Sansa Media Converter: Download Details and Release Notes

Welcome to the house of fun…:robotmad:

Would anyone be interested to try portable SMC 4.236? Only tested with my Fuze. I could not make any other encoding utility produce video acceptable by this player. (Super, Handbrake, AGK, AnyVideo free, Arcsoft 2.5 and River Past) 

The benefit of using the portable version would be:

- no changes to your registry/system folder

- no need to install/uninstall. Just run the app. 

- probably, will not interfere with other apps as opposed to the official install.

single file ~30 meg. Disclaimer: By downloading this file I should not be held responsible in any way for any damage to your pc. http://rapidshare.com/files/159742099/Sansa_Media_Converter.exe.html (Valid for 90 days / 10 downloads)

If site admins disapprove this download, please remove the link to rapidshare  

alex

sansa media converter is a crappy program when i open it to convert my video it closes out the program… i got one video to my sansa fuze… i have tried to reinstall the program and it does the same thing…anybody know another program i can use to put videos on my fuze mp3 player.

Are you using the latest version? See http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=smc&thread.id=1133

Hi MrSmileyFace…

I downloaded the newest version of the Sansa Media Converter and tried to install it. Guess what? The installer thingy tells me I don’t have enough room on c:/ to extract the program, I need to remove 105 mb to extract please try agin. Well I have 26 gb on c:/ drive. I think that is more than 105 mb needed to extract the file…any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated…

Thank You,

sleepythumper

I have a mac. Is there a version of the SMC for macs or another solution to get videos converted and to the player?

Thanks 

can anyone reup the Portable version of SMC? thanks in advance.

Is this thing free

I’m trying to do the same thing.

Sansa site gives specs for an .avi encapsulated MP4 video file as the native format for the player.  I created such files on my Mac for testing with my Fuze 4gig, but they would not play.  Funny thing is, I looked at the video folder on my Fuze while connected to my iMac and the video file that comes with the Fuze was not visible.  Therefore, I cannot examine the actual video file playing on the Fuze in order to duplicate its encoding.

I was hoping that the specified type of video file would play on the fuze if I simply dragged and dropped it into the Fuze’s video folder.  Fuze recognizes the files in its video folder, but will not play them, indicating “incorrect format” .

I am able to drag and drop audio files and .jpg picture files straight into the Fuze and they play/view without a hitch -  without the use of the Sansa Media Converter, thank you very much.  I, too, seek a way to prepare the ‘right’ type of video files on my Mac, then simply drop them into the Fuze, but at this time my efforts remain unsuccessful.

Please share any information you think is useful, thanks! 

Portable SMC version 4.256 on rapidshare ~30mb.

@tigerabbit wrote:

I’m trying to do the same thing.

Sansa site gives specs for an .avi encapsulated MP4 video file as the native format for the player.  I created such files on my Mac for testing with my Fuze 4gig, but they would not play.  Funny thing is, I looked at the video folder on my Fuze while connected to my iMac and the video file that comes with the Fuze was not visible.  Therefore, I cannot examine the actual video file playing on the Fuze in order to duplicate its encoding.

I was hoping that the specified type of video file would play on the fuze if I simply dragged and dropped it into the Fuze’s video folder.  Fuze recognizes the files in its video folder, but will not play them, indicating “incorrect format” .

I am able to drag and drop audio files and .jpg picture files straight into the Fuze and they play/view without a hitch -  without the use of the Sansa Media Converter, thank you very much.  I, too, seek a way to prepare the ‘right’ type of video files on my Mac, then simply drop them into the Fuze, but at this time my efforts remain unsuccessful.

Please share any information you think is useful, thanks! 

Common problem. Switch to AVC, and stop using the SMC.

Thanks for your response.  By AVC, I guess you mean “Any Video Converter” for Mac.  

I was excited when I visited the AVC website that it described the method for making a custom .avi for use, specifically, on the Sansa Fuze.  I installed the “free” mac version of AVC and converted a 2 minute clip to .avi using those instructions.  I was careful to check the specs (proper container, codec, size, and frame rate), but the resulting file still shows on the Fuze as “incorrect format”.  

I have a feeling that a successful conversion on the mac is do-able, perhaps you have been successful with it, but I still cannot generate video files that the Sansa Fuze will play.  Any further help you can give is greatly appreciated.  I will continue to experiment, and if successful I’ll gladly post instructions here.  So far, though, it looks pretty bleak.

Thanks a bunch! 

I am  running into some of the same things posted here.  

1.  I can’t get the movie “trim” feature to work on SMC.  It will edit the movie, but I can’t get it to save or to move to the Fuse. I would like to edit some music videos, but the instructions don’t work.  I downloaded a YouTube video, used SMC to edit it shorter, converted it and it won’t complete the edit…it just hangs and I have to close it.

2.  I was running version 1.0B004.256CDG   1998-2007 Invervideo.  I uninstalled it and downloaded the version mentioned in this post…it is the same version.  I used the links in this post, but can’t get V 4.256 loaded.  I also got the error about not having enough room to open the program.  I had to uninstall my current SMC in order to open the new one (almost like it wouldn’t overwrite it).

