Re: V-Mate not suitable for 8Gb SDHC Card

@AL wrote:

Also the USB connection which works fine with cards 4Gb and under doesn't work with the 8Gb card, I'm using USB 2.0 and Windows XP Home SP2.

How are you connecting the 8GB card to the USB port on the V-mate? I'm curious to the setup your using for that.

@AL wrote:

I think it may be a related problem..

just to address if anyone is going to through in a card in the V-Mate bigger than 4 gigabytes. FAT file systems in general can not address files larger the 4 gigabytes (32 bit limit in FAT32). For that you need to use another kind of file system (that the V-mate will have to support). Else keep the files below 4 gigabytes if FAT.

..which is probably why I can't record above 4GB!!

Message Edited by Al on 02-26-2008 01:25 PM

This would entirely be the reason that you cannot record above 4GB. The FAT32 file system does not allow for files over 4GB. You cannot create them, access them, copy them, nothing. NTFS fixes the 4GB limitation but i'm not sure yet if the V-mate supports NTFS. Since I've got the card and the V-mate I'll try it out and let you know.

Message Edited by Noe_Boddi on 02-27-2008 03:10 PM

Vmate does not support NTFS it only gives you an error of Memory Full. So the problem lies with the FAT32 files system in the long run.

Has this issue been corrected or would a user need to transfer a file from the recorded memory card (fat32) to a NTFS formatted SDHC?

Well, I just got a V-mate today. Not being a 'read the manual first' type of person, which was pretty appropriate given the manual you DON'T get with the thing, I plugged it into my PC and the first thing it told me was that I had to format the SDHC card (I bought an 8GB one with it). Fair enough. No problem.

Uh-oh! What's this 3.60Gb capacity of the 8Gb card? Are they supported, I wondered? They couldn't have built something in the 21st Century with such a stupid limitation could they?

There followed a hiatus of several hours with me cursing the remote for being ropey, until I realised that 'IR emitter' isn't a translation error and the actual receiver is in the unit itself - and if you point the remote at that instead of in the opposite direction at the 'emitter' on the end of that cable, it works perfectly.

Then I came here to register the product and see if there was any info about this 4gig/8gig thing. Became somewhat more confused because of conflicting information.

Anyway, long story short: I installed the firmware update and the 3.60Gb limit has now gone up to 7.60Gb - the formatted card says categorically that it has 7.59Gb free (with 4kb used).

On a related note, I haven't tried a proper recording yet as I plan to use this with a bullet cam, but I was impressed by the recording times in the spec sheet - even a 4Gb card would have done what I wanted, so the 8Gb one is much the better.

I have a cheapo ATP brand 8Gig SDHC card, class 6. It works fine with my V-Mate with the firmware upgrade.

Windows (2000 and XP) can format FAT32 drives up to 32 Gigs, not 4.

Strangely, Macs can format much larger hard drives as FAT32, and can read NTFS disks, but can't write to NTFS without a 3rd party driver.

Once the drive is formatted FAT32, Windows can read and write to the disk.

I bought a 300Gig external hard drive that was formatted NTFS, plugged it in to a Mac, reformatted it FAT32, and Windows PCs and Macs can read from and write to it.

After the firmware update, I was only able to get my PC to report 7.6GB capacity on my kingston 8GB SD card using a simple sandisk card reader (not the sandisk v-mate as the reader connected to the PC) - formatted in FAT32, I think.

BUT, I'm only able to record on the V-Mate, up to about 6.2GB of material, on the PC/high quality recording mode - it stops recording anymore material after that.

Anyone have ideas why?    Sandisk tech support responded that 4GB is the maximum capacity v-mate handles!  Reports of their confilicting info about this renders them of no help.

Does anyone know if it works with a 16 GB card? Preferably SD.  i just ordered the v-mate and i'm wondering what it works with before i buy the card. 

On another note.  where can one acquire a manual, since it seems one doesn't come with it.  at least, according to previous posts.  i can't find the v-mate anywhere on sandisk's website.

Highlighted

I have successfully used several models of Sandisk's 8GB SDHC memory cards.  By the way, all of them consistently have 249,040 (32,768 byte) clusters (aka allocation units), i.e. 15,930,560 (512 byte) sectors, i.e. 8,160,542,720 bytes fully usable for video files.

I have successfully used Sandisk Ultra II 16GB SDHC memory cards.  Although not consistently the same size, all of them have at least 485,936 clusters, i.e. 31,099,904 sectors, i.e. 15,923,150,848 bytes fully usable for video files.  One had 499,408 clusters.  (It would be of interest to know if SanDisk eventually will standardize the 16GB SDHC memory card capacity as it seems to have done with the 8GB SDHC memory cards.)

Although I don't know for sure, I suspect that the V-Mate will have no trouble using the Sandisk Ultra II 32GB memory cards.  (I wonder if even larger capacity cards (SDXC??) might not eventually be reformatable for FAT32, and then be fully usable by the V-Mate!)

By the way, as previously noted FAT32 doesn't allow files to be greater than ~4GB, and this applies to all devices like the V-Mate that use FAT32.

My experience so far has been that if a single long recording goes over 4GB, the file does't get closed properly and so is unusable (in fact the clusters allocated to it don't get linked to the FileName and a utility like Scandisk needs to be run to recover the orphaned clusters).  It would be nice to find a utility that can repair such files and let them be usable video files again!

My experience so far has also been that if a recording exceeds the available free space on the card, sometimes the file gets closed properly and is entirely viewable (although truncated) and sometimes the file does not (and is like as described in the previous paragraph).  I am trying to investigate why this is so, and eventually be able to eliminate (or at least mitigate)  the creation of such corrupted video files.

MikeDuffy,

Have you been able to successfully use anything other than the Sandisk Ultra II 16GB SDHC memory cards? 

As I've posted, I've only been able to get v-mate to record about 6.2 GB of recordings from Kingston 8GB SDHC cards.  Maybe the last recording I made on it exceeded card capacity and it didn't save the file, as you indicated sometimes happens.  I'll try making short recordings when it approaches the 6 GB mark and see what happens.

Are the Ultra II read/write speeds greater than normal, and does this account for your greater success?  The Ultra II cards are very expensive and I didn't want to spend that much money.

Concerning the possible use of SDXC cards reformatted with FAT32 being usable with V-Mate (and other SDHC compatible devices), I found this:

From www.tomsguide.com/us/

"We called up the SD Association and spoke with Kevin Schader, the SDA's Director of Communications he clarified that while the newer [SDXC] cards could work with older cameras and phones, the results of reformatting are very unpredictable. "The behavior of an altered card could vary depending on the device the card is used in," said Schader. "Possible outcomes include the card not being recognized at all, only being recognized up to a certain capacity point, or it may even recognize the entire card. The bottom line here is that the behavior is unpredictable." While the results may be up in the air, having up to 2 TB of storage for your camera or PMP without shelling out cash for a new one is an exciting prospect. Just make sure you back up those photos before trying anything!"