Any work on expanding the database size?

I know that the Fuze is essentially a “dead” product, but I just like the UI and hardware better than the Fuze+.  It’s a lot more suitable for how I use my player since I really don’t go for the flashy UI and the oversensitive touch pad.

With 32GB cards now down within the realm of affordability, is there any work on expanding the Fuze database capacity.  I know the Fuze+ will hold more, but I have to deal with the wonky UI and touch controls and huge startup times.

Currently the only avenue for me is to Rockbox the device to get past the DB limitation and that tends to kill my ability to use Rhapsody. 

It’s stated that the database will hold 8000 songs but currently can’t get much more than 5375 on it.  The files are there, the DB just doesn’t parse them.

Until the fuze+ is more usable, with firmware upgrades, I’m stuck.  I have the latest firmware on the Fuze+ but it’s still just too much a pain right now and it sits as a backup.

I know that Sandisk would get no further profit from expanding the DB size, but it would really be appreciated.  Either that or come up with the Fuze ++ which gives us the best of both worlds.  The new DB with the reliable hardware (scroll wheel, etc.).

I know it’s a pipedream but I really wish someone would at least expand this thing out to about 10000 to 15000 entries.  If a bunch of volunteers at Rockbox can do it, I’m sure the programmers at Sandisk also have the ability.

@p_opus wrote:

I know it’s a pipedream but I really wish someone would at least expand this thing out to about 10000 to 15000 entries.  If a bunch of volunteers at Rockbox can do it, I’m sure the programmers at Sandisk also have the ability.

Ability isn’t the issue . . . SanDisk needs the incentive. Which would then translate into an order from the boss. Until he gives the word to do something, the developer’s hands are tied.

One thing that I can see would prevent them from releasing a firmware update are all the other users of the clip, clip+, and view that’ll start complaining that they’ve been neglected.  There will be posts that’ll state in general that if Sandisk can update the fuze, then they should also release something good for their players too.

@mags1230 wrote:

One thing that I can see would prevent them from releasing a firmware update are all the other users of the clip, clip+, and view that’ll start complaining that they’ve been neglected.  There will be posts that’ll state in general that if Sandisk can update the fuze, then they should also release something good for their players too.

That’s never stopped them before. People has been complaining about the lack of firmware update support for the View for years. :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but there hasn’t been any complaints recently for their “legacy” players.

Well, I rockboxed my Fuze and it’s dang near perfect.  The new installer software they have makes installing it near bullet proof.  I remember doing it all maually and stuff for my E200R and it was a bit scary because if you didn’t “read the instructions” you risked bricking the player.  Now, my cat can do it.  They really have automated it as well using the Rockbox Utility.  You just need a copy of the original firmware which you can download manually from this forum.

Rockbox handles database creation so much faster and better than the original firmware.  On the Fuze it takes nearly 7 to 8 minutes to update the database with a 32GB card installed.  On Rockbox, less than a minute.  You can also choose to do database update on power up, or do it in the background manually.  You can also “update” the database and simply update the changes which is even faster.

Another great feature is the ability to easily make playlists on the fly.  It takes getting used to using the “virtual keyboard” but once that is figured out, you can easily navigate the file structure and make playlists.  I love it.

Finally, they got “shuffle” and “random” down pat.  In any database category, you can choose “random”.  So if I choose album and pick Random, it will automatically queue up an album and start playing.  You can do that for Genre, Artist, Year, or whatever.  Really cool stuff.

The downside?  Rockboxing the Fuze makes it unusable with Rhapsody subscription tracks.  But I guess that’s what I’ll use my Fuze+ for in the meantime. 

I am uber impressed with a Rockboxed Fuze, it utilizes the great hardware of the original fuze along with greatly improved firmware.  I just wish it wouldn’t break the ability of Rhapsody to access the secure clock.

People have tried asking the Rockbox Dev’s to do something about it, but since they are vehemently anti-drm, they aren’t to enthusiastic about working on it. 

That’s ok. I guess I’ll use the Fuze for the music I “own” and the Fuze+ for the music I “rent”.  I keep thinking I’d go back to original firmware if they ever upped the DB limitation, but I’d sure miss some of the customizations and performance features of the Rockbox firmware…Not to mention the ability to play Sudoku, Chess, or Asteroids while listening.

p_opus,

I have a similar problem with my Fuze to what you describe.  I have an 8gb Fuze with a 16gb card, and have just under 10,000 songs, but can only get around 5,700 or so on it.  I don’t want to mess with reducing file name size, removing album art, etc to squeeze a few more on, if Rockbox would take care of the problem (I don’t use Rhapsody).  I tried Rockbox with my old E260 Sansa, and it was a disaster - almost “bricked” it, as you described!  I’m not computer-illiterate, but I’m no guru, either - do you have any suggestions, instructions, links, anything that you could send on how I would update mine?  I understand this will still ultimately be at my own risk (obviously), but since you have experienced almost exactly the same issue and solved it, I am hoping you can help.

