[Firmware] Sansa Express 01.01.12 firmware released

SanDisk has just released the 01.01.12 firmware revision for the Sansa Express. Download links and the release notes are available below.

We suggest you update the firmware through the Sansa Firmware Updater. There is also a how-to video that explains the process. If for any reason the Sansa Firmware Updater does not work for you, feel free to continue by trying the more “computer savy” steps described below.

Sansa Express Firmware | Instructions | Release Notes

Latest: 01.01.12 (As of November, 2008)

New Sansa Firmware Updater (Windows Version Only) - 

The latest Sansa Firmware Updater will update the Sansa Express to the latest firmware.  If you do not have the Sansa Firmware Updater it can be downloaded here: [Download Sansa Firmware Updater

](SanDisk SD Card, Memory Cards, and Flash Drives for PC & Mac | Western Digital)

::: Firmware :::

The 01.01.12 firmware is the latest release as of November, 2008 for the Sansa Express. Firmware and release notes are available below.

For (A) AMERICAS - Download ZIP file
For (E) EUROPE - Download ZIP file

Update instructions:

1. Unzip the files to your Desktop.
  2. You’ll see a file called “StMp3Rec.sys”, move this to "C:\windows\system32\drivers". If you already have this driver, no need to overwrite the files. You should also see another folder, this is the firmware update folder.

Back everything up on your device. The firmware update may delete your files!

1. Press and hold the (-) volume button while plugging in device to PC. This may take a couple of tries, but eventually it connects with a drive letter instead of the “Sansa Express”.
  2. If there’s message asking to install driver, choose “Yes, one time only” and follow the steps to complete driver installation. You should already have the driver as it is included in the zip, but it doesn’t hurt to verify.
  3. Now, open up the firmware folder and double click on “SansaExpressUpdater.exe”.
  4. A message will appear informing you that updating this firmware will erase everything on your device.
  5. Once the update is completed, click on “Finish” and wait for 2 seconds before unpluging your Sansa Express from the computer. This ensures it is updated completely.
  6. Now, you’ve completed updating your device.

::: 01.01.12 Release Notes :::

Fixes:
• After performing a device format, the Music, and Playlist folders are missing
• Button response is slow and sound output is low during low bitrate WMA playback
• Playback of WAV files are not supported
• Low battery condition does not allow charging when using AC adapters
• Device does not play normally when selecting “Play All” under Artist

Enhancements: • Shuffle feature now improved and more random
• 2-hour limitation on recording has been removed; it will record until the memory is full

Message Edited by sansamonsta on 11-24-2008 03:42 PM

For me, anyway, this was more complicated than it appears.

Eventually I had to open Device Manager to know the status; the change from “Player Recovery Device” to “Sandisk Sansa Recovery USB Device” was problematic; in the middle the Express would just start start standalone.   I had to unplug it and plug it in again

On my second (1gb) unit, I got the “have to format” approved and then got this error:

SCSI Sense code: Device reported an undefined sense code.  0xf0, 0x0, 0x9, 0x0, 0x0, 0x3, 3x80, 0xa, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x6, 0x0, 0x22, 0x10, 0x1c

But I still got “Device Updated!” screen at the end.  

It then came up bad; the battery indicator, empty, is at the left of the screen.

I’m trying it again now; may need to reboot the computer.

This isn’t good.

= = = = = 

OK.  

Rebooted the computer, removed the SD card, and ran the update again.

Seems OK now; gets past “Building Database.”

And I do have the updater, and the updater is updated.

It just didn’t run on plugin to tell me I should update.  I hate not being able to easily start the updater on demand.

Another half-hour shot, but the devices are working.

Oy.

Message Edited by LoisCatherine on 11-25-2008 07:56 AM

that was my outcome and i couldn’t do anything else. 

i tried pressing (-) but nothing seems to appear. 

Hi SansaMonsta  is this firmware the original like Sansa Firmware and is it the 01.01.12E2 version also will the Europe Version u have posted enable the Radio Fucntion on as i have bought my player in South Africa (Has the 01.01.12E2 version Firmware) which does not have the FM feature in the menu, but it is detected when i run the player in test mode awaiting your response Thanks …

Same problem here, I’ve got a european version of the Sansa Express.  I’ve just upgraded to 01.01.12E since I’ve had so much trouble with this player.  I sincerely hope this firmware upgrade will fix some of all the issues this player has but I now realize the FM Radio option has disappeared…  Should I try the US firmware?

Any help is welcome!

After MUCH arm wrestling, finally got firmware update downloaded (Sansa Firmware Updater did not work for me -Windows XP- after MANY tries; had to download zip files and go from there). While “Playlist” shows up in the Menu (as it did before upgrade), none of the Playlists I loaded from Windows Media Player (WMP) while in MTS mode were specifically recognized [only the GoList previously recognized]. Am I doing something wrong?  The whole reason I spent 2 days struggling to get this firmware update was so I could load my custom playlists (which I spend a lot of time and research creating) from WMP (which I personally find very user friendly).