3.  I downloaded Quicktime 7 to make sure the codec’s are correct.

I have also downloaded various similar “free” programs to try and the aren’t much better.  Some of these lock up.  Isn’t there one great all in one program similar to SMC that will allow working with all types of media and file types not only to edit music but video’s as well?

e-mail me & I will fix you up right away… there converter sux I got what you need & all the naswers…

icecap_007@yahoo.com anyone with a problem feel free I have had about 12 of the **bleep** things & I **bleep**ed them all up & messed them all around took back to w-mart with out problems… I know everything there is to know about them I am a walking talking SANSA guide… I

Just E-MAIL me icecap_007@yahoo.com**… I have had about 12 of the **bleep** things… I have all the tools you need easy to msn the tools you want & help you get the **bleep** thing working properly… I am a walking talking SANSA guide… Mind you I love them but I keep talking them back so I can get them cheap about every 30 days I been talking them back…**

I have had almost every mp3 walkman that you can have & I keep on coming back to SANSA… I have a 8gig’er now just got it for $79.00 CRAPMART… :cry: them…

H8 IPOD 

H8 SONY WALKMAN

ZENE OR ZONE MICROSOFT ■■■■

COBY ■■■■

PHIP’S SUX

THAT LITTLE BLACK :angry:ZEND WITH THE BOXED BOTTONS THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE…

SANSA HAS WIEGHT & A NICE SMOOTH BOTTON FUNCTION SUFFLE WORKS GREAT VIDEO IS GREAT MICRO-CARD WORKD JUST AS GOOD TO ADD MORE STUFF TO YOUR PLAYER 1 OUT OF 10 9 1/2 *********1/2 STARS.  LOVE THE RADIO DON’T HAVE TO BUY 1 I-■■■■ YOU DO… LOVE THE RADIO WHEN FISHING LISTEN TO BASEBALL GAMES…

1 DOWNFALL THINK I CAN FIND A :dizzy_face:CARRYING CASE FOR IT NOPE NOTA NEVER… MADE MY OWN… DOLLOR STORE & GOT A CELL HPONE CASE & CUT IT UP WORKS GREAT…  

CHEERS TO ALL YOU SANSA FREAKS

:smileyvery-happy:

Indeed, watch the language folks. 

Message Edited by microsansa on 04-16-2009 07:41 AM

Easy there Buckwheat! Please try to curb your enthusiasm.

We try to maintain a G rating here. Kids (of all ages) are watching. :wink:

And just a tip . . . There are ‘spam-bots’ that troll the forums just looking for e-mail addresses to add to their ever-growing list of victims. You might want to edit your post & remove yours.

Oh yeah, and you might want to try clicking the ‘Check Spelling’ button occasionally too.

You I understand your concern TAPEWORM that’s why I have a yahoo e-mail account. I watch check it every day. If they have spam bots then they should fix it. If people want to learn the proper way to convert then I am sure they will e-mail me. I have gotten over 20 replies to it & I have sent them a very easy step by step method to convert. I am to the point & it’s very easy. Tutorial I walk them thought.  ** Now G rated forum hmm that’s a first. Here you are using the name {{{Buckwheat}}} that was the name of the little colored kids name on the Little Rascals. So maybe you should consider using another name other then {{{Buckwheat}}} practice what you preach &, it makes no sense @ all. Try my screen name instead of you calling me a little colored kid. The name you’re using to try to sound cool is not cool @ all. So as you say watch what you’re saying because there are kids reading this. ****   I have been doing this stuff for over 20 years. I am sure the 16 to 70 yrs old have heard or seen a lot worse & use a lot worse language then what I have posted.  If they are younger then that they shouldn’t be on here any way. This is not a kid younger then that should be doing any ways. I have a son & if he needs something like this I would be right behind him watching every move he makes.   Parents with no morels & not watching there kids to see what they are doing on the internet should not have a computer in the house #1. ****     So if anyone else has this big problem with converting videos to your SANSA. Very easy just e-mail me @ icecap_007@yahoo.com that is an underscore between cap_007 so it looks like this icecap_007 very simple.  It’s a very easy tutorial to follow. I don’t send attachments with the e-mail it’s just a very simple read me & where & what to do.**

ICECAP007 -

If you really have experience with these things for over 20 years (even though the Sansa line is much, much younger than that), and truly are a ’ walking talking SANSA guide’, this is the place to share and post this knowledge. I do have to wonder though, how it is you’re just now getting around to joining and ‘contributing’ to this forum if you’re so ‘experienced’ with SanDisk products?

Requesting that people e-mail you for the answers and a step-by-step tutorial and repeatedly posting your e-mail address suggests that you yourself might be collecting e-mail addresses from others for future spamming intentions, or worse. I don’t have the exact figures handy, but I feel safe is saying that over 75% of computer viruses are send through e-mail. Better just to post that information here, where it will help many, many more people than the few that are willing to risk e-mailing you to get it. If yours is indeed a ‘magic pill’ or ‘silver bullet’, then those who try it will respond and atest to your wisdom and ‘expertise’.

