Firmware Updater failed to update - new, but apparently 2-1/2 year OLD STOCK e260

First, I do not believe that I am connected to the Internet via a proxy server, therefore I doubt that there should be any concern regarding my ISP connection communications with a “the back-end” server and therefore this issue may be ruled out.  In addition, my firewall is configured for “Universal firmware updater for Sandisk Sansa MP3 player” so I believe that may be ruled out as well. 

Unfortunately, I have discovered several issues associated with my new E260 - after less than 24 hours in my possession - that may be effecting the Firmware Updater as follows . . .

I believe the E260 that I purchased from Newegg, for $42 (with free shipping) last week, is OLD STOCK and it may be almost 2-1/2 years old. 

Newegg advertised this player as a RETAIL product, but it did not come in retail packaging.  The contents were in a plain white box and did not include an Installation CD, Quick Start Guide and Travel Pouch. 

Furthermore, the back of the player was full of fingerprints which, to me, suggests that it was either MODIFIED, RECERTIFIED, REFURBISHED, RETURNED, USED or any other similar description.  Whatever the description, I believe that I did not receive a NEW, FIRST-CLASS PRODUCT.  That being said, I trust Newegg will resolve this issue quickly, or provide some form of compensation as a remedy. 

Please excuse my momentary rant and digression.  Back to the E260 . . .

According to the one Sansa file, this E260’s Version Info includes:

Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-02.15-S301.02.15A-D
Base Code: 05.51-S301-02.15-S301.02.15A-D
ODM Ver.: S301-02.15-S301.02.15A-D
OEM Ver.: S301.02.15A-D
Build Type: -D
Build Date: 2006.11.03
Build Number: (Build 32.10) 

In addition, according to the Sandisk Sansa Firmware Updater . . .

Sansa E260
Capacity: 4.0 GB
Version: 1.02.15

. . . the latest available firmware update is version 1.02.24 dated 04/10/2008 at 8.0 MB. 

Unfortunately, after two (2) attempts, reaching over 90% both times, the Sandisk Sansa Firmware Updater failed to update my E260.

Since this E260 does not have a V2 in the lower right-hand corner, and given the Build Date: 2006.11.03 (noted above), it is abundantly clear that Newegg sold me a Sandisk Sansa E260 player that may be close to 2-1/2 years old.  This, of course, assumes that the V2 and V3 are newer releases of the same player.  That being said, I also understand that I cannot install the current e200v2 03.01.16 firmware.

Does anyone have any thoughts why the Sandisk Sansa Firmware Updater failed to update, or suggestions regarding how to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

CurlySue

Message Edited by CurlySue on 02-28-2009 12:24 AM

This may be a too simplistic an answer or suggestion, but why don’t you just manually install the firmware update? There will be no further updates from SanDisk on this model so installing the Updater for just this one time seems a bit silly. Plus the fact that the Updater slows your system down considerably and attempts to find an update every time you plug your player into your computer, whether it be to add or delete songs, etc. or merely to re-charge; and since it will never find one basically amounts to ‘nag-ware’.

Your other concerns (whether Newegg sold you a new or re-furbed unit, etc.) and your options boil down to this. Do you like the unit and/or want it? If so, install the update (manually) and enjoy the player. If not, return it, get your money back, buy a different one, enjoy that and get on with your life.

Don’t worry . . . Be happy! :smiley:

Thank you for your reply, Tapeworm. 
I agree on downloading the firmware update, and, prior to your post, I already did.

Regarding Newegg, since I chose not to share the full details associated with every problem and or issue that I have encountered, I cannot expect you to fully understand. Therefore, as I said in my post, I trust Newegg will resolve this issue quickly, or provide some form of compensation as a remedy. 

On firmware, do you have any perspectives that you would like to share regarding Rockbox 3.1 [released on December 23, 2008] as an alternative to the antiquated 1.02.24 Sansa update released in April 2008? 

Thanks again for your suggestions and perspectives.

Sincerely,

CurlySue :slight_smile:

Message Edited by CurlySue on 02-27-2009 12:08 AM

I have Rockbox on one of my v1 players. The 3.1 release adds a couple nice features to the already existing platform (like back-light fade-in & fade-out), but no major changes over 3.0.

You cannot view it as a replacement to the Sansa firmware though, as it is not. It is an ‘alternative’ and a ‘dual-boot’ system meaning it resides next to the OF and the player can be booted in either firmware at will. You still need the OF for certain functions so it cannot be eliminated.

Some like RB. Others don’t. True, it adds a multitude of features and functions left out of the original Sansa design, but it is not the ‘be all, end all’ firmware solution and can be tricky to install and navigate for some with the sheer volume of settings and adjustments one can make with it. The way you speak, I doubt that you would have any troubles along those lines though.

