Does this product require a TV monitor for menus and to start recording?

I'm interested in this product but have noticed that it uses the a TV as the video out to setup menus and such.   Does anyone know whether that video out is pretty standard and would plug into the Video in of  portable DVD player for example and allow for setup?  My potential configuration is to use this device to record from an UW video camera and I don't want to run a full fledged TV just to have to start a recording.  What I'm thinking will work is:

1.  I'll do the master setup on a TV.

2.  I'll hookup the video out to the portable DVD player on the boat and then hopefully the menuing will work the same as on a TV... just reduced in size.

3.  I'm also thinking that if I know the key sequence directly on the remote I don't even need the video out monitor to get it started if in fact the device really doesn't care about uthe video out signal.  IT would be nice if they just had a button on the device to "Record Now" at the current settings to bypass all of this.

Now what I really need is a 12V adapter for the device and then I wouod not need an invertor.  I'm thinking this unit does not take much power at all given nothing is spinning but just crunching video data into the data format we select.

Re: Does this product require a TV monitor for menus and to start recording?

I run mine through a USB video capture card on a PC and it works fine, I suspect it would be ok on a portable DVD LCD.

It uses RCA style plugs for the video out and in.

and once you've set-up your prefs for video size etc, you can just hit record on the remote if you leave it in "record now" screen before you unplug it from your TV.

Message Edited by Al on 02-13-2008 09:09 AM

Thanks - I'll soon find out as I went ahead and ordered one ala Amazon.  I was noticing in the online manual there seems to be a model difference in how the 640x480 mode shos the recording on the monitor.  I'm hoping to get the more current one.

I was not happy to see you could not get it to work with an 8GB SDHC card.  I would expect it to for sure.  I'll comment in your other post.

The latest firmware vmate_02.07.ww.b8.zip includes the option to record at 640x480 I assume all V-Mates can upgrade  using that firmware update.

Download it here.. http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1451

I tested my Vmate which I checked and had the 02.07.ww.b8 firmware with an 8GB SanDisk SDHC card and it worked 100% fine. I was able to view and record videos. So the 8GB is supported on the V-mate with the latest firmware.

I've got an application that won't have a monitor available. I need to turn the power on and start recording without a monitor. Are the preferences saved when they're initially set up or do they need to be set up each time the power is cycled. Can I just use the record button on the remote?

I finally answered my own question after using the unit now for a few monts.  You do not need a monitor but you have to have a remote to start it AND you will not have the right time stamps on the file if you don't set them first (with a monitor) as the unit requires you to set that everytime upon startup... which is a pain.  Essentially turn it on... and maybe hit the stop or ok button first and then record button will work and you can see the red LED..... then what I do is hit the stop and then REC button again to restart as it is better to have shorter 20 to 30minute files in case power glitches or you fill your card you won;t lose as much on that file.  The unit really should have a single record button on it to make it easier as the remotes can go bad etc which has been discused already.

Repairing the mp4's is next to impossible from my research.  If anyone knows a good program to do this that would be great.  All I think is needed is to look at the file cutoff the last for video frames and re-write the checksum info as the file is intact but without the right stop data it won't load.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Message Edited by KevinsWorld on 07-15-2008 12:07 PM