The name ‘Buckwheat’ was not intended as derogatory. You are merely grasping at straws to find fault with my response to you. I could have called you ‘Dude’ or Buddy’, or ‘Clyde’ and you could have & probably would have found fault with any of those references. So chill out & don’t even try to play the race card with me!

The thinly-veiled (through creative use of punctuation characters) curse words in your first posts and the fact that several were caught by the forum’s smut-filter and replaced with **bleep** suggests that you were unaware of the protocol and ‘tone’ of this forum. As you were a new member, I was merely suggesting you tone it down, before someone complains to a mod or admin. and you get formally warned, or even banned. And this is not the place to have a debate on parental control, whether or not people of whatever age has, or has not, been exposed to words that may, or may not, be deemed obscene, or free-speech issues. We, as a community would just prefer you to exercise a bit more discretion and good judgment.

And the fact that you proclaim yourself to be an ‘expert’? Well, that may be true; I don’t know you but normally one that good does not have to advertise or brag about the fact, or use bold typeface in their entire posting to try and draw attention to it.

ICECAP007 -

If you really have experience with these things for over 20 years (even though the Sansa line is much, much younger than that), and truly are a ’ walking talking SANSA guide’, this is the place to share and post this knowledge. I do have to wonder though, how it is you’re just now getting around to joining and ‘contributing’ to this forum if you’re so ‘experienced’ with SanDisk products?

Requesting that people e-mail you for the answers and a step-by-step tutorial and repeatedly posting your e-mail address suggests that you yourself might be collecting e-mail addresses from others for future spamming intentions, or worse. I don’t have the exact figures handy, but I feel safe is saying that over 75% of computer viruses are send through e-mail. Better just to post that information here, where it will help many, many more people than the few that are willing to risk e-mailing you to get it. If yours is indeed a ‘magic pill’ or ‘silver bullet’, then those who try it will respond and atest to your wisdom and ‘expertise’. You can always use the ‘Private Message’ feature here as well. This would be much safer for all concerned, rather than e-mail.

The name ‘Buckwheat’ was not intended as derogatory. You are merely grasping at straws to find fault with my response to you. I could have called you ‘Dude’ or Buddy’, or ‘Clyde’ and you could have & probably would have found fault with any of those references. So chill out & don’t even try to play the race card with me!

The thinly-veiled (through creative use of punctuation characters) curse words in your first posts and the fact that several were caught by the forum’s smut-filter and replaced with **bleep** suggests that you were unaware of the protocol and ‘tone’ of this forum. As you were a new member, I was merely suggesting you tone it down, before someone complains to a mod or admin. and you get formally warned, or even banned. And this is not the place to have a debate on parental control, whether or not people of whatever age has, or has not, been exposed to words that may, or may not, be deemed obscene, or free-speech issues. We, as a community would just prefer you to exercise a bit more discretion and good judgment.

And the fact that you proclaim yourself to be an ‘expert’? Well, that may be true; I don’t know you but normally one that good does not have to advertise or brag about the fact, or use bold typeface in their entire posting to try and draw attention to it.

ICECAP007 -

If you really have experience with these things for over 20 years (although I can’t see how, as the Sansa line is much, much younger than that), and truly are a ’ walking, talking SANSA guide’, this is the place to share and post this knowledge. I do have to wonder though, how it is you’re just now getting around to joining and ‘contributing’ to this forum if you’re so ‘experienced’ with SanDisk products?

I was simply offering you some advice on avoiding being spammed to death when I suggested removing your e-mail address from the public forum. If you don’t think you’ll have a problem; fine, don’t do it. It’s no skin off my nose. 

Requesting that people e-mail you though, for the answers and a step-by-step tutorial and repeatedly posting your e-mail address publicly suggests that you yourself might be collecting e-mail addresses from others for future spamming intentions, or worse. I don’t have the exact figures handy, but I feel safe is saying that over 75% of computer viruses are send through e-mail. Better just to post that information here, where it will help many, many more people than the few that are willing to risk e-mailing you to get it. If yours is indeed a ‘magic pill’ or ‘silver bullet’, then those who try it will respond and attest to your wisdom and ‘expertise’. You can always use the ‘Private Message’ feature here as well. This would be much safer for all concerned, rather than e-mail. But there really is no reason to keep it secret.

The name ‘Buckwheat’ was not intended as derogatory. And it in no way compares to the ‘verbage’ you were attempting to use. You are merely grasping at straws to find fault with my response to you. I could have called you ‘Dude’ or Buddy’, or ‘Clyde’ and you could have found fault with any of those references. So chill out & don’t even try to play the race card with me!

In case you haven’t seen it, from the Forum Rules & Guidelines:

• Profanity will not be tolerated.  First offense will result in a warning and a second offense will result in a ban from the forum.
  • No spamming. 

And the fact that you proclaim yourself to be an ‘expert’? Well, that may be true; I don’t know you but normally one that good or talented does not have to advertise or brag about the fact, or use bold typeface in their entire posting in a feeble attempt to draw attention to it.

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 04-05-2009 05:34 PM