ones, the only way to use them is to wait until the OS has booted, and then to mount them. If I try to boot from these two, the boot process ‘hangs’ half-way through; in other words, they won’t boot.

Would this be anything to do with the change in the manufacturing process a while back, where these drives are now recognised as ‘fixed disks’ (rather than ‘removable disks’)…so as to comply with Windows 8/8.1 certification?

I’ve tried the ‘Blades’ from other ports on the machine (I have 13 to choose from in total!), and the end result is the same.

Any ideas?

Mike. :wink:

Would this be anything to do with the change in the manufacturing process a while back, where these drives are now recognised as ‘fixed disks’

Unlikely.  I don’t know how Linux displays drives as Fixed or Removable but try them in a Windows machine, then use Windows Explorer to see if it shows them as Removable or Fixed.

Another possiblity I think would be USB 3.x vs USB 2.x support of your hubs.  Contacts are different for the two devices.