Some people have had problems with the v1 firmware update 01.02.24 and have actually reverted back to the previous version 01.02.18, a more stable release. Personaly, I never updated to it in the 1st place. I had no problems with the .18 version (still don’t) and have always adopted a ‘wait-and-see’ attitude when it comes to any soft or firmware updates. ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ is a credo I have respect for.

Here are a number of discussions on the subject:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/search?submitted=true&type=message&sort_by=score&advanced=true&q=01.02.18+firmware&phrase=&one_or_more=&without=&f=subject&f=body&f=attach&page_size=10&author=&=&ratingstart=&ratingend=

Good Luck with your decisions. :smiley:

I have Rockbox on one of my v1 players. The 3.1 release adds a couple nice features to the already existing platform (like back-light fade-in & fade-out), but no major changes over 3.0.

You cannot view it as a replacement to the Sansa firmware though, as it is not. It is an ‘alternative’ and a ‘dual-boot’ system meaning it resides next to the OF and the player can be booted in either firmware at will. You still need the OF for certain functions so it cannot be eliminated.

Some like RB. Others don’t. True, it adds a multitude of features and functions left out of the original Sansa design, but it is not the ‘be all, end all’ firmware solution and can be tricky to install and navigate for some with the sheer volume of settings and adjustments one can make with it. The way you speak, I doubt that you would have any troubles along those lines though.

Some people have had problems with the v1 firmware update 01.02.24 and have actually reverted back to the previous version 01.02.18, a more stable release. Personaly, I never updated to it in the 1st place. I had no problems with the .18 version (still don’t) and have always adopted a ‘wait-and-see’ attitude when it comes to any soft or firmware updates. ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ is a credo I have respect for.

Here are a number of discussions on the subject. Good Luck with your decisions. :smiley:

Thank you for sharing your perspective and experience with Rockbox with me, Tapeworm.  :slight_smile:

When you say, " . . . next to the OF and the player can be booted in either firmware at will."  I trust this means my will and not the players.  :wink:

> The way you speak, I doubt that you would have any troubles along those lines though.

Thank you, Tapeworm, that is very kind of you to say. 

I have not spent much time at the Rockbox website, but I did glance over a page or two and recall some boasting about improved the audio quality.

Let me see if I can find a direct quote - one a momento pleez. . . Ah, yes, there it is - ** www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox - “Another top priority of Rockbox is audio playback quality. Rockbox, for most models, includes a wider range of sound settings than that device’s original firmware.” **

I also understand that Rockbox supports games, applications and graphical demos.  I have absolutely ZERO INTEREST in any of these plug-ins.  ZIPPO!!

My only interest in Rockbox regards what it what offers with respect to enhancing the audio quality of my Sansa e260 v1 player.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Then again, the voice option looks interesting - but, I suspect, it is equally problematic.

> Some people have had problems with the v1 firmware update 01.02.24 and have actually reverted back to the previous version 01.02.18, a more stable release.

Interesting.  The initial firmware is still on my e260 v1, version 01.02.15

Given your experience and obvious expertise, I would love to get my e-hands on version 01.02.18 but do not know where to look.  Any suggestions?  :slight_smile:

Its easy to appreciate your respect for ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.’  For me, a somewhat relentless performance junkie, after a tire kick or two, I always have to give new releases and updates a spin around the block.  Of course, its always nice to have an opportunity to revert back to the previous (stable) release.  Though, in my experience, that is not always possible.  I never try BETA or RC software, firmware, etc.  I always wait for the STABLE releases. 

Well, that is enough for me for today.

Thanks again for your time and support, Tapeworm. 

Best regards,

CurlySue

P.S.  I am please to report Newegg effected a modest credit as compensation for the various issues associated with the Sansa e260 they sold me.  Anyone could have earned more by working part-time as a French fry cook at McDonald’s, but - as you said -  I am happy with the result. :slight_smile:

Message Edited by CurlySue on 02-28-2009 01:15 AM

@curlysue wrote:

When you say, " . . . next to the OF and the player can be booted in either firmware at will."  I trust this means my will and not the players.  :wink:

Yes. With the normal installation, when the power button is pressed the unit will boot into the RB firmware. If you plug your player into your computer while RB is running, it will switch over to the OF for charging and adding or deleting content (this is 2 of the things you still need the OF for as RB doesn’t support the USB connection, but they’re getting close).

If you want to boot into the Sansa OF, simply press & hold the REW |<< button just after you press the power button, this will launch the original firmware. There is also a ‘reverse boot-loader’ that will (what else ?) reverse this process, so it boots to to the OF by default.

@curlysue wrote:

I have not spent much time at the Rockbox website, but I did glance over a page or two and recall some boasting about improved the audio quality.

