Accepted Solution

V-MATE Remote problem. PLEASE HELP!!

My remote is simply not working. When I turn it on it says to press "OK" to set up the date but nothing happened. I know the remote is not broken because I can see the infra-red light using a digital camera. Does anyone out there know how I could possibly open it up so I could replace the battery or even get a new remote?

Thanks.

Re: V-MATE Remote problem. PLEASE HELP!!

Have you put a memory card into the v-mate?  The V-mate will act as you have described without a memory card.

I had this very same problem out of the box. The unit was shipped with a dead battery. if you look at the bottom of the remote where the Scan Disk logo appears turn over and you will see the battery release the small tap pushes to the inside then slide out, I paid $5.00 at a local Wal-mart store in the jewelry department. the remote now works perfectly from accross the room. I hope this helps if you still can not open I can send pictures of how to open.

Bizzzzzz 

As SanDIskmungo says, you need a card inserted.

Would you say the same applies to a remote that only works about a foot away from the unit? I tested the battery and it seems to be OK.I am worried about other people statements about the quality of the picture! I was hoping this would be a perfect replacement for a VCR! I just got this unit yesterday.

Try wiping clean both the Remote's sending led and the IR receiving lens (within the rightmost inch of the system unit's front).  If that does not seem to help, check the voltage of the remote's CR2032 battery.  If it tests less than 3.20 volts (no load), consider getting a fresh battery that tests higher as that might make a significant difference in the remote's range.  In any case, please post whatever results you found for the benefit of others who may find themselves in your situation.

As a last resort (short of returning the unit), getting a learning remote which can Read/Learn the V-Mate remote's IR control codes should solve the range problem permanently, plus provide you with a alternative to the remote being used until it wears out (i.e. use the learning remote as the normally used remote, and the V-Mate remote just as a backup for reprogramming the learning remote.)  I only know from personal experience one learning remote that can learn all of the V-Mate remote's IR codes, but then I've not been able to try out most remotes.  The Universal RF-10 (often packaged as RFS200) is the only Universal remote that I know will work.  Note that it has the potential advantage of using its RF functionality, which means it can be used even in another room of your house.

Highlighted

Thanks Mike,

I will try your suggestions but I had to point out that the remote uses a 2025 battery not a 2032. I have 2032 batteries but they are just a bit thicker than the 2025 thus making it impossible to slip into the battery tray!

GJ

After waiting a long time i received my SanDisk V-MATE too!

Yesterday I tested it, but the Remote didnt work! After reading some postings in the internet, I ordered some new CR2025 3V batteries ("CR2025 requirement" shown on the backside of the remote)

Afters receiving them today, I tested it again. I think the v-mate should be installed correctly: switching to the right channel the menu is asking me to "Set the Date & Time for V-Mate fo function properly".

A Memory Card is already inserted. Also changed to another one, same problem!

in case of taking the memory card out, "no memory card detected - Insert card" (ok to continue) appears. but the remote won't do anything by clicking on OK or something else in both situations! 

I already tried 3 different NEW batteries but nothing happens! 

any suggestions?

as i readed in the user guide, i wont need the IR emitter with my system?!

just tested it with this one, no improve of the situation...

very disappointing at the moment..

Yes, CR2025 not CR2032 -- my mistake!

Make sure the sending and receiving "lens" are clean and try the remote right up next to the receving lens on the far right.  If it still does not work (and you have placed battery w/ + side down as shown on the battery holder), then one would reasonably conclude that either a) the remote is defective or b) the IR receiver (or some other related component) is defective.  If you could obtain another unit you could determine which it is.  At least you would then know and feel more confident about contacting SanDisk and getting a repacement.