Thanks,

fuzelover123

All things Rockbox are at www.rockbox.org .

Or maybe p_opus can send over his cat.

@black_rectangle wrote:

All things Rockbox are at www.rockbox.org .

Or maybe p_opus can send over his cat.

It’ll certainly be alot more fun to watch his cat install RB.  lol

@fuzelover123

With the automatic installer and a copy of the fuze firmware on the desktop, it’s really not that hard.  It only looks that way.  Do read the installation instructions in the maunal until you’re familiar with it and installation should be trouble-free. 

Go to rockbox and download the Rockbox Utility.  You will need a copy of the fuzea.bin firmware file available here from one of the manual firmware download links.  It’s really dead simple. 

You simply plug in the device in MSC mode and the installer will detect your player. 

Very simple.

I also have discovered that you CAN listen to Rhapsody tracks on a Rockbox Fuzed.

Follow this thread so you can maintain your Rhapsody tracks while running Rockbox on your player.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Fuze-Rockbox-Rhapsody-Channels-1-Happy-Camper/m-p/245022/highlight/true#M49089

Hey, just Rockboxed the Fuze, no cat necessary, and I’m very happy to say that I can now see ALL of my songs, around 10,000 of them.  Still very early in my Rockbox experience, but it looks like it offers so much more flexibility / customization that was not available with the original operating system.  Thanks for the help, i appreciate the links and info provided!

Glad to be of assistance. 

The more you explore, the better you’ll love it. Sure, the “games” are sexy, but the coolest stuff has to do with creating playlists on the player (takes a little getting used to, but the documentation is good), or using the “Random” function to choose one of the Database categories and allowing the player to just start playing.

Choosing album then “random” picks a Random Album from the player and plays it in order.  You can do the same with Artist or Genre.   Really cool. 

Just to give SanDisk a little message.  I have since purchased two refurbished Fuzes to keep in “backup” in case something happens to my current Fuze.

I know that for SanDisk, firmware development is not normally considerd a “profitable” venture.  But you guys have to know just how much Rockbox is doing to not only extend the life of your EOL products, but how being transparent to the Rockbox Dev’s could positively affect your current hardware sales.

The Clip Zip is close to being Rockbox’ed and the Fuze+ is underway too.  I know most companies are pretty guarded about their stuff, but you guys really should engage and help the Rockbox community, even if “unofficially” behind the scenes.

Not only have I purchased three fuzes in the past 3 years, because I love the hardware, but I have also purchased a 32GB MicroSD card from Sandisk.

And Rockbox is a HUGE part of that.  Just think about it.  Going against Apple’s juggernaut is pretty much a fools errand at this point, but Sandisk can continue to carve out a niche market of people who prefer to listen to high quality music than play “apps”.  By embracing Rockbox, you assure your self future hardware sales, both from a player standpoint, but through additional memory sales.

p_opus, I’m still getting used to the Rockbox way of doing things, but this is a good thing, since there are so many options available to play with, unlike the Fuze software that you could blow through in a few minutes.  It’s great to now see all of my music, and you have made me consider buying a backup Fuze, since I have not seen too many positive Fuze+ reviews!  Thanks again.

Don’t get a Fuze+

It really pains me to say this.  I have been a Sansa supporter since the M200, and the Fuze+ is the only player that Sandisk has made that I can’t recommend.

The touchpad is too sensitive, It is difficult to use single-handed, is completely unsuitable for use in low light conditons and the UI is extremely laggy when a micro SD card is incorporated. 

Rockbox developers are working on a Fuze+ release, but I really can’t see how they will pull this off.  Even with the enhancements, the lack of a tactile control surface means you have to have the lights on to position your finger properly. 

I even experimented with putting electrical tape on it so I could feel where the center is.  Also the microprocessor used is not as powerful as the Fuze, so it fails miserably when the database is spread across the local memory and Micro SD card.

I really wanted to love this player, but can’t. 

^^The Fuze+ does have a faster processor then any other sandisk device FWIW.