Sansa Firmware Thread

@dearpeter wrote:

This is ridiculous. I have a Sansa e250 that was given to me.

• Good for you. That’s an awesome gift.
  • My XP system won’t recognize it, so I can’t use the firmware updater software. 
  • If it was given to you, it likely already has the latest firmware so there’s no need to use the Updater. Even if you need to update the firmware, there won’t be any more updates, so installing the Updater is a waste of time. Just follow the manual installation directions in the firmware post.
  • Switch to MSC mode in Settings > USB Mode for easier connecting with your computer.
  • Your own site says e250 doesn’t exist.
  • Really? Where does it say this? The e250 is one of several memory sizes in the e200 ‘family’ (or series) of players. There’s the e250 (2GB), the e260 (4GB), the e270 (6GB) and the e280 (8GB).
  • This thread tells me to check the version in the settings to see if it says V01 or V02
  • V1 or v2 refers to the hardware version of the player.
  • It says neither - It says 01.00.15P - there is no V.
  • You have a v1 model. The ‘P’ indicates Pacific region (as in Asia). ‘A’ is for America, ‘E’ is for Europe w/o FM and ‘F’ is for Europe w/FM capability. And yes, the .15 firmware is old; you should update it.
  • Maybe I should assume it’s ver.1 but your scary warnings make me hesitate on that!
  • You’re right, one should never assume, but according to the firmware version you listed, you have a v1 model.
  • And how do I know if it came from Europe, America, Pacific or whatever?
  • There are different firmware versions for the different geographical locations for language, FM radio settings, etc. Choose the firmware version download appropriate for where you live. All the players are made in China.

What’s your advice now?

• Chill. Don’t be so tense. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, I think a portable media play should just plug in to USB and simply work. Why all the unnecessary complications?

If you want that, you can certainly spend mega-bucks and get an iPod that doesn’t have half the features nor expandable memory capabilities, and has poorer sound quality. Really, these things aren’t that complicated. Don’t look for problems that aren’t there.

First thing you should do, if you haven’t already is read the User’s Guide. It will answer many of your questions. For those it doesn’t, just ask. That’s what we’re here for. :wink: