Re: V-Mate not suitable for 8Gb SDHC Card

1) I have not tried any non-Sandisk Ultra II models of SDHC cards greater than 4GB.

2) I have not noticed the speed of slower cards affecting its usability with V-Mate (the speed DOES affect how quickly I can transfer data to/from an (XP) computer and the card (using Sandisk Micromate card reader) and I find the Ultra II good in that regard (and "faster" Sandisk SDHC cards would not transfer data any faster than the Ultra II for my setup)).

3) I have found sales of Sandisk Ultra II every now and then (when I keep looking) in the $3 to $5 per GB range ($50 for the Sandisk Ultra II 16GB at a local Best Buy store, for example).  If you have a fast V-Mate to PC connection, I recommend off-loading files to a hard disk.  

I dont know whats the problem with your sdhc card, but I'm using a Sandisk Ultra II SDHC 32GB and it works great. Be sure to update to the latest firmware.

Thank you.

Highlighted

@Geejay wrote:

I dont know whats the problem with your sdhc card, but I'm using a Sandisk Ultra II SDHC 32GB and it works great. Be sure to update to the latest firmware.

Thank you.

At risk of repeating myself, have you recorded 32Gb of video in one session?

As I wrote previously..

I hope your right, but I suspect you haven't fully tested the 8Gb card, with mine it seems to have a 4Gb limit, any video recorded under that size will be OK, but if you record over 4Gb the V-Mate will freeze, and even though a video is stored it is actually unviewable. (I tend to record my security camera at 320x240 at 25fps which gives just over 1Gb per hour, so that's four hours recording.)

Message Edited by Al on 06-16-2009 05:25 AM

As noted elsewhere, there is a FAT32 system imposed filesize limit of 4GB (2^32 - 1 = 4,294,967,295 bytes, to be precise) that prevents the V-Mate from ever (as long as it continues to use FAT32) recording more than that.  That is because there is a 32 bit binary field containing the filesize in bytes.  A possible work-around for you and others who would like long recordings is to schedule multiple recordings that follow one another.  For example if you determine that under your existing setup that no 4-hour recording will likely ever exceed the 4GB limit, and you want to record for 10 hours from 1:00 am to 10:59 am, then schedule 3 recordings:  say 1:00 to 4:59, 5:00 to 8:59, and 9:00 to 10:59  Note that I include a 1 minute gap between the recordings -- this I normally do because the V-Mate seems to require that amount of time before a scheduled recording so that it can wake up the source video device (if it is powered off) and about 15 seconds later send the channel code.  Warning:  long files seem to take longer to "close" (i.e. do all the system activities involved in creating the finished/complete recording file).  You very well may find that a 1 minute gap will not be enough in certain circumstances, so you may have to experiment to find out how much is enough.  One other thing is that you may not be able to tolerate any gap at all.  If this is the case, an acceptable work-around may be to have two V-Mates, and in the previous 10 hour example schedule the 1st V-Mate to record from 1:00 to 5:00 and 9:00 to 11:00 and the 2nd V-Mate from 5:00 to 9:00 (and maybe even build in a 1 minute overlap as well).  Having more than one V-Mate complicates things if you are using the IR Emitter to control the source of the video or the source video device only has 1 set of A/V output jacks (A/V splitters exist, but typically cost $20 or more in order to not lose signal strength).

One last comment:  it is a shame that the V-Mate programmers were not able to (successfully?) code a graceful exit to the filesize overflow problem by closing the near 4GB video as though the user had pressed the STOP button just before the overflow would have occurred.  As it stands, the V-Mate just crashes, needing to be manually powered off in the back and leaving the memory card with a large "orphaned" string of 32KB clusters which have to be manually deleted (in XP:Right Click on Drive Letter/Properties/Tools/Error-checking/Check Now/Automatically fix file system errors/Start).  It may be that they did not have a memory card large enough to test their code.  This would be a really nice bug-fix to have in a future firmware version.  I'm sure it would benefit SanDisk by resulting in increased sales of the 8, 16, and 32GB cards.  (Thanks for your thoughtful consideration, SanDisk!)

Great to hear that the SanDisk 32GB Ultra II cards work with the V-Mate! 

Will you make a similar post when you test out SanDisk's first 64GB SDXC card (reformatted for FAT32, as I presume will be necessary)?

You guys are right, my scheduled recording of 2.5 hrs daily "hanged" on the 8th day, maybe its when the 4Gb limit was reached. Might as well replace my 32 with a 4. thank you guys for the info.