Message Edited by Cd123456789 on 12-13-2008 05:17 PM

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=3001

I have I have tried updating the firmware of my SanDIsk Express 1GB mp3 player. I have downloaded 01.01.12a firmware, unzipped it. I have copied the system file StMp3Rec.sys into C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. I have press and hold Vol- button and conencted to my computer(windows XP). It asked for installing the driver. I have seleceted automatically install option. It didnt install, got a message saying that it couldnt find the installation. Please suggest me to proceed further.

Does this new version has any problem with FM. previously my FM was working fine but after updating, it detect the station but no sound output. My Music is working fine

Well I am a newbie to this forum. A simple answer to those who want to update the latest firmware is to first download the “Sansa Firmware updater” first and then it will automatically download the firmware for Sansa Express. After downloading the “Sansa Firmware updater” make sure you backup the data in the player as it will prompt you to Format it .

Message Edited by shaz on 02-10-2009 10:07 PM

How long does the Sansa Updater take to upgrade the firmware to 01.01.12?

It has been running for well over an hour and the popup window just says: Warning: Do not disconnect your device.

Task manager shows SansaExpressUpdater.exe is running, using about +11.400K Mem Usage.

I have a 1GB express connected to a XP machine; any help is appreciated!!

thanks!

My Sansa Express has a corrupted image, I wouild like to wipe it clean and reinstall everything from Linux (recent Ubuntu).  How do I do that?  Thanks.

Hey, 1st, thx for this great gadget, it changed my life!!

Second, is there any wishlist? I would like it not to erase its track memmory (I mean, to remember the track from one time to another) when i plug and unplug it to a computer.

I use lots of files containing audiobooks (mp3 format) and whenever i connect the device to a computer, it will loose the position where I was, and i will have to search for it again.

Thankyou guys for your hard work!!

Hello everyone! I am a new here. I bought Sansa Express 2 Gb.

I have a problem with my player, I decided to update the firmware, but it completely went wrong.

So step-by-step…

1. Sansa Firmware Updater did not work after few tries  (Windows XP), the installation didn’t start.

2. I downloaded the zip file with 01.01.12 firmware for Europe, unzipped it to my Desktop, moved the mentioned file to windows 32/…, then I started the SansaExpressUpdater and after a few seconds I got the message:

"SCSI Sense code: Device reported an undefined sense code

0xf0, 0x0, 0x9, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0xa, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0"

Then the update quickly finished, with text “Your device is updated” but no text no name of the firmware version. Player shut off, then connected again to computer. I tried this many times, but no progress. When I disconnect the player and turn it on only San Disk logo appears and then nothing (black screen).

Please, help me to make my Sansa Express live again!!!

No solution here, but I do have the exact same problem.  Does it feel better to know you’re not alone? 

Dammit…

Anyone have any ideas?

> Anyone have any ideas?

I ordered a Coby 4G mp3 player, has not arrived yet.  It is the same “all in one” format as the Sansa.  It does not have expandable flash and takes a AAA battery, I forget if it can record.  I do not know if it is any better, it hardly seems like it could be worse.   I used to think SanDisk stuff was great, but based on my experiences with the Sansa player that is downgraded to “junk”: takes forever to turn on when loaded with 3GB of music, hard to use (poor user interface), cannot play while charging, bad random play, easy to corrupt and make unusable.  It could be a lot worse, but it could also be a lot better and my guess the competition is better.

Hi i tried to update my sansa express. connect it with the pressing - volume and everything. I didn’t back up just music, and then I formated the sansa.

does anyone can help me with a back up you can share? a copy of your files or something? I cannot update and now it does not even turn on.

I used to have version 01.01.05A, i think any version will help.

I have the same exact problem, but I have the 1GB version and I’m using Windows Vista.  Same exact error message and all.  When I try to connect to the computer it shows a graphic of the mp3 player and the computer connected by some weird blob (looks like static and it’s in the shape of a square).  When the device isn’t connected to the computer and I try to turn it on, I get the SanDisk logo and then nothing.  I hope someone can help.

Nevermind.  I just got mine fixed.  I looked at the “How I debricked my Sansa”, or whatever that forum was called, and here’s how I fixed it:  I held down the (-) key while plugging it in and kept it held down (it may take a few tries); there should be a pop-up asking to install the software, let it automatically find the correct software (should be the top option); once that’s installed, do the usual firmware install, saying yes to formating the player; this time, it works and doesn’t give that annoying error message.  I hope it works for you like it did for me.  :smiley:

See my recent reply.  I finally fixed mine.  It’s all thanks to the debricking forum that’s on Sansa Express’ main page of forums.