Re: V-MATE Remote problem---battery was my problem

I have sent several remote posts in.  I bought a new CR2025 battery at Walmart last night.  MY REMOTE NOW WORKS FROM ACROSS THE ROOM 14 FEET. (my apartment is small)

Problem solved.  My V-mate works as advertised, and I am pleased to have it.

Re: V-MATE Remote problem. PLEASE HELP!!

Ok , now I have an operational remote! I pre set recording times but the V-Mate did not record! Also, I can transfer VHS tapes to a CD/DVD using the V-Mate? I have a desktop with a DVD burner and I have Nero amongst many other burning programs.

Thanks in advance!

Playing back the tapes on your VCR with the A/V composite output and connecting those 3 cables as input to the V-Mate should allow you to create .mp4 files from them w/o problem. 

Copying the mp4 files to your computer should be no problem (unless you have WIN98 SE or earlier, in which case you need to use another computer to copy the mp4 files to a media that your computer can read). 

I don't have experience with software like Nero to know whether it will have a problem reading the mp4 files and creating DVDs.  One thing you might think about is considering that having the content as an mp4 file might be the best storage solution for now rather than DVD.  There are a number of USB Media Players available now (I have first hand experience with the Western Digital TV product), which can play mp4 files (along with many other A/V formats) to your TV including an HDMI cable (don't know if this improves the A/V over the usual Yellow/Red/White A/V composite cables).  Remember that a burned DVD has a limited lifetime, and in any case you may find yourself wanting to copy them to some other media/format sooner then you would like (like your VCR tape situation now).

Just received a V-mate via post to Australia.   Unfortunately, remote doesn't work.  Checked battery voltage of remote battery which was 3.3v so should be ok. 

Checked IR signal from remote - looks about right compared to other remotes, using a CCD camera without IR filter. 

After looking inside IR receiver, the most sensitive area is actually on the end (away from the cable) and not the side.  But still no joy on my unit.

Fitted a temporary circuit to IR receiver (diode) and attached to CRO to check the actual output. The waveform from the remote seems to be very  low in amplitude

in comparison with other remotes and seems to die away after a few cycles.   I would like someone to convince me that the remote is actually the problem ie it's a very common problem.    

I also had similar problem with remote.  Voltage of battery was OK when tested using multimeter but IR signal was weak.  I just replaced the battery with new one and it works well now ! Probably battery was not able to work on load

It is VERY common for the battery to be dead when you get it.  The voltage with no load will be fine, but under load it will be less than a Volt.  Replace the battery and you will be fine.  By the way, you can "force" a CR2032 into the remote if you have one of those lying around.

-JT

Highlighted

jtvmate:  Have you verified that forcing a CR2032 into the V-Mate remote battery caddy designed for a CR2025 causes no damage to the remote (btw the "20" indicates the battery is 20mm in diameter, and the "32" and the "25" indicates the batteries are 3.2mm and 2.5mm in thickness)?  I would suggest that people ignore your suggestion, as the CR2025 is readily available and in my experience lasts a long while -- so why take the risk?

Did you run a test to verify that the voltage under [the remote's] load actually drops to "less than a volt" from more than 3 and even if it does so for one of your batteries (imho doubtful that it would drop that far), how can you conclude that would be "VERY common" (how many V-Mates have you bought [at random?] and tested, and have you done the statistical analysis to draw conclusions about the V-Mate in general)? 

Remember Lithium batteries typically have a long shelf life.  (Although I can't say that I have had a battery problem with any of the multiple V-Mates I have bought, I know enough about statistical sampling to know that I can't draw any valid inference from my experience about the total population of V-Mates.)

My Remote had to be within 1 foot and aimed at the right spot to work. Checked the CR2025 and it checked at over 3Volts.

Replaced with a new one and now the remote works out to at least 10 feet and is not nearly as direction sensitive.

Al