"Windows Media Center Receiver Service has stopped working"

I (had) whatever version the firmware updater said was the latest availible from sandisk,which I downloaded both from the sandisk site…firmware updater and the media converter.

I contacted support via sandisk website and they provided me with the following…

Uninstall the Arcsoft Sansa Media Converter and then install the Intervideo Sansa Media Converter instead.

To download the Intervideo Sansa Media Converter, please follow the steps below:

• Go to http://www.sandisk.com/driverdownload/drlogin.asp?driverId=184
  • If you are not yet registered for Download Wizard, click on “Register Now” but you may click on “Skip Registration” to continue
  • Afterwards, click on the blue button to start the download

I installed the new converter and (almost) no problems…Its a little buggy,but I learned its quirks,no more problems with Media Center or my tuner card and it is converting video and pics.

Tried installing smc-4.220.  Didn’t work, still chills the TV recorder tuner under Vista Premium.

Well I have XP and also all the latest rollup updates for Media Center,So it must just be a Vista thing or not having the rollups.

I spoke too soon.After a restart,same problems…had to remove that one as well.

I’m running XP and encountered the same problem.  Removed the converter and the problem went away.  I used Amazon Unbox Video to download two videos.  It appears they both load onto my Sansa View 16GB; however, all I have when I play them is audio.  I can download music files with no problem. 

I tried downloading my own MPEG movie made on my digital camera and that wouldn’t work either.  It showed the movie in the video list but when I tried to play it my player shut off.

My daughter tells me without media converter I can’t put pictures on the player either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do?  I like the MP3 for features such as the FM radio but for this much money I’m beginning to wonder if I should have gotten the iPod instead where video is very easy to load.

This is a MAJOR effing problem.  I tried the alternate Media Converter provided in the link above and that didn’t work either.  Right now I’m left with two options - don’t put video on my e280 or else don’t watch TV.  Neither solution is any good.

I have Vista Utlimate and a couple of weeks ago I started to get the message and my TV tuner would not work. I also started having problems running other programs. I found that it was being shut down by DEP (Data Execution Prevention) which is a feature of Vista. If you go to control panel - system - advanced settings(on the left of the screen). Then under performance click “settings”. The third tab will be Data Execution Prevention. I found a way to turn off this feature. Once I did everything is now working fine.

To turn off this feature go to Accessories and left click on the command prompt. Choose run as administator. You will get a black DOS screen. Type in the following command exactly as below and press enter.

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

You should get a line that says that it ran successfully.

close the window and then reboot your computer. Then go back to the DEP window. It should all be grayed out.

tmkirk,

I am indebted to you. I have downloaded hotfixes from microsoft and drivers from Hauppage, HP, and nVidia trying to solve my problems with windows media center receiver services.

In some Media Center XP computers, installation of DVD codes have resolved the issue. I belive you could try the following:

K Lite

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

And:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d…displaylang=en

For Vista:

Trust me when I say that installing codecs is not the answer.I have 4 PCs,all running a very small,select brew of video/audio codecs/filters.They can all play any common (and not so common pirate origin video and audio).Installing random codec packs will only juck up your system.Unfortunatly,I cannot have the media converter installed on my Media Center PC (where all my media is…duh) because of the conflict.It works fine on my standard XP systems,just makes it a pain in the ass.

Add me to the list of those who have this problem. I have Vista SP1. I spent half a day trying all sorts of things. I went on line with Gateway, the tech told me to go back to a restore point. When I looked at what had been installed lately, the only culprit could be Media Converter. I uninstalled and all was well. I have the latest Media Converter… this is really poor.

Message Edited by leo17434 on 06-28-2008 07:27 PM

I also have issues with SMC shutting down  Windows media center in Vista… So I can only use one or the other and thats not a solution…Do you know if there will be a firmware update in the future for this issue… I have the Fuze 2bg…Thanks for your time, Chris

Well, thank goodness I found this board. I have the same exact problem with the converter. I was getting the same message for Media Center Receiver not working. I uninstalled the Sansa Media Converter on my computer, and now the Media Center is back up and working fine. I called SanDisk tech support, they have no answer on when or even if this problem will be fixed. I bought this as a gift for my wife’s birthday. I guess I will have to see if Best Buy will take it back, since this seems like a lot of money to spend on just an MP3 player. If anyone is reading this before buying one of these, my advice is DO NOT BUY THIS MP3 PLAYER UNTIL SANDISK GETS THIS PROBLEM FIXED.

You should use KeepV Flash Converter and then take the Flash files from the KeepV and put those files into AVS video converter 6 there both free. Once the last program is done open windows explorer and put the converted files into the Sansa.

AVS video converter 6 is free but with restrictions… Their software is telling me to register (BUY) to get rid of the banner that is showing on the converted files…

Oh its a minute long no biggie if it bugs you that much then spend the 29 bucks and fix it. I mean look at it this way at least your issues are solved, no? So a itty bitty banner ain’t a bigge to me. Hell tell’em Sansa sent ya or better yet tell’em I sent ya and see if that gets you a discount…hehehehehhehehehehehe

Oh I didn’t know it was only minute long, that is no biggie…Thanks ! Any special configuration in the software…?? Thanks again

nope I jsut use the to MP4 tab and thats it if it could download youtube vids you wouldn’t need KeepV Flash Converter.Any way your welcome and enjoy those movies now.

Actually the AVS Video Converter 6 did NOT work… I used the default settings in the program and after I converted and let it detect the FUSE 2 GB for the “uploading” , which it does, it says " this type of file is not supported" during th upload…Any Ideas??