downloading cd's on to a fuze HELP!!

HI

I AM GETTING DESPERATE NOW. ALL I WANT TO DO IS DOWNLOAD MY OLD CD'S ONTO MY FUZE. NOT A DIFFICULT THING TO DO

YOU WOULD THINK? WRONG!!!

I HAVE WASTED SO MUCH TIME TRYING TO DO THIS WITH 3 FUZES! MINE AND MY 2 DAUGHTERS, SOME SONGS PLAY BUT THEN OTHERS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME?

THANK YOU

JAN

You didn’t give any details about what you doing, how, with what program and into what format so I am only guessing here.

Sounds like you might be ‘ripping’ the CD’s into .wma format and the ‘Copy Protect’ option in Windows Media Player is checked. So you are running into DRM (Digital Rights Management) issues when trying to transfer these songs to more than 1 portable player, aloowing some to play where others won’t.

To avoid the DRM crapola and all the resulting headaches, just change your ‘rip’ settings so that you are ripping those CD’s into .mp3 format. Personally, I prefer 256 kbps for higher quality, but you can go down to 128 kbps and fit twice as many songs in the same space. Many people are satisfied with the sound quality of this setting, but you’ll have to make your own decision on that.

Mp3’s are not subject to any DRM-crippling and it is a more universally used & accepted digital audio format, than MicroSoft’s propriatary WMA (Windows Media Audio) format. They claim you can fit higher quality audio files in less space than .mp3, but since it’s their own format, of course they would say that. It’s yet to be proven by anyone but them.

If I haven’t guessed right, please post back and give us more details. We should be able to help you iron things out (as well as make you a hero to your daughters). It’s not astro-physics. :smiley:

You didn’t give any details about what you doing, how, with what program and into what format so I am only guessing here.

Sounds like you might be ‘ripping’ the CD’s into .wma format and the ‘Copy Protect’ option in Windows Media Player is checked. So you are running into DRM (Digital Rights Management) issues when trying to transfer these songs to more than 1 portable player, aloowing some to play where others won’t.

To avoid the DRM crapola and all the resulting headaches, just change your ‘rip’ settings so that you are ripping those CD’s into .mp3 format. Personally, I prefer 256 kbps for higher quality, but you can go down to 128 kbps and fit twice as many songs in the same space. Many people are satisfied with the sound quality of this setting, but you’ll have to make your own decision on that.

Mp3’s are not subject to any DRM-crippling and it is a more universally used & accepted digital audio format, than MicroSoft’s propriatary WMA (Windows Media Audio) format. They claim you can fit higher quality audio files in less space than .mp3, but since it’s their own format, of course they would say that. It’s yet to be proven by anyone but them.

If I haven’t guessed right, please post back and give us more details. We should be able to help you iron things out (as well as make you a hero to your daughters). It’s not astro-physics. :smiley:

One more thing . . . This is the Sansa Media Converter board. While what you are trying to do ‘technically’ falls into that category (converting media), the SMC is only used for converting videos & photos to the proper size & format in order to place them on your Sansa device. Not audio files (music). So discussions in this board should be limited to that program and those tasks.

You are simply trying to rip CD’s into a format and transfer them to your (and your daughters) Fuze. A more appropriate place to post any questions about this would be in the Fuze board. Don’t worry about this thread; the mod will probably move it over to the right baord anyway, but just something to bear in mind for the future. :wink: