Accepted Solution

V-Mate General Information

SanDisk V-Mate

What does it do...?

Records TV shows--or any video source--to SD, MMC, and Memory Stick flash media; easy to set up; connects to any cable/satellite box, DVR, VCR, or DVD player; recorded files play back on a wide variety of mobile handheld devices, including the PSP, many PDAs, mobile phones, and portable media players; included IR blaster allows you for programmed timer recordings on different channels on many cable and satellite boxes; doubles as a USB memory card reader for PCs.

Manufacturer: SanDisk Corp.
Part number: SDVM1AA30
Users Guide: Click Here

Device Type

• Digital A/V recorder

Key Features

• Memory card reader, Digital video player, Video capture from external source
  • Dimensions: 5.1”(L) x 2.6” (W) x 0.8” (H)
  • Dimensions: 130mm (L) x 66mm (W) x 20mm(H)

PC Interfaces

• USB

Supported Card Formats

• SD, SDHC, miniSD, miniSDHC, microSD microSDHC
  • (RS-)MMC (DV), MMCplus , MMC
  • Memory Stick/PRO/Duo/PRO Duo

Video

• Video Playback Formats: .MP4, .3gp, .3g2
  • Codecs: MPEG-4 Simple Profile, H.263
  • Resolution: Up to 640x480 pixels
  • Frame Rate: Up to 30fps
  • Record: up to 3.5 hours** of high quality video per gigabyte ***
Connectors:
  • 3.5mm input for composite video, audio left & right
  • 3.5mm output for composite video, audio left & right
  • USB mini B
  • IR emitter (connection to set-top box or VCR)
  • Power
Indicators (LED):
  • Power
  • Recording status
  • Card activity (at each card slot)

Miscellaneous

• Included Accessories: Remote control
Minimum System Requirements:
  • TV with RCA composite video (NTSC or PAL) and audio connection
  • Video source with RCA composite video and audio composite connection

* For home and personal use: This product is intended to be used for recording and playback for your home and personal enjoyment. Copying and commercial use of copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner may be prohibited by law. Use of your V-Mate in compliance with all copyright and applicable intellectual property laws remains the responsibility of the user of the product.

** Recording times will vary by target device and video quality level. Recording time is approximately 3.6 hours in a mobile phone (@ bit rate of 544kbps) and 1.8 hours on a notebook computer (@bit rate of 1.056kbps).

*** Note: 1 megabyte (MB) = 1 million bytes; 1 gigabyte (GB) = 1 billion bytes. Some of the listed capacity is used for formatting and other functions, and thus is not available for data storage.

Message Edited by MrSmileyface on 04-01-2008 12:55 PM

Re: V-Mate General Information

Here are some great How-To videos on the V-Mate

http://www.sansacommunity.com/article/11084/More-Great-How-To-Videos/

Scroll to the bottom.

Message Edited by brandonc on 07-27-2008 07:05 PM

again, no mention of maximium sd card capacity handled by V-Mate.  My 8GB Kingston SD card yields about 6.2GB of recorded material - almost exactly 4 hours at PC\640X480 quality (after the firmware update and formatting the card using a sandisk reader OTHER than the V-mate).  Does anyone have an accurate answer about the maximum capacity that the v-mate should be able to handle?

Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing the SanDisk V-Mate to use to record TV programs to play back on a 13" Sony Television.

Input to the Sandisk V-Mate would be through the red, white and yellow RCA analog outputs from my new

Zenith Digital to Analog Converter box.   (Using one of the Audio/Video Cables that come with the SanDisk V-Mate)

Output from the V-Mate would be to the antenna input on the back of the Sony 13", because there are no rca jacks on the back of the TV.

So to get the signal into the TV, could I use this:

Terk mini RF modulator that converts RCA A/V signals to VHF / Perfect for adding a new component if there are no available RCA jacks 

Terk Mini RF Modulator - This RF modulator from Terk lets you add an RCA-compatible Component (like a DVD player or game console) to a television that has no available RCA jacks. The RF modulator converts any RCA A/V signal to VHF, for viewing on a TV on Channel 3 or 4. And unlike other modulators, the Mini from Terk doesn't cause additional clutter. Mount it vertically or let it hang in-line between the cables.

http://www.jr.com/terk/pe/TRK_MINI/

Would this setup work?

Would the quality of the picture on the 13" Sony be acceptable.... as least as good as the signal from a VHS VCR?

Thank you. 

Zenith,

Yes, any rf modulator, which converts composite signals coming into it and outputs an rf signal that is connected via a co-ax cable to your TV's antenna input, should work.

I purchased a V-Mate here: http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=Cooldrives&query=v-mate for only $39.99 - the cheapest price I could find - and have it connected to a 19" LCD HDTV.

Setting the V-Mate to record using the "TV/PC" quality setting, or manually setting it to record 640 X 480 at 30 FPS at Best or Medium quality produces a recording similar to what good VCRs could produce at the (fastest) SP or (medium) LP recording speed/length, respectivley.

So, on a 13" inch TV, you should be able to get good results using the manual recording settings option and set it for 640 X 480 at 30 FPS and the Medium quality settings.  This will enable you to record more material on a given memory card than recording at the Best quality setting would.  At this setting, depending on the video you record, you could probably record between 5 to 7 hours of video on a 4GB card.

Although the various posts here, about the maximum sized memory card accepted by the V-Mate give conflicting information, you would be safe with a 4GB card.  Some cards are ready to use immediately, and others might need to be first formatted (fat32) using your PC first.  Although I've been able to use an 8GB SD card, formatted using a separate sd sdhc-capable card reader on my PC, and the V-Mate will record up to about 6.2 GB of video.  Trying to format the card by using the V-Mate as the card reader - connected to the PC, would only get 4GB (3.6 or so of usable space). 

In any event, be sure to download Sandisk's V-Mate firmware update to improve it's quality before using it.  Get it through their support pages and follow their instructions for installation.

Although it was intended to be used mostly to copy and convert videos for use on cell phones and the psp, at the price I paid for it, I'm happy with using my V-Mate as a type of VCR to record a few shows or movies to watch on my TV.

Hope this helps.  For more information, read all of the posts about the V-Mate here.  It seems Sandisk tech help hasn't been able to answer some of users' questions about this product, and it's been discontinued, I think.

v-mateOhMy,

Thanks for the info.  

I'll give it a try.

While missing from the USA support site I found the following at the Canadian support site: 

20080128 SDVM1 - Recording Format Codes

V-Mate Recording Format Codes For recording compatible files for various Video Playback Devices with V-Mate

(based on Firmware v.02.07.ww.b4 & b8)

""  http://www.sandisk.ca/Assets/File/Downloads/firmware/SDVM1_Recording_Format_Codes.pdf  ""

Geeks.com for $21.99

Found two for 30 dollars each at Gamestop about a year ago. Currently using it as a DVR to record playback from, well, everything-Not only televised programming, but also DVD players, output from my computer, even my PSP. Currently attempting to find the proper code for my LG Lotus, in the hopes I can send vids to my friends via the phone.