16 GB micro SDHC cards

Will the 4GB Fuze support a 16GB micro SDHC card?

All my music is in FLAC so I was after some space for a few more albums.

Been happy with the FLAC on fuze so far, just drag and drop from my music collection, everything works fine, except when the album titles are very long! but thats no real worry.

Cheers

I think it does because it’s a sdHC reader. I actually use a 8GB micro sdhc card. Both 6GB and 16GB are sdhc card.

But you can’t be sure without testing… and I think it’s the goal of this message :wink:

They claim it will support up to a 32GB micro SDHC card. By the time they make the 32, I will probably be ready for it.:smiley:

“Will the 4GB Fuze support a 16GB micro SDHC card?”

For FLAC, I assume the answer is yes. For lower bitrate mp3 or WMA music, the answer might be not completely until the next firmware update. Some have said that with the current firmware, there is a limit of around 4,000 songs that the player can access.

“For FLAC, I assume the answer is yes. For lower bitrate mp3 or WMA music, the answer might be not completely until the next firmware update. Some have said that with the current firmware, there is a limit of around 4,000 songs that the player can access.”

I sure hope they fix it then. The two main reasons I ordered the FUZE is the flash drive(better for bouncing around on a motorcycle) and the expansion option to 40G eventually.

That’s supposed to be on the agenda for the next fw update, which I was told will be out next month.  Let’s hope…

D

About this, I’ve searched the forum and the internet but can’t find a straight answer. Is there any news on when the 32gb cards are going to be out, have they discontiued trying to get these out (no market for it or something like that)?

Also, a question to the developers, if there will be a 32gb card coming out in the future. Will the fuze be able to find all my music-files on my 8gb+32gb card?

Is it even possible with the hardware in the fuze?

Message Edited by rizzly on 10-14-2008 09:08 AM

The 16GB cards just came out a couple weeks ago and are supposedly only being sold at 2 locations in the states until 2009. I wouldn’t expect the 32’s to hit for another year. Every time a larger capacity card comes out, it reduces the demand (and therefore the value & price) on the smaller cards it just surpassed!

As far as the firmware keeping pace . . . if SanDisk is working on the solution to the +/- 4K song limit now for f/w release in a month or so, I would think (notice I didn’t say assume) that they would test all perceivable options and make sure that it would have no problems with the future 32GB expansion plan while they are at it. It would seem sort of silly to re-visit the same issue twice.

There’s another issue with the higher capacities: ease of navigation (or lack thereof).

I’ve got around 1800 MP3s on my 8GB Fuze and it’s incredibly tedious to scroll through the Artist/Album lists.  And forget about ever using the Song list.  The new wrap around scrolling helps a bit if you happen to be looking for something near the end of the list.  But trying to scroll to album 200 out of 500 is painful.  It’s why I’ve been holding off getting an 8GB card; it’s only going to make the navigation problems worse.  I’m pretty much limited to using playlists and shuffle right now.  What’s going to happen with 5000 songs on an 8GB Fuze with a 16GB card?

A few of us on the forum have been begging for indexed lists and accelerated scrolling for a while, but so far no response.  If anyone else thinks this is an important issue please say so on the most recent thread on the subject:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=4939

I’m guessing none of the Sansa devs or techs have a lot of artists/albums on their players because it doesn’t seem like they even realize there’s a problem here.  So if you think it’s a problem you should speak up.

It is definitely an issue that has to be addressed sooner or later if Sansa is to remain competitive in the DAP market. Other players in the market like the Ipod and Creative both have a search feature to find artist and titles using keywords. Navigation is also made easier with accelerated scrolling on the ipod.

As we all know the Sansa is above the ipod on sound quality and its unique expandable capacity, isn’t it common sense that we need to have a superb navigation to support the expandable capacity which is our competitive advantage?

The latest scroll runs twice as fast as the previous version  (it accellerates to 2X speed)

You can wrap around the bottom and cut the search distance in half.

We will look at accelerating it even more.

"

The latest scroll runs twice as fast as the previous version  (it accellerates to 2X speed)

We will look at accelerating it even more. "

What about the original question…will the 16GB(and 32GB in the future) cards work?

Hi,

I just picked up a FUZE this weekend, as a birthday gift to myself. I am quite impressed with the MP3 player, very good value. I’m thinking about upgrading the firmware for the improved scrolling speed.

One thing I wonder is, besides making the scrolling speed faster, why not include an option to scroll by first letter in all lists (title, artist, albulm). Even better would be a search feature where one could enter a few letters and whatever matches would come up. 

These features would be really handy, especially as many songs are loaded. 

Keep up the good work. 

@sansafix wrote:

We will look at accelerating it even more.

I really appreciate your attention to this issue.  As I said, the wrap around definitely helps and it’s at least possible to find something now, but it’s still quit tedious.  Navigation is one of the only areas where Sansa lags way behind the competition.

Please also consider an alphabetic index. Progressive, accelerated scrolling by itself would probably be sufficient for the internal memory, but it’s not going to be adequate to also handle high capacity microSDHC cards.  An 8GB Fuze with a 16GB card could easily have 5000 songs (or way more with lower bitrates).  And we should see 32GB cards next year.  It’s going to take both an index and accelerated scrolling to handle these capacities.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 10-15-2008 10:55 AM

The Fuze hangles 16 GB cards and will handle 32 GB cards eventually.

The scrolling accelleration is on the list for possible update.

Alphabet navigation is off the table for this product as its a big set of changes to do this.

"

The Fuze hangles 16 GB cards and will handle 32 GB cards eventually."     THANKS Sansafix!!:smileyvery-happy:

@sansafix wrote:

Aha! I thought I was just imagining that it was faster!

I still avoid long lists as much as I can, but then I was already avoiding them with my iPod for the same reason. The only player I’ve seen that handles long lists well is the Zen Vision:M with its letter indexing.

I look forward to the next update then. While it would have been nice to see alphabet navigation, the support and communication that you provide (especially right here in this forum) is priceless and make up for it.

Listening to your customers will make you and you’re company continually sucessful.

@bdb wrote:

The only player I’ve seen that handles long lists well is the Zen Vision:M with its letter indexing.

The Rio Karma was excellent on this respect. I’ve looked long andhard for a replacement for my trusty old Karma and two days ago, ordered an 8GB Fuze and a 16GB Sandisk microSD card. The extra 4GB will be handy, the Ogg Vorbis support useful, but I’m a little dismayed to learn of the 4000 song limit. I managed to miss that in my research.

Is this limit a total between Fuze memory and SD card? My ripped collection is sitting at just under 5000 tracks and growing.

Fifer -

The fix is on the way as we speak. The next firmware is due out in November with that as one of the main ‘bug fixes’. :smiley: