03-20-2009 03:35 AM
I have an e280, which has been great except for the upgrading thing. I don't know if there's any real need but it's frustrating that it won't do what it's supposed to. Whether I use the updater or the direct copy method as per your excellent instructions, the thing refuses to update. It's stuck on 01.0.07E and won't accept anything else. I've used 3 different PCs, XP and Vista and all fail in the same way. The screen on the e280 says "Writing" then changes to "Connected" after the transfer but when I disconnect (either correctly from USB or by brute force) it sits there saying "Disconnected" and nothing happens. Eventually I give in and hold the menu button down and start again. It reloads the database but the version is still at 07E. Does anyone have any suggestions please? At least the damned thing still plays music but I'm losing patience.
03-20-2009 03:38 AM
Me again, just realised I put the version incorrectly. It's actually 01.02.07E. And it doesn't have a v1 at the front, I'm guessing that isn't the significant element.
04-18-2009 04:00 PM
Did you install the correct firmware version for you geographical location? There are 6 different versions.
05-01-2009 09:06 AM
Is this firmware update a Good Thing? There were a couple of negative comments but not much other discussion about whether people found the changes, good or bad.
05-01-2009 09:15 AM
Most of the shall we say 'more experienced' users with v1 models here either reverted back to the previous .18 f/w version, or never updated to the .24 in the 1st place.
Does that tell you anything?
05-03-2009 08:59 AM
05-08-2009 10:14 PM
I am a happy user of e280 V1 with version 01.02.15A.
The only nick is that I have some song titles that are in Hebrew, which are looking ok on MS Media Player but spelled backwards on the player i.e. Sansa does not support the right-to-left direction.
I have resrearched this forum and found a lot of info (- Thanks !!!) :
-I understand there will be no fix to that on any official Sansa firmware (since there will not be any), I can choose to move to RockBox firmware. I second all the proposed features in the wishlist thread.
- I do not agree with the comment made of treating the player as as-is. I certainly decided on Sansa versus iPOD for new features support. Whenever you make a decision to buy a gadget you know you are already been left "behind" on the newest trends. I did not expect Apple to try to update older players but I certainly expected Sansa to.
- I understand the popular version is 01.02.18A (I saw a lot of issues posted with version 24A).
- Nice trick with half plugging the USB to get power but not "connected" so the player plays while recharging. Thanks it bothered me to.
- Stupid language support: why would one want to move firmware for other languages ? didn't anyone in Sansa heard about globalization ? lots of people listen to musics in other not-supported languages (Asians and Hebrew) while in the US (do not wish to change the menus language or fm support).
I have several remaining questions:
1. What is the diff from 15A to 18A? - I'm trying to determine is it worth the upgrade hassle.
2. RockBox has nice options for V1s. Can you list them all? - Will that have the additional languages support i was looking for ?
3. I saw some guru comments that there are "issues" with it. Can you be more specific on what these are ? i.e. I'm trying to understand the "price" for the move. I saw the comment about forgoing warranty when switch to RockBox - but what warranty you have on V1 anyhow ?
4. How easy is it to move from RockBox back to Sansa firmware ? I saw a comment that both can reside on the player and can be toggled between. Can you detail how to set that up ?
5. Whom are behind the RockBox version ? Is there any posted plans for the next versions ? Hoe serious this open firmware project is ?