Accepted Solution

V-Mate not suitable for 8Gb SDHC Card

I have severe doubts that the V-Mate is truly SDHC compatable.

I have bought an 8Gb SDHC card specifically to use with with my V-Mate and it doesn't work.

I have spoken to Sandisk technical who basically shrug their shoulders and say it's got a 4Gb max card size.. which it doesn't mention anywhere, in any literature online or with the product.

So I guess they should stop claiming SDHC compatibility or fix the incompatibilty, and at least inform people that it will not run a SDHC card higher than 4Gb.

I hope they fix it soon with a firmware update.

If anybody does get a V-Mate working with an 8Gb+ SDHC card could they post the details here.. (make size and class) thanks.

What is SDHC?

SD High Capacity (SDHCTM) card is the new SD™ memory card based on the SDA

2.00 specification, introduced by the SD Card Association. This new SDA 2.00

specification enables SD cards to reach higher capacities - 4GB-32GB*

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pdf/sdhc.pdf

Re: V-Mate not suitable for 8Gb SDHC Card

I'm not happy to read about that.  I don't have an 8GB yet but once the price point comes down I was going to get one.  Was your 8GB card a SanDisk model?  One of the reasons I thought this unit would be good is that it should support all the cards that Sandisk sells and since they say SDHC it should not mean only 4GB SHC cards.  It would be nice for somebody from Sandisk to comment here.  As for support responses did the person you talked to actually try it?  I'd make sure you were getting your message through to them on this as I find this pretty bad if true.  Hopefullly it may be a firmware issue they can fix.

> "Was your 8GB card a SanDisk model? "

I think that question is bogus, mainly for two reasons, one is if a card claims to be made to a standard.. eg SDHC, it should comply to that standard in order to carry the SDHC logo. The same should apply to any hardware that claims to comply to that standard  eg V -Mate.

That is the whole point of standards isn't it?

Secondly at the time of purchase, Sandisk did not make an 8Gb SDHC card, so I bought a card that should be compatable with the V-Mate device. It is the device that is incompatable with the standard, not the card, as far as I can tell, it works perfectly well in another SDHC compatable device.

The card I bought was a Transcend 8Gb SDHC Class6.

> "I'd make sure you were getting your message through to them on this as I find this pretty bad if true."

I phoned them on several occassions to sort this out, and they've done nothing, not even sending me an email to explain their position and what action they are taking.. beyond assuring me they would change their online product description to reflect this anomoly, they haven't.

I like the V-Mate, I want it to work as advertised, nothing less, is that too much to ask?

> "It would be nice for somebody from Sandisk to comment here."

Agreed!!!!!!  Something along the lines of "we've updated the firmware to fix this" would be great!!

Have you tried the latest firmware upgrade?
Highlighted

Hey Al - I asked about the 8GB card from SanDisk becuase I got into a big stink with Kodak recently on their Digital Picture Frame (10 inch, Wireless model). The thing would not play movies correctly from my Canon camera and it was an AVI and Kokdak was supposed to support it but they were nearly telling me it had to be a Kokak camera that produced the AVI as their adherence to standards was apparently not up to par or Canon might have been off but hard to tell. Sandisk support should be able to pop in an 8GB card to test really easily and maybe it's the same problem over different interpretations of a standard. Just trying to help as I know it is frustrating.
Message Edited by KevinsWorld on 02-18-2008 07:04 PM

>Have you tried the latest firmware upgrade?

Yes, probably since it was first available in the vague hope they've fixed it!!, I'm running 02.07ww.b8

>Sandisk support should be able to pop in an 8GB card to test really easily and maybe it's the same problem over different interpretations of a standard. Just trying to help as I know it is frustrating.

They were supposed to have tried it.. when I rang them back to find out how they got on they said the V-Mate will take a 4Gb SDHC card maximum, and after some arguement about their advertising and marketing literature and SDHC compatability, they agreed to include that statement in their literature. It hasn't been changed after several months.

The feeling I get is they simply don't care.. forget them ever getting the V-Mate up to 16Gb SDHC if they can't handle 8Gb!!

Hey Al - I was on the phone with support this morning and in addition to my own problems I ask if the 8GB SDHC card was supported and at first he said it wasn't then I asked why since the literature says it supports SDHC format. He put me on hold and then came back to say it was supported. I referenced your conversation with support and this Forum but he said it is supported. Anyone else try an 8GB card yet?

Support also said you may need to upgrade your firmware... I said you had indicated you did this and it still did not work.
Message Edited by KevinsWorld on 02-21-2008 07:42 AM

@AL wrote:

>Have you tried the latest firmware upgrade?

Yes, probably since it was first available in the vague hope they've fixed it!!, I'm running 02.07ww.b8

I tested my Vmate which I checked and had the 02.07.ww.b8 firmware with an 8GB SanDisk SDHC card and it worked 100% fine. I was able to view and record videos. You might want to try out different SD cards and see if it might be an issue with the Transcend card you purchased. If your still having problems with different cards then it might be an issue specifically with your V-mate and in that case you would want to contact SanDisk technical support with your info.

I hope your right, but I suspect you haven't fully tested the 8Gb card, with mine it seems to have a 4Gb limit, any video recorded under that size will be OK, but if you record over 4Gb the V-Mate will freeze, and even though a video is stored it is actually unviewable. (I tend to record my security camera at 320x240 at 25fps which gives just over 1Gb per hour, so that's four hours recording.)

Also the USB connection which works fine with cards 4Gb and under doesn't work with the 8Gb card, I'm using USB 2.0 and Windows XP Home SP2.

The 8Gb SDHC card works fine with another SDHC device I own.

Please see if you can breach the 4Gb barrier Noe_Boddi? and if you could let me know if your USB works with the 8Gb card loaded?

Thanks

Al

PS..
check out the last post here (post 5) http://communities.sandisk.com/sandisk/board/message?board.id=vmate&thread.id=3

I think it may be a related problem..

just to address if anyone is going to through in a card in the V-Mate bigger than 4 gigabytes. FAT file systems in general can not address files larger the 4 gigabytes (32 bit limit in FAT32). For that you need to use another kind of file system (that the V-mate will have to support). Else keep the files below 4 gigabytes if FAT.

..which is probably why I can't record above 4GB!!

Message Edited by Al on 02-26-2008 01:25 PM