Highlighted

Which Sandisk Sansa do I have???

Some time ago - a couple of years, now - my daughter gave me an MP3 player.  The markings are "Sandisk" on the back, and "sansa" on the front.  It has never been updated as far as software is concerned, as far as I know.  The version on th einfo page is V02.03.31A.  I wish to know exactly which unit I have.

The reason is that I have recently gotten a new laptob which is running Windows 7 Professional.  I used to run Windows XP, and under that release my unit showed up with a drive letter, and I could move music, videos, and pictures to it using a nice peice of software called "FileMaven".  FileMaven depends on devices - thumb drives, etc. showing up in the drive table.  My unit, as I said, doesn't show up in Win7.

This leaves me hanging: Windows Explorer for Win 7 doesn't work very well with the Sansa.

Maybe I need to upgrade the firmware in my "sansa".  Maybe I need the details of some way of making the sansa show up in the drive table: the "obvious" method doesn't work...  Maybe I need a different piece of software to move things to - and from - my sansa.

Can someone out there help me?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Which Sandisk Sansa do I have???

According to the firmware version you listed you should have a Fuze (original). Does it look like this?

Note yours may be in a different color.

Highlighted

Yes, it does,  I assume then that my ORIGINAL FUSE is thoroughly obsolete, and there is little or nothing I can do to update the firmware so that it will look like a disk drive to Windows 7?  Once it shows up in the drive table (as it did in Windows XP) moving stuff to (and from) it is a lead pipe cinch.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Drive letter means MSC mode. Both windows 7 and the fuze support this. Are you sure you have it enabled under settings? The fuze can also use MTP more where it will not have a drive letter.