Let me see if I can find a direct quote - one a momento pleez. . . Ah, yes, there it is - ** www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox - “Another top priority of Rockbox is audio playback quality. Rockbox, for most models, includes a wider range of sound settings than that device’s original firmware.” **

While RB does have a number of enhancements & options regarding this, do not confuse ‘audio playback quality’ with ‘sound quality’. RB allows you to ‘manipulate’ playback settings 'till the cows come home, but one cannot enhance or make better something that isn’t there to begin with. You can certainly ‘pimp out’ a Prius, but it ain’t ever gonna be no Cadillac. They (Rockbox developers) can only work with what they’ve got in the v1 hardware.

The v2 has better sound quality than the v1 thanks to it’s AMS processor chip. This & it’s acompanying hardware is what also allows use of the larger SDHC memory cards (currently up to 16GB) where the v1 does not support them (only SD, up to 2GB). This is probably the biggest single reason people decide to install RB on their v1 devices as RB supports this newer format so the larger cards can be used with the older players.

When the v2 nut is cracked by the folks at Rockbox, the multitude of playback & sound settings paired with the native higher quality sound is going to make an awesome-sounding device.

@curlysue wrote:

Interesting.  The initial firmware is still on my e260 v1, version 01.02.15

Given your experience and obvious expertise, I would love to get my e-hands on version 01.02.18 but do not know where to look.  Any suggestions?  :slight_smile:

Ask & ye shall receive . . .

01.02.18 firmware

@curlysue wrote:

P.S.  I am please to report Newegg effected a modest credit as compensation for the various issues associated with the Sansa e260 they sold me.  Anyone could have earned more by working part-time as a French fry cook at McDonald’s, but - as you said -  I am happy with the result. :slight_smile:

It’s always nice to hear a happy ending to a story. That is, after all the bottom line, isn’t it? :wink:

Yes. With the normal installation, when the power button is pressed the unit will boot into the RB firmware. If you plug your player into your computer while RB is running, it will switch over to the OF for charging and adding or deleting content (this is 2 of the things you still need the OF for as RB doesn’t support the USB connection, but they’re getting close).

Understood. 

If you want to boot into the Sansa OF, simply press & hold the REW |<< button just after you press the power button, this will launch the original firmware. There is also a ‘reverse boot-loader’ that will (what else ?) reverse this process, so it boots to to the OF by default.

Again, understood.  Thank you.  :slight_smile:

While RB does have a number of enhancements & options regarding this, do not confuse ‘audio playback quality’ with ‘sound quality’. RB allows you to ‘manipulate’ playback settings 'till the cows come home, but one cannot enhance or make better something that isn’t there to begin with. You can certainly ‘pimp out’ a Prius, but it ain’t ever gonna be no Cadillac. They (Rockbox developers) can only work with what they’ve got in the v1 hardware.

Agreed. 

The v2 has better sound quality than the v1 thanks to it’s AMS processor chip. This & it’s acompanying hardware is what also allows use of the larger SDHC memory cards (currently up to 16GB) where the v1 does not support them (only SD, up to 2GB). This is probably the biggest single reason people decide to install RB on their v1 devices as RB supports this newer format so the larger cards can be used with the older players.

Given my experience, this is the primary reason, I believe, Newegg misrepresents (or intentionally represents) its Sansa e260 players on their website.  I recognize that Newegg is not alone in this regard, that many online retailer choose to deceive buyers by not disclosing exactly what they are selling.  However, if every time a consumer orders a product from a well-respected online retailer, perhaps Newegg, expecting to receive the latest and greatest product, but instead receives new OLD STOCK (a Sansa e260 v1 perhaps), and, if disappointed, accepts an RMA for a refund instead of doing whatever they can to hold the retailer accountable, then online retailers, like Newegg, will continue to employ advertising and marketing strategies that DEFRAUD, in my opinion, a significatn percentage of consumers. 

When the v2 nut is cracked by the folks at Rockbox, the multitude of playback & sound settings paired with the native higher quality sound is going to make an awesome-sounding device.

Like you, and many others, I am looking forward to the day. :smiley:

Ask & ye shall receive . . . 01.02.18 firmware

WOO HOO!  YIPPEE!!  EXCELLENT!!!  Thank you so very, very much, Tapeworm!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

It’s always nice to hear a happy ending to a story. That is, after all the bottom line, isn’t it? :wink:

As a business owner, I say what I do and do what I say, and I expect the same from others - Newegg or any retailer (online or on the street).  As a cautious consumer, I typically ask questions up front, prior to purchasing.  In this case, I did just that and, after the fact, was not pleased with the result.  Today, I consider a $22 Sansa e260 v1 a decent purchase even if it is new OLD STOCK.  With the savings, I will be purchasing a new Sansa e260 v2 from another online retailer - I can only hope they do as they say. 

Thanks again, Tapeworm!!

Best regards,

CurlySue

P.S.  I finally recognized the “Solution?” icon was active and upon clicking it, I see the result.  I hope you get a few GOLD STARS from Sandisk, Tapeworm, because you certainly deserve their BEST!

Message Edited by CurlySue on 03-02-2009 12:00 AM