Firmware Updater failed to update - new, but apparently 2-1/2 year OLD STOCK e260

Thank you for sharing your perspective and experience with Rockbox with me, Tapeworm.  :slight_smile:

When you say, " . . . next to the OF and the player can be booted in either firmware at will."  I trust this means my will and not the players.  :wink:

> The way you speak, I doubt that you would have any troubles along those lines though.

Thank you, Tapeworm, that is very kind of you to say. 

I have not spent much time at the Rockbox website, but I did glance over a page or two and recall some boasting about improved the audio quality.

Let me see if I can find a direct quote - one a momento pleez. . . Ah, yes, there it is - ** www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox - “Another top priority of Rockbox is audio playback quality. Rockbox, for most models, includes a wider range of sound settings than that device’s original firmware.” **

I also understand that Rockbox supports games, applications and graphical demos.  I have absolutely ZERO INTEREST in any of these plug-ins.  ZIPPO!!

My only interest in Rockbox regards what it what offers with respect to enhancing the audio quality of my Sansa e260 v1 player.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Then again, the voice option looks interesting - but, I suspect, it is equally problematic.

> Some people have had problems with the v1 firmware update 01.02.24 and have actually reverted back to the previous version 01.02.18, a more stable release.

Interesting.  The initial firmware is still on my e260 v1, version 01.02.15

Given your experience and obvious expertise, I would love to get my e-hands on version 01.02.18 but do not know where to look.  Any suggestions?  :slight_smile:

Its easy to appreciate your respect for ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.’  For me, a somewhat relentless performance junkie, after a tire kick or two, I always have to give new releases and updates a spin around the block.  Of course, its always nice to have an opportunity to revert back to the previous (stable) release.  Though, in my experience, that is not always possible.  I never try BETA or RC software, firmware, etc.  I always wait for the STABLE releases. 

Well, that is enough for me for today.

Thanks again for your time and support, Tapeworm. 

Best regards,

CurlySue

P.S.  I am please to report Newegg effected a modest credit as compensation for the various issues associated with the Sansa e260 they sold me.  Anyone could have earned more by working part-time as a French fry cook at McDonald’s, but - as you said -  I am happy with the result. :slight_smile:

Message Edited by CurlySue on 02-28-2009 01:15 AM